Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2015, 07:00   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Pompey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I am on the fence with Bruna,technically excellent,but very suspect when we don't have it !!, John Miles ??.
Good impact sub for me,but that's just my opinion
Fair enough, but even impact subs need a decent amount of minutes on the pitch in order to be effective. Too often our subs only get about 10 minutes even when games are being changed by the opposition's imaginative substitutions.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2015, 08:29   #32
Senior Member+

Fwiw, I agree Kee made a difference to our threat level when he came on, but then their defenders would have been tiring by then, so perhaps it would have been just the same if Gornell had replaced Kee at the same point. Certainly their defence had Gornell, Mingoia and McConville shackled throughout and we only looked really dangerous when Windass and to a lesser extent Crooks were attacking from deep.

Equally our defence looked competent and confident pretty well throughout, only a couple of moments of panic and a couple of over-confidence had me worried. I don't know them well enough to pick out the best (first game I've seen this season), it was just a very good all round team effort for 90 minutes against a Pompey attack which looked promising but never really delivered.

For me, the highlight was Mooney's incredible save down to his left bottom corner towards the end of the second half - a genuine point saver. And the greatest surprise was that there were still 22 players on the park at the final whistle .

All in all, I think that was the best Stanley display I've seen over the 20 or so games I've managed to get to since Woking . Not as exciting as Watford, Newcastle or the win here last year, but the best football and in the face of a daunting crowd.

Twice I was asked by Pompey fans how long it took me to get down. "Walked it in 20 minutes" seemed to surprise them ....
MikeA, Redraine, cashman and 1 others like this.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45   #33
God Member

Good interview on the Fishy site with Mr.Davies. If he's not already on a two year deal, Stanley should offer another year's contract now as there'll be loads of clubs sniffing around at the end of this season.
baldy and cashman like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Good interview on the Fishy site with Mr.Davies. If he's not already on a two year deal, Stanley should offer another year's contract now as there'll be loads of clubs sniffing around at the end of this season.
Agree hes been immense all season so far imho.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:43   #35
Senior Member+

Great prospect,plays with no fear,will play at an higher level,no doubts at all
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:44   #36
Senior Member+

Not many but a few highlights from the game!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:26   #37
God Member

Better than the rubbish on Sky's web site, Baldy, which showed one second half Pompey attack, followed by one from the first half.
From the away end we could see how close it was to the goalpost, but didn't appreciate how far out was Gornell's header. Great cross and great header.
Also Pompey keeper made a great save to deny McConville in the second half which, I guess, didn't rate a "highlight" for the Pompey faithful.
Old 07-09-2015, 13:51   #38
Resting in Peace

Honest view from Cooky:-

Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:06   #39
Senior Member+

Was that a swipe at our "game plan" at the end as he turned round to see who was around before he said it?

Also noticed he still has his 4 different voices that change during his interviews!!
Old 07-09-2015, 14:26   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Once a snake.
yonmon likes this.
Old 07-09-2015, 15:53   #41
God Member

Never heard an snake sound so hoarse.
He's history to Stanley, Brizzle Rovers next up.
Revived Red and yonmon like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 17:46   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Fwiw, I agree Kee made a difference to our threat level when he came on, but then their defenders would have been tiring by then, so perhaps it would have been just the same if Gornell had replaced Kee at the same point. Certainly their defence had Gornell, Mingoia and McConville shackled throughout and we only looked really dangerous when Windass and to a lesser extent Crooks were attacking from deep.

Equally our defence looked competent and confident pretty well throughout, only a couple of moments of panic and a couple of over-confidence had me worried. I don't know them well enough to pick out the best (first game I've seen this season), it was just a very good all round team effort for 90 minutes against a Pompey attack which looked promising but never really delivered.

For me, the highlight was Mooney's incredible save down to his left bottom corner towards the end of the second half - a genuine point saver. And the greatest surprise was that there were still 22 players on the park at the final whistle .

All in all, I think that was the best Stanley display I've seen over the 20 or so games I've managed to get to since Woking . Not as exciting as Watford, Newcastle or the win here last year, but the best football and in the face of a daunting crowd.

Twice I was asked by Pompey fans how long it took me to get down. "Walked it in 20 minutes" seemed to surprise them ....
Good picture of you Chimer and your 2 lady friends packing up at the end of the game on Kipax,s gallery.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:30   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Good picture of you Chimer and your 2 lady friends packing up at the end of the game on Kipax,s gallery.
Some great photos. I especially like the ones of Mr.McConville's entanglement with their right back. I've never seen so much bottom on display since John Spencer took on Eddie Reardon.
Old 08-09-2015, 22:51   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Thanks Andy, I wouldn't have seen that without your tip
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16   #45
God Member

Your welcome believe you can buy copy,s if you so wish, just to satisfy your curiosity My wife and I had the pleasure of your company following a home game quite a few years back in the nearby Chinese restaurant can,t remember which game maybe you can elaborate hopefully see you again sometime.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..