Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Can we make the playoffs
Yes 18 64.29%
No 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58   #121

Re: Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Maccawozzagod is quite right in his summary, we do whinge something awful at times, although in some cases I suppose this isn't realised when typing a post !...as to pet hates, the Forum is really not the place to hurl vitriol at anyone or anything just to make one feel a little better for having written it !.
On closer examination most of what I post is absolute rubbish and carries little opinion regarding Accrington Stanley, but that is what I have done for years now in spite of a few anti-Yonmon whinges now and again. But the Forum provides a sounding board for the inconsequential ramblings of this avid, though ancient Stanley fan who really misses the daily pertinent posts from Macca...and the witty and apposite asides from Tin Monkey, and others who used to inform and entertain us on the Forum.

This is purely my opinion...and, in my opinion, opinions can be expressed without there being a single whinge to be heard, or derogatory labels being attached to other users. But then I suppose the chances of this being the case, are little but a forlorn hope !..

KTF.
Quite right yonmon
Lord Love Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2017, 16:28   #122

Don't wish to start a creepy Crawley post too early, but can't wait for Monday's game, so tagging this onto 'Playoffs' for discussion.
Monday could be the big one if our dreams are to become reality.
Carlisle play Stevenage & both Exeter & Luton have tough away games.
This looks like our golden opportunity to jump within a few points of seventh spot, should other results work in our favour.
Carlisle are the team we could get closest to, so Satanage could actually do us a favour by winning at Brunton Park.
Of course, all this depends on us convincingly crushing Crawley.
Let's hope we get the biggest gate so far to help cheer our boys on to victory!
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 19:17   #123

It's the Newport match that scares me Lord Stiff. I think we will easily win on Monday.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 20:16   #124
I am Banned

Crawley did really well against Plymouth earlier in month
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:32   #125

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1192337]It's the Newport match that scares me Lord Stiff. I think we will easily win on Monday.[/QUOTE

0eabcb41b6d6f0d66c839e7d92ec87181310e50d.jpg YOU? The 13th Duke of W'mb'm, afraid of a footie game against a team of Welsh sixth form schoolgirls? With your reputation?
Has no one thought of the consequences?
chevyfire likes this.
Old 15-04-2017, 23:06   #126

Listen ere Lord Stiff.
Welsh people aren't the brightest, but when the chips are down (the death of the mining industry, chasing an egg around Cardiff Arms Park, or when Ryhdian was in the final of X factor) they don't half develop this insane self belief.
I think I'd rather face zulus at Rourkes Drifft than Newport next weekend.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:38   #127
God Member

I think I'd rather face zulus at Rourkes Drifft than Newport next weekend.[/QUOTE]

pitch at rourkes drift would be better though.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:04   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Listen ere Lord Stiff.
Welsh people aren't the brightest, but when the chips are down (the death of the mining industry, chasing an egg around Cardiff Arms Park, or when Ryhdian was in the final of X factor) they don't half develop this insane self belief.
Ah! The South Wales Border Regiment - a fine bunch of men indeed!
Eleven VC's before breakfast and all that.
But if Matty Pearson had been leading those pesky Zulus, I'm afraid they'd have been wiped out!
Old 16-04-2017, 10:29   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Listen ere Lord Stiff.
Yes it's true lord I can tell you first hand that the welsh are a nation of warriors and fight like trojans
Old 16-04-2017, 12:24   #130
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1192355] ....when the chips are down ... they don't half develop this insane self belief...[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket;1192376[I
]...the welsh are a nation of warriors and fight like trojans[/I]
Perhaps it will help that we'll be playing Newport County then. Their web site admits to only 8 Welsh players (most of them appear to be youths) in a squad of 34.
AccyMad likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 19:00   #131
Senior Member+

The Male Voice Choirs in Newport have been heard singing...

'rydym yn ofnus o Accrington Stanley '....Most definitely not the indefatigable spirit shown by Michael Caine and Co at Rorkes Drift... I reckon that Ivor Emmanuel and his lads as they belted out ' Men of Harlech ' were really the true inspiration behind the victory !.

Unfortunately my Lords such valour seems to be a commodity in short supply in the Principality these days and unlike the Ill-disciplined Zulus the Reds have little to flee from on the barren wastelands of Rodney Parade !.

nb.. In no way should my apparent disparaging of the Zulu race be seen as having any connection to those denigrating Soccer chants reported elsewhere on the Forum !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 21:23   #132

For all the scaredy pants shaking over the thought of battle with the fiery Welsh,
I submit my own version of 'Men of Harlech' to help stiffen their sinews.

Men of Stanley, on to glory!
Fresh from victory o'er Crawley
Welshmen all will hear our story
Stanley never yield!
Hear our drums a pounding
Down the valleys sounding
All will fall, to our football
Our rise has been astounding
Loyalty to our team sustains us
Can't you see the prize awaits us
Up the league momentum takes us
Stanley - above all.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 16-04-2017, 21:47   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
For all the scaredy pants shaking over the thought of battle with the fiery Welsh,
I submit my own version of 'Men of Harlech' to help stiffen their sinews.

Men of Stanley, on to glory!
Fresh from victory o'er Crawley
Welshmen all will hear our story
Stanley never yield!
Hear our drums a pounding
Down the valleys sounding
All will fall, to our football
Our rise has been astounding
Loyalty to our team sustains us
Can't you see the prize awaits us
Up the league momentum takes us
Stanley - above all.
Don't give up your day job
yonmon likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 21:55   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
The Male Voice Choirs in Newport have been heard singing...

'rydym yn ofnus o Accrington Stanley '....Most definitely not the indefatigable spirit shown by Michael Caine and Co at Rorkes Drift... I reckon that Ivor Emmanuel and his lads as they belted out ' Men of Harlech ' were really the true inspiration behind the victory !.

Unfortunately my Lords such valour seems to be a commodity in short supply in the Principality these days and unlike the Ill-disciplined Zulus the Reds have little to flee from on the barren wastelands of Rodney Parade !.

nb.. In no way should my apparent disparaging of the Zulu race be seen as having any connection to those denigrating Soccer chants reported elsewhere on the Forum !.
Yonmon I'm terribly sorry but I must pick you up on this, since when were the Zulu's indisciplined? They were quite the opposite, they were extremely well disciplined and organised
Old 16-04-2017, 22:54   #135
Senior Member+

I am, for once slightly lost for words LLR !....no I'm not !.

We're you really that naive to even consider my short piece of badinage was actually a short dissertation on the role played by the Zulu nation in the Anglo-Zulu War.

I should, I suppose, as some sort of climb-down, go on now at length to describe the Zulu's well-planned and organised success at the battle of Isandlwana to satisfy your pedantic longings, but our Moderator would look upon this with some measure of displeasure I'm sure !.

By now I would have thought that anyone with an analytical mind would have been able to spot the levity which I often try to inject into my rambling quotes and posts and thus not take them too seriously !...seems that I could be wrong !.

But KTF... we will get the points at Newport County !.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..