Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 19:28   #1
God Member

Paul Scholes

So Paul Scholes has been announced as the new manager of Oldham Athletic,even though he owns a stake in Salford City & the EFL are ok with that. Surprise, surprise - they can bend the rules when it suits them, depending on who you are of course.
So, what happens if Salford who are currently riding high in the Conference gain promotion to League 2 - I presume then Scholes would have to either resign from Oldham or relinquish his shares in Salford, time will tell . . . . . . .
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2019, 13:56   #2
God Member

Re: Paul Scholes

think he owns ten per cent of their shares. he could have passed em over to a family member though and nothing much would have been said then. does sound a bit strange and if they do play salford next season whatever the score or result it will not stop any finger pointing because of his situation.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:27   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its not against any rules, yeh can have 10% slong as yeh dont have a position with a club, a position of working that is.
Old 12-02-2019, 16:48   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its not against any rules, yeh can have 10% slong as yeh dont have a position with a club, a position of working that is.
i imagine when they made the rules they would never have thought that something like the paul scholes situation would crop up. it must be a conflict of interest if salford and oldham are in the same division next season as his shares were purchased for investment purposes up against his employer.
Old 12-02-2019, 17:01   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Never said the rules are right just said what they are.
Old 12-02-2019, 18:22   #6
God Member

And yet look at the fuss kicked up by the EFL when AH dared to buy our lads a burger or two last season - like I said, depends who you are when they decide what rules apply . . . .
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:58   #7
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
And yet look at the fuss kicked up by the EFL when AH dared to buy our lads a burger or two last season - like I said, depends who you are when they decide what rules apply . . . .
So what's the difference between a Beef burger and a Rich burger
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:05   #8
God Member

Wish Scholes and Oldham well but, as Accymad suggests, it smacks of hypocrisy from the EFL.
According to its own website, Para 104 of the EFL rules clearly state that no-one can have “interests in more than one football club”.
“Interests” include owning shares and being involved in the management of a club.
Oh, but hang on, it’s OK. The EFL can allow it’s rules to be ignored “under exceptional circumstances”.
Mmm, I wonder if it’s Scholes’ associations with Oldham, Salford, or Manchester United Inc that make his case “exceptional”?

It’s a big “if” that Salford will be playing Oldham next season (maybe more likely if Scholes proves to be a useless manager?) but, if they do, I just hope it’s not in an end of season match that decides either club’s ‘fate’. Otherwise the result, whatever it is, will be fair game for conspiracy theorists.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:07   #9
Senior Member+

Why do you think there was all the talk of Beckham getting involved ? If there had been a problem Scholes 10% would have been “given” to Golden balls.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It is Gross Hypocrisy to me, but its in rules, if rules are poorly written or yeh got knobheads interpreting em thats another argument to me?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 20:25   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
So Paul Scholes has been announced as the new manager of Oldham Athletic,even though he owns a stake in Salford City & the EFL are ok with that. Surprise, surprise - they can bend the rules when it suits them, depending on who you are of course.
So, what happens if Salford who are currently riding high in the Conference gain promotion to League 2 - I presume then Scholes would have to either resign from Oldham or relinquish his shares in Salford, time will tell . . . . . . .
Is the Vanarama League, (often referred to as the National League or Football Conference), actually part of the EFL? If not, then I presume they have their own rules? If so, then perhaps Scholes has not actually broken any rules ........Yet!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:45   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Is the Vanarama League, (often referred to as the National League or Football Conference), actually part of the EFL? If not, then I presume they have their own rules? If so, then perhaps Scholes has not actually broken any rules ........Yet!
The EFL ‘rules’ include the National League. That’s why Scholes had to get special permission.
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance...al-provisions/
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 11:37   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Why do you think there was all the talk of Beckham getting involved ? If there had been a problem Scholes 10% would have been “given” to Golden balls.
beckham got his 10 per cent from peter lim salfords main money man before the scholes issue came up.
Old 13-02-2019, 11:39   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It is Gross Hypocrisy to me, but its in rules, if rules are poorly written or yeh got knobheads interpreting em thats another argument to me?
for a cynic like me i think rules are poorly written on purpose to allow stuff like this to go on. its never black or white but a mucky grey where football authorities are concerned.
Old 13-02-2019, 11:52   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
for a cynic like me i think rules are poorly written on purpose to allow stuff like this to go on. its never black or white but a mucky grey where football authorities are concerned.
Yeh may well be correct with that assumption mate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..