Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2016, 10:03   #16
Full Member+

Re: play offs. good or bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Am i right in remembering that at one time there were play offs for relegation too? Something at the back of my mind's telling me that the top two from one league played the bottom two from the league above - then again my mind's still frazzled from yesterday so am probably completely wrong
In the first two years of the playoffs - 1987 & 1988 - the playoffs involved one team from the higher division and three teams from the lower division.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2016, 12:49   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
In the first two years of the playoffs - 1987 & 1988 - the playoffs involved one team from the higher division and three teams from the lower division.
Cheers, shows me brain's not completely addled yet then
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 06:46   #18

Have always thought that a fairer system would be (based on League 2)

6th v 7th (Home & Away)
Winner plays 5th (Home & Away)
Winner plays 4th at Wembley.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:17   #19

The problem with that is the higher placed clubs have had too long off before they play> Just look what happens when clubs rest players the last couple of matches of the season because they know they're in the play offs and have have nothing left to play for. Very rare they get through.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:42   #20
God Member

brighton lost over two legs. missed out on automatics on goal difference. any other simalites come to mind. play offs what a farce. any brighton fans reading this you have my complete sympathy for you and you,re team.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:33   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
brighton lost over two legs. missed out on automatics on goal difference. any other simalites come to mind. play offs what a farce. any brighton fans reading this you have my complete sympathy for you and you,re team.
Exactly they were 15 pts clear of the team that put em out, oer a season, yet some think thats ok.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..