Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 18:34   #256
Full Member+

Re: Pitch

To bring the thread back to the pitch, I must say it worried me today! The area between the Whinney Hill side and the Clayton End was somewhat reminiscent of a bog! People told me that there's been an awful lot of rain in Accy over the last 24 hours, but if it doesn't improve significantly over the next few weeks, I can see more postponements this season. Even Jimmy Bell felt moved to comment on it as he passed at the end of the half-time break. Fingers crossed!!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2010, 19:24   #257
Resting in Peace

[quote=Oldgobbin;834930]! People told me that there's been an awful lot of rain in Accy over the last 24 hours,quote]

Not that much, Stan. If it's boggy after such a small amount of rain it makes you wonder how the new drains will ever cope with real downpours. I'm worried too, and have always thought that 70 grand would not be enough to get to the bottom of the historical problems.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:10   #258
Senior Member+

I am still not convinced that the answer does not lie in a good top-dressing of muck !!

And there's plenty of it about Red !!!!!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 23:51   #259
Full Member+

The pitch at at the clayton end /cowshed corner is a concern. I saw one occasion today when the ball dropped and didn't even bounce and we're only in August. It may be a case of gettin the contracters back in for corrective the work that needs to be done, but Dillon's comments are those of a tosspot. Quite simply, he's trying to cover up the ineptitude of his side who were expecting an easy win today/ yesterday

Last edited by Reamer; 08-08-2010 at 00:00. Reason: pulling a cork
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41   #260
Senior Member+

An accredited expert and his team are at hand even as I write Reamer...

Own manure provided !!...

NB !....NO PRIZES FOR SPOTTING WHINNEY HILL IN THE BACKGROUND ??

Last edited by yonmon; 08-08-2010 at 10:43.
Old 08-08-2010, 13:47   #261
Full Member+

Think I recognise a couple of those operaters, have they worked on our field before ??
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:07   #262
Senior Member+

The Contractors could try PLAN 'B' Reamer...but only as a last resort !!

[/SIZE]
[B]Miracles really do happen !!!. !![/B]

Last edited by yonmon; 09-08-2010 at 17:16.
Old 09-08-2010, 18:15   #263
God Member

You would be forgiven for thinking that there has been more than enough "manure" thrown around our little club this close season, however I find it amazing that none of it landed on the pitch........how weird

Yonmon, on a personal note, it was a delight to meet you on Saturday

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:33   #264
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Copyed and pasted this off the clubs e-mail news letter

After recent comments regarding the state of the Crown Ground pitch after Saturday's 0-0 draw with Aldershot, Stanley’s next home game is against Macclesfield on August 21 and managing director Dave O’Neill hit back:

“There was an accumulation of things that probably put us back by a fortnight. The weather in East Lancashire certainly didn't help. We’ve got the pitch contractor coming back now for the next fortnight to put the final stages of work into it."

“When we did get it seeded it was the driest spell it could possibly have been and once the grass started growing it’s just been flooded. For the last five or six weeks we’ve had nothing but rain."

Mr O' Neil also said, “We did try to postpone the game last Friday but the Football League said it was our home fixture and it would give us an advantage later on if we had three home games in a row."

He added, “But the contractors have assured us that they can pull it around. “I’m told the drains take three months to get working and they’ve only had two. At which point the pitch should be in great shape.”
Stanley boss John Coleman added: “The pitch hampered us with the way it softened up. “But I think it will be all right. I think in a couple of weeks you’ll see a different pitch.”
Old 09-08-2010, 19:55   #265
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Copyed and pasted this off the clubs e-mail news letter

After recent comments regarding the state of the Crown Ground pitch after Saturday's 0-0 draw with Aldershot, Stanley’s next home game is against Macclesfield on August 21 and managing director Dave O’Neill hit back:

“There was an accumulation of things that probably put us back by a fortnight. The weather in East Lancashire certainly didn't help. We’ve got the pitch contractor coming back now for the next fortnight to put the final stages of work into it."

“When we did get it seeded it was the driest spell it could possibly have been and once the grass started growing it’s just been flooded. For the last five or six weeks we’ve had nothing but rain."

Mr O' Neil also said, “We did try to postpone the game last Friday but the Football League said it was our home fixture and it would give us an advantage later on if we had three home games in a row."

He added, “But the contractors have assured us that they can pull it around. “I’m told the drains take three months to get working and they’ve only had two. At which point the pitch should be in great shape.”
Stanley boss John Coleman added: “The pitch hampered us with the way it softened up. “But I think it will be all right. I think in a couple of weeks you’ll see a different pitch.”
Mark,It disappointed me to read in the Telegraph that the £70,000 which our benefactor Ilyas Khan had bestowed upon the Club for the Pitch improvements was actually a 'parting gift' !..
I didn't like the connotations in the word 'parting'.....seemed rather final and a little bit sinister to me !...and I hope that Ilyas has yet much to offer to the Club which he supports so admirably !... I'm sure that I am not alone in these sentiments!!
Old 09-08-2010, 21:57   #266
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Gotta say yonmon, it usually disappoints me reading the telegraph these days, hence why i very rarely buy it, they spout more crap than the picture ya posted, so i would say "Take It With A Pinch" thats my view anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 22:11   #267
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Gotta say yonmon, it usually disappoints me reading the telegraph these days, hence why i very rarely buy it, they spout more crap than the picture ya posted, so i would say "Take It With A Pinch" thats my view anyway.
But which rascal would feed them the 'crap' you speak of in the first place Cashy ?.
Surely no representative of Accrington Stanley would wish to confuse or mislead the Fans by releasing 'news' which might contain inaccuracies ?...

Incidentally, the chap on my Avatar is the latest addition to my 'family'...Meet 'Stanley Hope' !!!

Last edited by yonmon; 09-08-2010 at 22:16.
Old 09-08-2010, 22:16   #268
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
But which rascal would feed them the 'crap' you speak of in the first place Cashy ?.
Surely no representative of Accrington Stanley would wish to confuse or mislead the Fans by releasing 'news' which might contain inaccuracies ?...

Well with the media, if they aint got a 1st rate rascal, a second rate one will do, if they aint got that, the power of invention tends to come into play, so basically i can't say which rascal. P.S.perhaps Alfred E knows?
Old 09-08-2010, 22:29   #269
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well with the media, if they aint got a 1st rate rascal, a second rate one will do, if they aint got that, the power of invention tends to come into play, so basically i can't say which rascal. P.S.perhaps Alfred E knows?
Do you realise that this is the most diplomatic answer you have ever posted Cashy !!!...

( ps. Since 'Stanley Hope' moved in AE has gone into a sulk..
just sits there singing 'On Stanley...on Boys' and blowing his Vulvazulu !)
Old 09-08-2010, 22:41   #270
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Do you realise that this is the most diplomatic answer you have ever posted Cashy !!!...
Can't help it , is me background in the diplomatic circles, cultured as FOOT is our cashy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..