Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2017, 20:17   #16
I am Banned

Re: Pne

3-2
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2017, 20:19   #17
God Member

2-3 Pearson
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 21:19   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

overall i thought Preston played the best of the 3 weve played? also thought we did, People should remember these bigger/better off clubs than us, certainly aren't playing a few trialists, they have bigger more settled squads, reckon moaning minnie J.C. should take that on board.
Old 19-07-2017, 22:00   #19
God Member

Really efficient display from the Championship squad, controlled the possession, and used the full width of the pitch, without doing anything flashy. Thought Stanley were a bit disjointed in the first half but was impressed with Ogle (has a terrific throw) and Sykes. Nolan looked like he had potential too. Two wingers struggled a bit though to get behind their defence. Their two goals seemed too easy, but were well taken.
Thought Preston's second half XI were even better, but so were Stanley's. Chapman made up for the goals (both low) with two terrific second half saves (both high shots).
Great header from Beccles to create the first goal for Stanley and it was worth the gate money to see 'Man Mountain' Matty Pearson storming through for the second.
Disappointing result for the manager, I'm sure, but, as Cashy said, they were up against what looked like a well-drilled outfit who knew each other's game and roles. Can't imagine there'll be many League 2 teams that could display such consistency over 90 minutes.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 22:34   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Can't imagine there'll be many League 2 teams that could display such consistency over 90 minutes.
Good summary and hit the nail on the head there, Exile. These last three matches have filled me with quiet confidence for the season to come!
Chrisr likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 22:34   #21

After our performance against Everton, I felt a little disappointed tonight.
Agree with Cashy that PNE played some slick impressive football & dominated the match.
Their overall ball possession must have reached about 75-80% & the scoreline could easily have been much greater had it not been for some fine saves from Chapman.
Must have been watching a different game, as I can't agree with Mr Coleman that 'we matched them & all our players played well in the first half'.
We became far more effective in the second with the addition of Pearson, Beckles, Clark & the 'trialist'.
For all their speed, Sousa & Mcleod flatter to deceive & invariably lost the ball when their opportunities arose. Perhaps they'll be more effective against league 2 opposition?
Despite their domination, we almost grabbed a last gasp equaliser in the dying seconds but overall PNE showed why they're in the Championship.
Thought tonight would see an improved attendance against our near neighbour but if anything, it felt like the lowest of the friendlies so far???
Sad!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 22:35   #22
Senior Member+

I thought that we edged Preston for the first 36 minutes tonight. They committed a lot of fouls during this period which was an indication of how well our boys were doing. Donacien continues to look like a really 'classy' player to me. Sykes was doing well at centre back and Hughes was using his experience effectively. Early on both our wingers were on the attack constantly and both were were working very hard when back tracking too. The first Preston goal was a soft one to give away and I thought that our keeper should have saved it. I was right behind it in the Clayton End and it came form the first real threat by Preston down their right wing, a cut back from the goal line towards the penalty spot, (my favourite move), but their lad didn't hit it all that cleanly, about five feet to Chapman's right. He got a hand to it but it dribbled in! Their second goal finished the match as a contest and was just down to bad marking. When Preston subbed nine players after about an hour they upped the pace and produced some really good quality football! Matty Pearson was outstanding for us in the second half and fully deserved his late goal.
I think that the experience of playing Huddrsfield, PNE and also the young Everton team was great for our boys and their were a number of times tonight when we matched the quality of passing that these higher league teams produce consistently. We need to replicate that consistency in our play and I do believe that our squad is getting very close to where we need it to be in order to make a challenge for a high League Two placing again this season.
IMHO we still need another Goal Keeper to be our No1. Of even more importance though is our need for a clinical striker up front who can give us 20+ goals next season. The sort of forward who can be anonymous for 88 minutes but score a couple of 'Tap Ins' to win a match!

I am certain that Coley and the backroom staff are working on this and will come up with the goods!
ON STANLEY ON

Last edited by choirboy; 19-07-2017 at 22:39.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 22:40   #23
Super Moderator

Thought 989 was quite a reasonable attendance, considering there only seemed to be a couple of hundred from Preston at the most.
cashman likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 22:42   #24
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Thought up to when Preston scored we had matched them well, young Sykes (5) and Ogle(3) had good games as did Nolan(8). second half changes by both sides opened the game up, could have equalised right at the death but overall a good run out.
Old 19-07-2017, 22:51   #25
mab
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Thought 989 was quite a reasonable attendance, considering there only seemed to be a couple of hundred from Preston at the most.
Better than I expected, if we had not been Drawn against North End in the cup there would have been over 2000 on imho.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 23:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't know how tonight's attendance compared against those for Huddersfield & Everton?
Simply going off what felt like a rather sparsely populated Clayton End at tonight's match.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 23:25   #27
mab
God Member

Attendance's 1663......1032.....989 respectfuly
Chrisr likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 23:43   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Attendance's 1663......1032.....989 respectfuly
To be fair, there were hundreds more Huddersfield fans there last week - perhaps up to 1,000? - so tonight's home attendance was probably higher.
Old 20-07-2017, 06:08   #29

Average attendance from all three friendlies is 1,200. That's about 70% of average league games? Seems mighty impressive to me.

Coleman on new signings; "hoping to get one over the line tomorrow".
cashman likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 07:25   #30
Senior Member+

Oops! 'Wolves loanee Jonny Edwards' in the fishy match report! The Tigers won't be too pleased...
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..