Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2016, 20:06   #46

Re: Oxford United Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Surely must rate as the best win of the season under the circumstances, character plus, what a performance and there was one prediction said we were going to loose 3-0, no confidence you twit.!!!!!
Some people just have no faith unlike me
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2016, 21:02   #47

When they got their freak goal I thought oh no not another one of those days. But looking at the over all game we handled the strong wind far better than they and when we got the equaliser seconds after gaining wind advantage I felt there was only gonna be one winner. Superb performance against a strong Oxford team. Made my prediction pretty dam stupid - again - I'm pleased to say. Agree with Exile, motm difficult choice but if pushed I'd have to give my vote to Billy.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 21:28   #48
God Member

Just watching the highlights on channel 5's 'Goal Rush' - apparently we have a Chris McConville playing for us?? This programme doesn't get much better, only saving grace is that it's on at a decent time so can watch it before bedtime.
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 21:33   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Just watching the highlights on channel 5's 'Goal Rush' - apparently we have a Chris McConville playing for us?? This programme doesn't get much better, only saving grace is that it's on at a decent time so can watch it before bedtime.
This is the most 3rd rate football programme i have ever seen, absolute rubbish.
Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Old 20-02-2016, 21:57   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
This is the most 3rd rate football programme i have ever seen, absolute rubbish.
Is it produced by the Crawley game ref?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 22:18   #51
Senior Member+

Heaven forbid we could really do this 'Johnny Coleman football genius'
Old 20-02-2016, 22:20   #52
Senior Member+

Cool Re: Oxford United Match Thread

[QUOTE=cashman;1161701]This is the most 3rd rate football programme i have ever seen,

But am I mistaken Cashy to think that Kenny Dalglish is beginning to look like their Kelly ??..and even in drag he's no great shakes as a TV sports presenter !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 23:06   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
One of the best performances I've seen from Stanley, especially under the circumstances of injuries/red card absences and an extremely strong wind blowing right through the end where Oxford, if only they weren't such a tinpot outfit, should have a stand.
First half Stanley let Oxford play with the wind, and they probably had, slightly, the better of the half. But there goal was a fluke cross (never a 'shot') that simply bounced through defenders and attacker and caught Etheridge flat footed. Other than that, Etheridge was very impressive and commanded his entire box, and sometimes beyond it, well. Second half started perfectly with a great cross from McConville and a Billy Whiz header from, I'd guess, 3.5 yards out at the far post. After that Stanley were superb, playing some delightful close, one-touch inter-passing that made Oxford look flat footed. Their fans started to get at them and they started making more mistakes.
The two 'new' boys, Messrs Boco and Brown, looked a little off the pace at times, not surprisingly, but played their part and can surely only improve with more game time.
Invidious to single out one player as MotM as there were so many to choose from. The back four really controlled a lively and strong forward line, Halliday and Pearson both immense in stifling their attacks down the wing. Messrs Davies and Wright also handled their big front man with assurance. Davies took his first yellow card for the team, after Brown tripped over the ball and let Oxford in, but his second was rash on his part. However, it was also great to see how well the defence handled the enforced changes before and during the game, with Matty Pearson moving into the middle, and Wakefield slotting in perfectly. Even McConville reverted to an emergency left back; by the way, he had a cracking game and showed some maturity throughout. Nice to see Pierro and Sean Mac switching wings and both getting at their defence, Pierro yet again usually having two opponents closing him down whenever he got the ball. As ever, Billy Kee was unbelievably good up against a guy twice his size, battling for 90 minutes and fully deserving a goal. Really liked the look of young Shaw who nearly announced his arrival with what would have been a cracking goal.
But, as Professor Coleman suggested, yet again Captain Conneely was simply huge today. What a team, what performance. What a great result.
A perfect summary! Very hard indeed to select Man of the Match in a fantastic team performance. For me it would be a choice between Conneely and Halliday. I think a special word of praise is due for Liam Wakefield. His full back play is different from Brad Halliday's but equally effective. And he played superbly when he moved to central defence. Well done to all involved in today's success.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:11   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Surely must rate as the best win of the season under the circumstances, character plus, what a performance and there was one prediction said we were going to loose 3-0, no confidence you twit.!!!!!
this twit is as happy as anyone. glad I was wrong. its a bit like the 5-4 Northampton win. oxford is somewhere we have been hammered in the past. its not about no confidence its history. this side as all the skill you want and character is plus. hope the stay aways heed this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:45   #55
God Member

Given the recent events at home, I think a special mention should be made of how well the ref and his male and female assistants handled the game yesterday (settle down, Cashy).
Am I the only one who expects trouble with bald-headed, middle-aged refs? Yesterday's officials appeared very youthful in comparison to some we see, but I thought they contributed to a good game.
Revived Red likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:18   #56
Senior Member+

Having read the reports/seen the videos all I can say is I am sending a letter to the club:
Dear John,
Please can we only pick 10 men to play on Tuesday night, For the last 3 games we have taken 7 points out of 9 with only 10 men.
Yours sincerely
OO.

On a serious note, I am not looking forward to the votes for player and young player of the season. So many stand out performances from the likes of Brad Halliday, Piero Mingoia, Billy Kee and dare I say it, Sean (Chris) McConville. Also the midfield should get a number of votes. Who the dickens do you pick?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 14:53   #57
Senior Member+

For one reason or another, my first game since Morecambe away in August and what a great day out despite the horrible conditions.... My Two pence worth.....

Fair play to Coleman he seems to have assembled a great bunch of lads, that look light years ahead of the squad that I last saw in August. As others have said, despite the 6-7 injuries & suspensions we have the cover available to come in and perform which is great to see.

Personally I was massively impressed with Etheridge in goal, who seems to command his box with brilliant authority. Fair play to him, it cant be easy sitting on the bench for 6 months but seems to have taken his chance. Was nattering with his Dad and family during the game and they look a proud bunch!

Also must mention Halliday who looks a fantastic prospect. He literally didnt miss a tackle for the 90+ minutes , what a player. Any chance we could keep him beyond the summer?!

As expected Boco and Brown looked a little off the pace, which was expected given their lack of gametime over the last few weeks and month, but fair play to them to have kept going.

As a few have mentioned, this season seems to have mirrored the playoff year with the lack of injuries and suspensions, but I just hope we can cope with the ever growing list of casualties (particularly in defence).

On Stanley On
cashman likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 14:54   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Having read the reports/seen the videos all I can say is I am sending a letter to the club:
Dear John,
Please can we only pick 10 men to play on Tuesday night, For the last 3 games we have taken 7 points out of 9 with only 10 men.
Yours sincerely
OO.

On a serious note, I am not looking forward to the votes for player and young player of the season. So many stand out performances from the likes of Brad Halliday, Piero Mingoia, Billy Kee and dare I say it, Sean (Chris) McConville. Also the midfield should get a number of votes. Who the dickens do you pick?
Pick 'em all !!!!
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:52   #59
God Member

must play chris mcconville tomorrow night. far better prospect than sean mccoville. best debut for a long time.
AccyMad, Outback Ozzy and cashman like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..