Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2017, 09:27   #16
God Member

Re: Pies

It's time the club got rid of the outside caterers at the away end & brought catering in-house like the fanzone.

funny that a lot of non league clubs do in house catering and although its a similar price to league clubs it,s a lot more edible and the lasses that serve who in a lot of cases are volunteers seem to have a smile on their faces.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2017, 10:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Other than forest green, is there a single club who sells edible pies fit for human consumption?
Kidderminster even at 5 quid a throw was always well worth a go and always sold out before half time.
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Gentlemen,
Your fond memories of pie based consumables at other grounds only detracts from Katie's original problem.
Why can't away fans buy a bleedin pie at the Wham?????????????
It's time the club got rid of the outside caterers at the away end & brought catering in-house like the fanzone.
Surely this would put catering profits back into the club & stop away fans leaving the Wham with a bitter taste in their mouth.
I.m very surprised that AH hasnt replicated the fan zone at the away end and taken the catering in house

I.d be pretty sure that the total fans using the away end over a season wouldnt be far off the Clayton total and that would be made up for by the fact that away fans tend to have a larger food/drink spend

And yes i remember the Carlisle spat over the catering vans but people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones the catering and service at BP is just about the worst in the league and thats at a club thats owned by a local pie manufacturer/retailer.
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:51   #19

Lord Stiff - think Chris thinks the cost of a pie is too high? My response was aimed at that.

Don't really have any views on Away fans catering except to say it would be nice if they let the Away fans into the fanzone.
Chrisr and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:58   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Lord Stiff - think Chris thinks the cost of a pie is too high? My response was aimed at that.

Don't really have any views on Away fans catering except to say it would be nice if they let the Away fans into the fanzone.
The price is irrelevant if yeh cant get one? not to have any views on away fans catering is never likely to increase our poor attendance?
Chrisr and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Old 26-07-2017, 15:17   #21

Northernsoul,
If my memory serves me right, the criticism from the CUFC fans last year was because one of their fans had posted on their forum along the lines that they were in for a treat at the Wham, as you could buy a pie & a pint for a fiver - football cordon bleu!
Unfortunately, he was unaware that this deal was limited to the home fanzone.
Needless to say he was tarred & feathered after the starving Cumbrians discovered that the only treat awaiting them were tins of beer & overpriced burgers.
Can't comment on the catering at Brunton Park, but assume that even away fans can at least buy a pie????
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 20:48   #22

A little disingenuous there Cashy if I may say so. I made two unrelated points:
1. That I don't think £2.50 is not expensive for a pie (but Chris thinks it is)
2. I have no views on Away catering because I've never been there, know very little about the situation, so find myself unable to comment. (I know that ignorance doesn't stop some people voicing off). Whatever the situation is, allowing Away fans into the fanzone seems a nice idea to me. Obviously the laid back bar staff would need to pull their socks up to deal with the additional demand but since it's only for 15 mins I'm sure they could if they tried.
Chrisr likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:09   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
A little disingenuous there Cashy if I may say so. I made two unrelated points:
1. That I don't think £2.50 is not expensive for a pie (but Chris thinks it is)
2. I have no views on Away catering because I've never been there, know very little about the situation, so find myself unable to comment. (I know that ignorance doesn't stop some people voicing off). Whatever the situation is, allowing Away fans into the fanzone seems a nice idea to me. Obviously the laid back bar staff would need to pull their socks up to deal with the additional demand but since it's only for 15 mins I'm sure they could if they tried.
Why disingenuous? its obvious that some fans enjoy a pie and a pint as a ritual at football matches, away fans we live off cos our homers certainly dont,so the fact they cant have a pie when we can may well put some off returning,?
Old 27-07-2017, 08:22   #24
God Member

as a club who really do not have enough home fans we have to make the wham a better experiance for away fans as we need em more than a lot of clubs do. with the position and geography of our ground plus most of the teams being southern based i imagine they turn up thirsty and hungry. a lot of home fans i imagine live say 10 mins. up the road so drink and food will be less of an importance. an open terrace or a bus shelter to sit in hardly puts us on top of the list to visit and poor catering facilities especially in winter could be the last straw.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
as a club who really do not have enough home fans we have to make the wham a better experiance for away fans as we need em more than a lot of clubs do. with the position and geography of our ground plus most of the teams being southern based i imagine they turn up thirsty and hungry. a lot of home fans i imagine live say 10 mins. up the road so drink and food will be less of an importance. an open terrace or a bus shelter to sit in hardly puts us on top of the list to visit and poor catering facilities especially in winter could be the last straw.
Spot on my Simian friend!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 27-07-2017, 09:11   #26
Senior Member+

Well said monkey hanger

We need a USP beyond our name, and if that's high quality home made catering then so be it.

It all helps, and no doubt it can bring in a decent profit
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:18   #27
God Member

Half decent food at the Crown ground would certainly be a USP that very few other clubs could compete with.
Morecambe has (not quite literally) been dining out on having (allegedly) the best pie in the league for some time.
Mrs Exile and I mainly attend away games, and do not buy the c**p on offer at many other grounds a second time around.
As far as I can judge, the quality on offer has nothing to do with the size of the crowd or stadium. Big venues also sell inedible food and tepid tea, usually at even higher prices. FGR, for all the ranting about veganism, and Morecambe show it's got nothing to do with the number of customers, just the will to offer something slightly better than the worst possible food that a captive and hungry punter will eat.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:43   #28

We all know the club have had only limited success in attracting more home fans to the Wham.
However, the potential of attracting more away supporters has largely been ignored.
Feedback from visiting fans regarding their visits to the Wham have not been exactly glowing.
As far as I am aware, there have been no real improvements at the Coppice end for many years - and it shows!
I know these cost money, but perhaps the club should consider this as a matter of priority.
Surely we want visiting fans to feel welcome & to make their visit an enjoyable experience.
This would quickly pay dividends if future posts on away fans forums were unanimous in their praise of visiting the Wham;
'Always an enjoyable experience to visit Accy. Warm, friendly welcome and the best value beer & pies in League 2!'
At the moment, I wouldn't repeat some of the comments I've read on what away fans think of their recent visits.
cashman, Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Old 27-07-2017, 17:56   #29
God Member

Summer 2016 should have seen The Whinney Hill stand go up - it didnt
Summer 2017 should have seen the Main Stand redevelopment - it hasnt

I think Andy has downed tools
Old 27-07-2017, 18:24   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Dont think so meself, reckon its been spent elsewhere?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..