Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2016, 23:04   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Playoff Leg 1 - Away at Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
No, mate, his job is to score! May as well play a proper defender instead if all you want him to do is block.��
I knew this would happen the minute the teams were announced. If we didn't win, there would only be one player to blame - plus of course John and Jimmy for nepotism. I've chosen this particular slagging off post to quote because it allows me to point out that it is equally Billy's job to score, Josh's job to score, and Piero's job to score - and none of them had a shot on target all night, and I'm not sure about last Saturday either. Tarique was on target, deflected on to the post as soon as he came on, but that was that for him too.

I don't think he's great and never did - but he's a damn sight better then half a dozen of you ever give him credit for. All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support

See you on Wednesday. On Stanley On!!
Oldgobbin, AccyMad, DAV007 and 4 others like this.
Old 14-05-2016, 23:36   #62
Senior Member+

100% agree chimer, right or wrong,Sean can be poor but has the ability to score from nothing.
Fosu looks a great talent,but the end of season pitches don't seem to suit his game.
I feared we may have conceded more,but it's not over yet
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 23:52   #63

Watched the game on TV and they should have had a penalty for hand ball before they scored. We were poor most of the game but I doubt the team would have done much better if we had started different. They were no great shakes either so we can still do it.
AccyMad and football19 like this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 01:04   #64
Senior Member+

Wimbledon went more direct with the introduction of Akinfenwa and eventually it worked for them.

I thought Buxton was our best player in the first half, Connelly in the second half.

Billy Kee was poor IMO and has been poor for a few weeks now, I would consider playing Gornell from the start on Wednesday.

The view from the away end standing was horrific, no wonder they want to move grounds.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 02:00   #65
God Member

Wimbledon deserved the win after their second half performance - direct, route one and effective.

Those slighting the selection of Sean can go whistle. His defending was more assured than Fosu's would ever have been, and you know it.

Come on Accy
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 02:02   #66
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I knew this would happen the minute the teams were announced. If we didn't win, there would only be one player to blame - plus of course John and Jimmy for nepotism. I've chosen this particular slagging off post to quote because it allows me to point out that it is equally Billy's job to score, Josh's job to score, and Piero's job to score - and none of them had a shot on target all night, and I'm not sure about last Saturday either. Tarique was on target, deflected on to the post as soon as he came on, but that was that for him too.

I don't think he's great and never did - but he's a damn sight better then half a dozen of you ever give him credit for. All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support
Sorry Chimer, but if he was a damn sight better than he displayed tonight then he would not have left Stanley a few years ago to join Stockport (who were and still are two levels below League Two) and then subsequently move on to Chester. At that time...suitors from a higher level where hardly hammering at Stanley's door to try and gain his signature !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
100% agree chimer, right or wrong,Sean can be poor but has the ability to score from nothing.
So would Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho pick a player on the same sentiment ???

Admittedly we play at a different level to the sides they manage (d) but surely they wouldn't justifying selecting somebody who performed as badly as McConville did tonight because once every blue moon the guy can "score from nothing" ????

To coin a phrase ( that the legendary Brian Clough was rumoured to use to describe one of his Derby players at the time) McConville was bone idle tonight and drifted around like a "Wandering Jew" (NO racial slur intended).

McConville was the worst player on the park in a Stanley shirt by a country mile. Coleman realised the fact and thankfully hauled him off.

McConville has consistently proved during his two spells at Stanley that he goes missing far too often in games.

No side wishing to have any modicum of success can carry passengers in games that matter. Tonight we carried one for an hour...... from the start of what was our biggest game of the season....... when we had better and more reliable options on the bench.
smudgie, Redraine and cashman like this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 02:20   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I wish you would "give up" constantly wet nursing McConville
It's not a case of wet nursing anybody - but most of the comments about Sean were made before we'd even kicked a ball tonight so weren't based on how he performed or didn't as the case may be but simply on assumptions because his name was on the team sheet to start, hardly fair in my opinion.
choirboy likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:11   #68
God Member

listened to it on 5 live extra who put the radio London commentary on so obvious biased towards Wimbledon but it did seem there was nothing in the game until they scored. as for sean mc people including me are not happy to see him in the side but I think all of us would loved to be proved wrong. unfortuatly it never happens. I personally would have played romy boco on the right and switched piero to the left if fosu was injured. also billy has been quiet since he got that head injury a few weeks ago. we need to score against Wimbledon at home and hope we don,t have another repeat of the Stevenage game the other week. lets go for it. rather have a 3 all draw and go out fighting than another 0-0. one goal in the last 3 games. this has to change quickly.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:14   #69
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
listened to it on 5 live extra who put the radio London commentary on so obvious biased towards Wimbledon but it did seem there was nothing in the game until they scored. as for sean mc people including me are not happy to see him in the side but I think all of us would loved to be proved wrong. unfortuatly it never happens. I personally would have played romy boco on the right and switched piero to the left if fosu was injured. also billy has been quiet since he got that head injury a few weeks ago. we need to score against Wimbledon at home and hope we don,t have another repeat of the Stevenage game the other week. lets go for it. rather have a 3 all draw and go out fighting than another 0-0. one goal in the last 3 games. this has to change quickly.

Billy has been misfiring for the last few games though that bump to the head didn't help last night. I'd put Terry Gornell on from the start on Wednesday. Ten minutes from the end like last Saturday is no good!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:32   #70
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=Chimer;1168672 All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support

See you on Wednesday. On Stanley On!![/QUOTE]
Come off it Chimer. How anyone with any sense can equate negative comments on this board regarding performances with the quality of their support is ludicrous. On Wednesday I will be giving as much vocal support to everyone in red stripes, as usual, Sean included if selected. People who are so sensitive to message board comments should try those of clubs like Rangers, Celtic or the Barcodes, or do you think that comments n individual players should be banned?
smudgie and cashman like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:42   #71
Senior Member+

Would have to agree, Billy looks miles off the pace up front and has since his big knock the other week.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:25   #72
Senior Member+

On a different thread, I was taken to task by several members for daring to say in a different thread that Billy Kee was not at his best. Interesting to see that others are starting to agree with me. Terry Gornell really must start on Wednesday - his speed and mobility were really lacking last night until he made a belated appearance. And talking of speed and mobility, I simply cannot believe that McConville was selected ahead of Shay McCartan if Fosu was carrying a knock.

I thought Scott Brown had a really good game last night, closely followed by Adam Buxton and Seamus Conneely. I would be tempted to leave Matty Pearson on the bench on Wednesday - his distribution has become a weak point. Bring back Brad Halliday as full back. And maybe bring on Matty as a sub to man-mark The Beast when the latter is brought on. Just my opinions.
smudgie, Redraine, cashman and 1 others like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:26   #73
Senior Member+

Totally agree Revived.

Thought Brown was excellent.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:29   #74

Thought Billy did a lot of good work in defending corners ,coming back for set pieces etc and then put his head on the line then took one for the lads as they say..If he could have lasted to the end .he might have just been able to do this same in Fergie time..I hope hes ok for Wednsday..

How is it ,these playoffs are all the same.every year.Theres a curse on third place.Brighton has it on em too.it seems ...The worse teams stealing the results...and those 7th in the league pinching the prize.....Reckons its a stress thing..Third you are licking your wounds..7th you cant believe your luck and arent that arsed ...Somehow we need to .De stress and all will be ok.
AccyMad likes this.
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:29   #75

Thanks, DaveinGermany,
Your link saved me when my Serb channel gave up in mid-game. Excellent quality when it works, though.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..