Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2017, 10:10   #1

Pies

Hello,

My name is Katie and I am part of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pies. We have created a website based around sport's stadia and their pies. Within the Sisterhood, there are four of us all studying Football Business and Marketing at UCFB.

Our degree doesn't just involve assignments and exams, it is also about gaining experience in the Football Industry and meeting people who are profoundly involved in the careers we intend to pursue.

You can read our blog post about our recent visit to Accrington Stanley here... Accrington Stanley ? Sisterhood of the Travelling Pies

Despite not finding any pies on the day, we would appreciate feedback and comments regarding matchday food and your personal thoughts...

Many Thanks
[email protected]
sisterhoodofpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2017, 11:23   #2

Re: Pies

Please refer to the "who ate all the pies" thread on here. Some very interesting posts!
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:58   #3
Full Member+

I do find pies are expensive at football grounds. Currently £2.50 at ours. A bit OTT. they could sell Pie and peas for £2 and still have a good mark up. I know the smaller clubs need the revenue but they could increase the volume. Generally food at football grounds are not of the best quality to say the least. People just accept the lower quality as part of the football experience.
monkey hanger likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 20:31   #4
God Member

Pretty sure we had some at the home end

I'm not a fan of the Pukka Pie as football ground fayre, the pastry is too thick and holds the temperature of the filling for far too long. HOWEVER, I am slightly forced to retract my original disdain of the Pukka Pie as I forced myself to use a fork last time out. This meant that smaller amounts of grub went in my mouth at any one offering, so I didnt burn myself to the same degree. The pie was indeed reasonably tasty.

Alas, I will now retract my retraction because I want to eat my pie with my hands.

And a further note of desolation, i dont want it open in a tray. When half time comes I want my pie, I want my pint and I want 3 cigarettes. Hollands Pies were nicely cellophaned up so I could get two pie n pint deals and pop one pie in each jacket pocket whilst I slurp lager and create my nicotine cloud. Ergo, my expenditure has decreased.
Old 25-07-2017, 20:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Pretty sure we had some at the home end
This is the root of the problem!
I remember we debated this matter last season & the club have done nothing to resolve it.
I know we treat the subject of pies as a source of humour but for a lot of fans, a pie & a pint is a matchday ritual.
Massive Pukka Pie hoardings dominate the wham, yet away fans aren't able to buy one!
I remember last season the vitriol on the Carlisle forum, not about the game, but the dire catering on offer to away fans.
The 'Sisterhood of the travelling pies' article only makes us look ridiculous.
Last week, some friends who came to support PNE, were charged over £4 for a burger at the away end, whilst Stanley fans are charged £2.50!
Surely we want away fans to enjoy their visit to the Wham, rather than leaving feeling disappointed, or worse - ripped-off!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 21:26   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
This is the root of the problem!
I remember we debated this matter last season & the club have done nothing to resolve it.
I know we treat the subject of pies as a source of humour but for a lot of fans, a pie & a pint is a matchday ritual.
Massive Pukka Pie hoardings dominate the wham, yet away fans aren't able to buy one!
I remember last season the vitriol on the Carlisle forum, not about the game, but the dire catering on offer to away fans.
The 'Sisterhood of the travelling pies' article only makes us look ridiculous.
Last week, some friends who came to support PNE, were charged over £4 for a burger at the away end, whilst Stanley fans are charged £2.50!
Surely we want away fans to enjoy their visit to the Wham, rather than leaving feeling disappointed, or worse - ripped-off!
If thats what we do to away fans, why the hell should they ever return to the Wham? its certainly not encouraging them to do so. STUPID IMHO.
Old 25-07-2017, 22:38   #7

Pies at Watford cost £4. At Swansea they are £3.60.... don't think either can be described as affluent areas. £2.50 for our pies, however crap they are, represent remarkable value. Simply remarkable.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 22:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Pies at Watford cost £4. At Swansea they are £3.60.... don't think either can be described as affluent areas. £2.50 for our pies, however crap they are, represent remarkable value. Simply remarkable.
Lord D. No one disputes the undoubted value of the pies at the Wham.
The problem, as highlighted in the post from 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pies', is that away fans are unable to buy one - at any price!
Old 26-07-2017, 04:06   #9
Senior Member+

Other than forest green, is there a single club who sells edible pies fit for human consumption?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 05:23   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Other than forest green, is there a single club who sells edible pies fit for human consumption?
You some kind of nut cutlet, quorn sossy munching weirdo?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-football-club
Old 26-07-2017, 06:14   #11
God Member

Quote:
Only places I've experienced edible offerings were at Kidderminster Harriers (excellent but not cheap, and quite some time ago) and Brizzle Rovers (best pasties this side of the Tamar). Unfortunately, neither on Stanley's itinerary this year. Most food and hot drinks at most grounds is over-priced and pretty disgusting.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:57   #12
God Member

Quote:
other than forest green is there another club that forces fans to be a veggie for the day. what has always made me wonder is why clubs charge high prices inside grounds when they have a number of cafe,s around em. doesn,t apply at stanley but does in a lot of places.
Revived Red likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:20   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
other than forest green is there another club that forces fans to be a veggie for the day. what has always made me wonder is why clubs charge high prices inside grounds when they have a number of cafe,s around em. doesn,t apply at stanley but does in a lot of places.
To me they charge high prices,simply cos the greedy sods know damn well people wi a few bevvies in em are likely to pay up imho.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 26-07-2017, 08:59   #14

Gentlemen,
Your fond memories of pie based consumables at other grounds only detracts from Katie's original problem.
Why can't away fans buy a bleedin pie at the Wham?????????????
It's time the club got rid of the outside caterers at the away end & brought catering in-house like the fanzone.
Surely this would put catering profits back into the club & stop away fans leaving the Wham with a bitter taste in their mouth.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:25   #15
God Member

Or no taste in their mouth cos they couldn't purchase a pie. . . . . .
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..