Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2021, 19:06   #1
God Member

Question Plymouth game........

Cannot believe that there is not a thread - even at 20:00

So, what have people who went to the game got to say??

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2021, 19:48   #2

Re: Plymouth game........

I've seen us worse.
Didnt take our chances.
Got the impression Plymouth comfortable.
Worried for rest of season.
No Hot Vimto on sale don't bode well for rest of
Season.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 19:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i looked when i got home was glad there was none to be honest.
Old 13-11-2021, 19:57   #4
God Member

Not a lot.
Stanley played poorly, and hardly ever ran into space behind the defenders. Too often insisted on intricate, short passing in tight situations were their skill level eventually let’s them down.
Plymouth bored me to death playing across the back three constantly, but they pressed Stanley everywhere, whereas Stanley stood off their central defenders until they strolled past the half way line.
For Plymouth, two crap goals gifted, one excellent strike and a simple header.
For Stanley, one good goal but little else in attack.
Same score, but thought Wigan were a much better outfit.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 20:07   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Not a lot.
Stanley played poorly, and hardly ever ran into space behind the defenders. Too often insisted on intricate, short passing in tight situations were their skill level eventually let’s them down.
Plymouth bored me to death playing across the back three constantly, but they pressed Stanley everywhere, whereas Stanley stood off their central defenders until they strolled past the half way line.
For Plymouth, two crap goals gifted, one excellent strike and a simple header.
For Stanley, one good goal but little else in attack.
Same score, but thought Wigan were a much better outfit.

I concur but just want to mention how hard work it was to get to the loo at half time - great to see a good gate but stressful on the bladder

Last edited by AccyMad; 13-11-2021 at 20:09.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 20:19   #6
Senior Member+

Firstly it was a wonderful Service of Remembrance before the match commenced, impeccably observed by all supporters in the ground. With another great flag produced by The Ultras over the Clayton End goalmouth.
Well Joe, I believe that the 1-4 score line was not a true reflection of the performances of either team. I honestly thought that Stanley were unlucky today to end up with that scoreline. I thought that at half time the score should have been level.
Plymouth’s first goal, an own goal, was unlucky as Hamilton was expecting more of a physical challenge and perhaps for a moment he took his eye off the ball and it hit either his head or shoulder! And where did it go? Looping over Toby and into the net somewhat flukishly. The second goal came after the referee wrongly awarded a throw in to Plymouth which looked like it should have been given to Stanley. Then in the progression into our penalty box there was a helpful, to Plymouth, slight deflection which was followed by a good narrow angled finish. As we kicked off for the second half I thought that if we could get the early goal that we could still get something out of the match. We got the goal after just five minutes which was a well constructed team effort and it was good to see young Tommy Leigh finishing the move.
Had we got the next goal I honestly believe th
at we could have gone on to win the match or at least hold them to a draw!
The referee seemed to make some dodgy decisions at this stage, booking Leigh for winning a header by being stronger than his opponent. "After this Leigh had to play with restraint which allowed their midfield more time on the ball. The other young lad Coyle had been superb and was a revelation for Stanley but with Leigh playing a more reserved game he got a bit overrun. Especially by the best player on the pitch…IMHO Plymouth’s number 7, Broom, who then showed his class with the goal of the match, a super solo curling twenty five yard shot! The fourth goal came after we tried our substitutions but we had lost our shape a bit and Plymouth were playing with much more confidence at this stage.
I think there were a number of positives to take out of today’s match; the performance of the two young starters, Leigh and Coyle. I also thought that Rogers return was very encouraging as he was pretty solid and good going forward too. It was encouraging to see a good home turn out of support of around 2,400.
We go again next Saturday at home to another big club in Sheffield Wednesday but I do believe that this is a match that we can win!
ON STANLEY ON!
KEEP THE FAITH!
AccyMad likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 13-11-2021 at 20:25.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 20:21   #7

In football there are the leaders and there are the also-rans.
For the first 20 minutes, I was at a loss to understand how Argyle are leading the race for promotion.
After 90 minutes the difference became crystal clear.
Leaders Plymouth didn't need to break sweat to claim the points against a Stanley side rapidly becoming the also-rans.
Argyle didn't dominate the game as Wigan did, but they still possessed enough speed & skill to overcome a Stanley team lacking all the qualities required to succeed.
Disorganised, lacking confidence & devoid of creativity, Stanley's performance was both predictable & pedestrian.
Apart from a brief spell at the start of the 2nd half when we managed to score, we showed all the attributes of a team in free-fall.
The remembrance service conducted prior to kick-off in front of what appeared to be almost a full house was a real credit to the club, ASSC, Royal British Legion & both sets of fans, whose silent observance was exemplary.
Such a shame the game was one not worthy of remembrance.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:11   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i thought coming towards goal we rarely closed a player down which certainly did not help overall we only were on top for about 10- 15 mins that says it all to me.
pifco and monkey hanger like this.
Old 14-11-2021, 08:22   #9
God Member

their 3rd goal was the real killer though. seems a long time since august when there was so much positivity around the place. looking seriously now from the bottom upwards and work needs doing in january. a few players out stanley look second best.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:50   #10
God Member

My worry is Coley keeps saying we are a good side can't agree we are good in very small patches far too often reverting to the long ball good sides are consistent, and a quick point on players missing we have a senior squad of 26 Sama and Charles never feature and Perritt on loan, Hardy, Sherring, Clarke hardly picked, that leaves 4 who didn't feature yesterday Morgan, Butcher, Bishop and Pritchard are the ones who would normally play surely these 4 don't make the difference between a side like yesterday and one that would win the game
pifco likes this.

Last edited by andyd; 14-11-2021 at 08:54.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:57   #11
God Member

To add to the last post one up front doesn't suit our play either that tempts the long punt to whoever has the unenviable role of the holding the line striker, a striker or two are there to score not in my opinion just to hold the line.
cashman likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 11:02   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
that leaves 4 who didn't feature yesterday Morgan, Butcher, Bishop and Pritchard are the ones who would normally play surely these 4 don't make the difference between a side like yesterday and one that would win the game
you can add charles to that list to make 5. thats nearly half a side missing and if pell had been out that would be arguably 4 out of our best players missing with a side only a shadow of the one that started the season.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 11:24   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
My worry is Coley keeps saying we are a good side can't agree we are good in very small patches far too often reverting to the long ball good sides are consistent, and a quick point on players missing we have a senior squad of 26 Sama and Charles never feature and Perritt on loan, Hardy, Sherring, Clarke hardly picked, that leaves 4 who didn't feature yesterday Morgan, Butcher, Bishop and Pritchard are the ones who would normally play surely these 4 don't make the difference between a side like yesterday and one that would win the game
Got say say Andy that Colby and Joe are massive misses for us!

MikeA and cashman like this.

Old 14-11-2021, 14:08   #14
God Member

Smile Re: Plymouth game........

Footy is such a strange game.................

I stood with my good friend Choirboy and at half time whilst we discussed the game, he remarked that other people in the ground, would no doubt have seen the game differently to us

Reading the previous posts from attendees, he was correct

Greavsie was spot on

choirboy likes this.

Old 14-11-2021, 21:18   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Footy is such a strange game.................

I stood with my good friend Choirboy and at half time whilst we discussed the game, he remarked that other people in the ground, would no doubt have seen the game differently to us

Reading the previous posts from attendees, he was correct

Greavsie was spot on

That is what makes the game of Football so interesting Joe. If it were not so then it would be just too predictable and become boring! Luck is a big factor in the game and at 2-1 down and during those goal mouth melees, had Stanley managed to convert just one of those chances the result could have been so different!
It is good for supporters to have different opinions in post match forums such as this. When done respectfully and courteously, as has been the case since Saturday, then forums like this work successfully.
KEEP THE FAITH
david1 and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..