Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2016, 22:38   #46
Senior Member+

Re: PLAY OFF LEG 2 Home v Wimbledon (0-1 First leg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Devastated,was one number out on the half time draw,new rhen it would go pear shaped !!!
Start again next season,I think they shaded it over two legs
You can't win them all !.... neither can the Reds....thought Seamus Conneely played a Captains role and was the best midfielder on show by far !.
Wimbledon defended well when it was needed to their credit.

Then the lights went out !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2016, 22:46   #47

What. A. Goal.

https://streamable.com/v70j
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 22:47   #48
Member.

It's unfortunate and regrettable that I haven't had the opportunity to see Accrington play and grow over the season; but I can't have anything else but pride in every point they have taken this season and as disappointed as I am for John and the lads it's just another short step to the inevitable achievement of highly league football. Ten years ago John Colman said there was no reason why Accrington couldn't make a decent Championship team; they have proved it's not impossible.

Like Mani I believe the season closed at Stevenage and as hard as they fought today their luck, the giveaway goals and the Ref betrayed them. What a shot that second from Piero Mingoia fantastic stuff and little Romy Boco. This is our best team in years; we have good ownership, good leadership, and good a team. Next season we will do it. Thank you Accrington Stanley. Forever Red.

And next Season I get to go and see Accy cream the donkey pokers. Cool.
Outback Ozzy, yonmon and Accy Mad like this.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 22:54   #49
Senior Member+

I just want to add my disgust that the guy who tackled rommy with his elbow.

Apparently Rommy has been taken to hospital for a check up as quite a few of his teeth are loose.

Get well soon Rommy!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 3 others like this.
Old 18-05-2016, 23:02   #50

What a game, tight first half got the goal to equalise. Then piero scored a worldy that surely was going to send us to Wembley. But no alas a defensive mix up gifts the dons the chance to cross for our nemesis the beast. From there I still felt we could do it but the dons created pressure and edged through. On the Clayton end tonight at times the atmosphere was extremely loud and brilliant. I liked the chant "we'll play in the dark, we are accy Stanley we'll play in the dark". I hope we can keep a lot of this team together for an assault on the automatics again next year. Whatever it's been a great season.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 23:11   #51
God Member

Gutted! How can we score a worldy like Piero did & not be going to Wembley?? Wimbledon's bully boy tactics won the game in the end - absolute disgrace that the elbow on Rommy went unpunished - ok, the inept ref eventually gave a yellow for it but it was a red card all day long!!
At the end of the day, Coley asked the lads for a blood & guts performance & to a man they gave just that - so proud of our team tonight, enjoy your summer lads - it's been hard earned, we go again in August, can't wait.

P.s. - only 2 months to pre season friendly v Preston, it'll fly by
yonmon, monkey hanger and Accy Mad like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 23:12   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
I just want to add my disgust that the guy who tackled rommy with his elbow.

Apparently Rommy has been taken to hospital for a check up as quite a few of his teeth are loose.

Get well soon Rommy!

To be honest mani, think they got away with murder, like Satanage did in last play offs. but thats life, crap refs in all divisions the lower the division the more yeh get, i reckon.
Old 18-05-2016, 23:15   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Game was panning out as I had hoped,tight first half,Nick a goal,score a worldy before they settled,but to their credit,they went 4-3-3 and got back into the game,but it was poor defending all around.
Big disappointment for me tonight was Josh,big fan of his,but last three games he's just not delivered.
Moved him around in various positions,but I would of taken him off as he just wasn't at the top of his game.
we had the same conversation oer Josh, a class penalty but sod all else for a few games.
Old 18-05-2016, 23:15   #54

Decent performance overall. If they had showed the same ambition against Stevenage Stanley would have been automatic.
monkey hanger likes this.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 23:25   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Decent performance overall. If they had showed the same ambition against Stevenage Stanley would have been automatic.
No doubt. They sat back played for the draw and I'm sure nerves got to them too

Old 18-05-2016, 23:31   #56
Senior Member+

Simply devastated with the result over the two legs!!
The Stanley pitch was prepared superbly by 'Buzza' for tonight and it was in the condition for good, passing football to be played on it.
Stanley played some super passing football
but at times some of our passes out of defence went astray!
I thought the 'WONDER GOAL' by PIERRO would have made a fitting 'Match Winner'....it was just STUNNING! Pierro had his best game for a few weeks and caused their defence all sorts of problems.
Our defence played well but were under pressure particularly from half time onwards! ....hmmmmm?......Inevitably though, it was a defensive slip that allowed them to score!
The 'BIG FELLA' is so difficult to play against, especially when he is allowed to get away with so much pushing and shoving just as he did in the first leg too. He wasn't the only one though as Wimbledon's foul count tonight was 21 to our 7....! I too thought the lad should have been sent off for the elbow in Rommy's face! Or perhaps I am looking for excuses or....... are our Stanley players just not 'dirty' enough?
Stanley have played some wonderful football this season and with just a little bit more luck we would have been promoted!
Still, it has been really good not to have been worried by the threat of relegation for a change!

It will be quite hard for us to keep this team together once again as other clubs will have seen what we have achieved......I really really hope that we can keep the likes of Pierro Mingoia who is a delight to watch. I know that we are losing Windass and Crooks to Rangers but I do hope that we keep the majority of the rest of the squad and that Coley can do some more 'Close Season Magic' and find some more 'GEMS' to replace them. (Rangers are building quite a big squad so who knows, perhaps Crooksy or Windass might come back 'on loan'?)
Well done to all at Stanley this season! Here's to another great season next year!
ON STANLEY ON

Last edited by choirboy; 18-05-2016 at 23:37.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 23:53   #57
Senior Member+

Just watched Coley's interview on the 'Fishy' site and he seems to disagree with me about the pitch??? It looked pretty good to me .......especially when I think of the condition it was in when I played on it in the late sixties and seventies! (Last century!)
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 00:47   #58
Full Member+

Coley looked exhausted in the post match interview. I hope he and Jimmy have a good month off, they certainly deserve it! I'm not taking the p!ss but the Liverpool result won't have helped either. What a crap night he's had!

Last edited by winstanley asfc; 19-05-2016 at 00:50.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:54   #59
God Member

Like everyone else who follows our great little club, I was very disappointed with the result. But them's the breaks. So pleased to read on here that our guys 'gave their all' and didn't roll over. I give them and John & Jimmy etc.,my sincere thanks for an exciting season,and I tell you what -'that its much more fun being at the higher end of the table than the lower'. I tip my hat to the Ultras and anyone else that goes to away days. I truly admire you all.
Next season-Same again please.
AccyMad, Greeny, choirboy and 2 others like this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 05:03   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
That's got to be THE GOAL of the Play Offs at ANY level.

I did not go to Wycombe instead seeing my other team Sheffield Wednesday win 3-0 in the clincher for the 4th championship play off place over and against Cardiff.

Any happiness over that and our win at Wycombe was ruined by the fact both Oxford and Bristol had won because I knew they would win their games and we would not beat Stevenage 'cos of their form and hold over us and that we would not win the play offs based on last time.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..