Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pompey.

Did we also not look more of a threat the last home match when Kee came on? I thought so anyway.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:57   #17
God Member

I am Sat in my room at hospital after a operation yesterday and this result has made my recovery that musweeter nobody gives us a pray against so called big sides.
Chrisr likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Did we also not look more of a threat the last home match when Kee came on? I thought so anyway.
Got to agree Cashy,showing a bit of form is Billy,another dilemma for Coley !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:02   #19
God Member

Mr.Gornell always gives his all and is a willing runner and was up against a good defence yesterday (it was for a reason that Pompey's MoM was one of their CBs), but he doesn't appear to be the classic goal poacher. Is he suffering from that ailment more often seen in cricket - the curse of captaincy? I trust the Voodoo Gods will prove me wrong.
I can understand Professor Coleman's reluctance to 'fix' something that wasn't broke but I would have liked to have seen Snr.Bruna given 15 minutes down the left wing to add a bit of pace in that area.
Redraine likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:29   #20
Senior Member+

Crooks was in that area a few times in the last 15 minutes and was one on one with their fullback,could have paid dividends as Proccy blocked up the middle
Old 06-09-2015, 13:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Good question Phil,as Wakefield has done nothing wrong and looks a great prospect.
Slightly different from Pearson and maybe has a bit more balance/composure,but it's Mattys "will to win"catches my eye.
I first thought they would both play giving us a big uncompromising back four,but Bucko has curtailed that with his rapid improvement in the defensive side of his game and really can't be dropped.
Although a attempted cruyff turn on the edge of our box with three men around him yesterday wasn't one of his best decisions !!!
You could even play Wakefield at CB with Joe,who's also a good prospect,
Simple for the lads,keep clean sheets and you'll keep your shirt,if you don't,there's good players waiting to step in.
I think Coley has a bit of a dilemma on his hands. If Wakefield has only signed till January, he's going to need game time or else he'll be off and we will have lost a good player. Pearson is clearly a brave and whole-hearted player, but that heart-in-mouth moment yesterday when he sliced the ball across our goal led me to wonder whether a slight lack of composure has been his Achilles heel in the past.

Bucko, on the other hand, sometimes goes too far the other way, as you mention. But his distribution from the back is very good for this level. It's been a long-standing personal bugbear that we so often lose possession with the hoof from the back, but this season we are definitely trying to play our way out, which is a big plus.

Re Kee, he looks well short of match fitness, but is always a presence against tiring defenders. I thought Proccy also looked sharp when he came on, which will be good competition for Crooksy.
Revived Red likes this.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 15:06   #22
Senior Member+

To be fair Phil all players have a mistake or two in them,but I think Pearson has been consistent whether left of right back and I wouldn't hesitate playing him the holding/defensive midfielder.
I am not convinced this position is Crooksys best,for me he's better when he has license to drift into spaces (like Windass).
I know he's an imposing lad but he's not one for the "rough stuff"and gets pushed off the ball too easily (good technically tho).
So many options available makes for good debate !!
Old 06-09-2015, 15:43   #23

Quote:
To be fair Phil all players have a mistake or two in them,but I think Pearson has been consistent whether left of right back and I wouldn't hesitate playing him the holding/defensive midfielder.
I am not convinced this position is Crooksys best,for me he's better when he has license to drift into spaces (like Windass).
I know he's an imposing lad but he's not one for the "rough stuff"and gets pushed off the ball too easily (good technically tho).
So many options available makes for good debate !!
It does indeed! Crooks does provide flair in the middle, like you say, whilst also some height at the back to defend set-pieces, so you can see Coley really valuing the variety of roles he brings to the team.

The way Coneelly is playing, the holding/defensive midfielder role is taken, which keeps Proccy out unless you pair them. Coley did this yesterday, but it made perfect sense as we needed to see out the game. Starting with those two would leave us a bit short of attacking flair, which is where we are struggling a bit as it is.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 18:06   #24
Resting in Peace

Great post match interview by Coley. He deserves a lot of credit for seemingly turning our defence round as compared with last season, which hasn't happened by accident. He sees that we need to sharpen up our finishing and just hope he will be bold enough to stand down any player who is performing even a little bit under expectations, regardless of status!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 18:11   #25
Senior Member+

When playing 4-2-3-1 ,the two holding players don't normally get ahead of the ball,but I presume Crooks gets encouraged to get forward/join in.
So technically it's more 4-1-4-1 when we are attacking.
I think when we don't have the ball Proccy/Pearson are the better options and are more disciplined.
Then again we are doing well defensively so he must be doing alright !!.
Who would be a manager,you need your head testing 😃😃😃
Old 06-09-2015, 18:28   #26
God Member

Quote:
Crooks was in that area a few times in the last 15 minutes and was one on one with their fullback,could have paid dividends as Proccy blocked up the middle
I think Crooksy was absolutely knackered when he went off, understandably as he covered some ground. He won that free kick just outside the box late on 'cause he fell over. Proccy was a good swop for him, given the pressure from Pompey. I'd have brought McConville off for Bruna. But the Professor's judgement proved correct. Just loved the pregnant pause on his post match interview when he had to think long and hard when asked if he was happy.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 18:48   #27
Full Member+

It was a great point. I was a little surprised that Bruna was left on the bench again. I think if he was given a bit more game time he would be a great addition to the squad, I have seen flashes of quality from him that would leave other players breathless.
Redraine and cashman like this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 19:00   #28
Senior Member+

I am on the fence with Bruna,technically excellent,but very suspect when we don't have it !!, John Miles ??.
Good impact sub for me,but that's just my opinion
Old 06-09-2015, 19:02   #29
Senior Member+

When we don't have the ball I meant!!
Old 06-09-2015, 21:54   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am on the fence with Bruna,technically excellent,but very suspect when we don't have it !!, John Miles ??.
Good impact sub for me,but that's just my opinion
John Miles ?..... Great singer not much of a football player sadly !......
Like yours truly he dididn't know his 4-4-2 from his 4-5-1 either F19, but is there really need to drag his name into a comparison with the dashing Señor Bruna ?, who, it is rumoured , is absolutemente inutil where warbling a sentimental ballad is concerned !...
But wait !...am I mistaken for once ?....Alfred.E. with his eye for detail thinks that there just might be more than one John Miles in this world , and he that hit the charts with 'Music' in
1976 might not be The Stanley's erstwhile flying striker who wasn't born until 1981 !!.
So, I have been labouring under a serious misconception for some time now or so it would appear,
Alfred.E.is sniggering in his corner, and I turn to my tumbler of Absolut V and T covered in embarrassment again.....and continue to follow you and the tactical gurus with interest and excitement !.TTFN......KTF !.

Last edited by yonmon; 06-09-2015 at 21:56. Reason: Slightly squiffy !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..