Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2011, 17:35   #31
God Member

Re: Phil Edwards

I suppose we will have to wait and see as you say New Red as to who assembles for pre-season.

Still early days yet and as Shaker points out further up the thread certain player have shown their capabilities and certainly deserve their chance at pastures new.

A players career can be relatively short and change in the blink of an eye and sometimes those opportunities may not come around again.

The challenge again for everyone this season is too prove the critics wrong and improve on last season

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2011, 18:33   #32
Senior Member+

Fair play to Phil for getting the chance at League One level, and I hope he does well.

Just a shame its with those clowns.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 20:15   #33
Senior Member+

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED !!!!
For me Phil is a LEGEND !!!!
He will go down as one of our very best servants in our modern era. Hardly missed a match in years, hard as nails, a real battler, a very clever defender and a no nonsense old fashioned penalty taker. Also a superb example to other players around him. One of his greatest assests is his vision and ability to read how opponents are shaping an attack. He moves into position long before others have sussed out the play. This skill to read the situation has enabled himto outplay virtually all opposing forwards most of whom "dwarf" him. I fully understand Phil going up a division and probably for much better pay.
I would like to pass on my thanks for his fantastic service to Stanley and wish him the best for the future, (except if he plays against us of course!)
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 00:33   #34
God Member

good luck Phil and thanks for the memories (particularly all those against Morecambe)

on the subject of penalties it really is a shame that Gornell has gone as I believe he wanted to take penalties last year - imagine if he'd been able to convert all Phil's and add them to his own tally! Certainly should be going to better clubs than Invershaggingness!
Old 28-06-2011, 07:41   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Certainly should be going to better clubs than Invershaggingness!
Not so sure about that, Macca! Playing in front of a full house at Ibrox or Celtic Park has a certain appeal. Cally have a nice new stadium in a wonderful area.

Last edited by Redraine; 28-06-2011 at 07:42. Reason: punctuation
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:15   #36
God Member

Phil's comments in the Telegraph

Edwards walks out on Stanley for Stevenage (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 28-06-2011, 18:26   #37
God Member

“But the club have had better players than me before, so they will move on.

“I hope they do well.”

That's highly debatable Phil. A true gent. Good luck mate.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 21:13   #38
God Member

very sad at this news (especially with it being to Stevenage) but really can't blame him for moving to a higher league and I wish him all the best for the rest of his football career and a very happy future for him and Danielle (real genuine couple).

They will always have a place in the stanley family and I very much doubt anyone would disagree with that!!

Keep up with the johnson's holiday sun phil as sunbeds are no longer your favoured tanning option

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 22:50   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just a thought, Who's gonna take sodding penalties now Phils gone?
Old 28-06-2011, 23:02   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just a thought, Who's gonna take sodding penalties now Phils gone?
Pick any one of our four players Cashie ........... Preferably not Proccie, though, after his last few
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 23:12   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Pick any one of our four players Cashie ........... Preferably not Proccie, though, after his last few
That was what promted me to post this.
Old 29-06-2011, 09:48   #42
God Member

francis jeffers?
Old 29-06-2011, 10:28   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
francis jeffers?
Been invited to build his fitness up. Round about 10 years too late if you ask me
Old 29-06-2011, 10:34   #44
God Member

same article says that it is unlikely that we could match his wage demands. It really bugs me though, like you say Dave, 10 years too late, but what has he done over the last 10 years that warrants any kind of wages at all?
Old 30-06-2011, 12:04   #45
Junior Member+

There's an interesting piece by Edwards in our local paper -
http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/edwards_says_league_1_football_was_too_good_an_opp ortunity_to_turn_down_1_948533[/URL]

He seems a good honest lad and I think we were lucky to get him on a free, especially considering that we don't pay big wages. I can't see him wanting to keep the bench warm for most of the season and would imagine he'll get a couple of run outs in the freindlies to see where he fits in.
BoroBri is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..