Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2015, 16:14   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pompey.

A great point against a partisan 15000 plus crowd, well done red men.
Old 05-09-2015, 16:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pompey.

What are Pompey doing in this division?,on platform with thousands of them and hardly anyone moaning!!
Very good defensively,need to work on holding the ball up more,but very pleasing point 😀
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:29   #3

Full-blooded contest, Stanley lads all put in a proper shift today and were well deserving of the point. Sean Mc nearly won it, drew a sharp save from their keeper. Good to see Proccy back as well.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 17:00   #4
Full Member+

This proves the point I have been hammering away on another thread. We can compete at a higher level. If we can raise our game for the big teams then why are allowing teams poorer than us to drag us down? Cashman is right it was a well earned point. I have not seen a team at home that were any better than us, including Hull. But I have noticed it does not take long for opposition teams to suss out our tactics. We have a few positives going forward in the fact that our defence is better, our midfield need to communicate better, why our strikers have to come back into our own half to win a ball is a classic example of a weakness we need to address quickly. Teams should be wary of coming to Stanley. we are better than we are showing at present. We need to be able to to switch playing tactics in a game to give us the edge. I am aware we have no right to expect to win every game but, we should not be worried about any other team in this division.

Last edited by Chrisr; 05-09-2015 at 17:04.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 18:15   #5
Senior Member+

Defensively we were very solid today and refused to be dragged out of position,but the unsung hero for me was Coonelly,he filled in so many gaps left by others I lost count.
He made them go sideways and back numerous times because of his reading of the game.
Biggest compliment I can give him is we don't miss joycy as much as I feared.
baldy likes this.
Old 05-09-2015, 19:48   #6
God Member

Cracking game today with two well matched teams, almost like a cup tie at times. Also great to be at Fratton Park with 15,000 passionate fans. First time I've been able to see Stanley in the flesh and agree with F19 that our defence seems really solid. All back four were excellent and I was very impressed with both Davies and Pearson. Haven't seen the possession stats but, whilst I'm sure they show Pompey had most of it, I doubt they will show how much of that possession was spent passing back to their keeper because Stanley closed down so well. Thought Pierro did really well today given that he had two and very often three defenders on him as soon as he got the ball. But goals remain the missing ingredient and, other than a bit more luck or a billionaire investor, I'm not sure that there is an easy answer to that problem. It's a problem most clubs have. Bit disappointed in Mr.McConville; he doesn't seem to have matured that much and was really lucky not to get sent off for wrestling. Luckily the ref was so poor he didn't know whether to watch the second round of wrestling or follow the ball; fortunately he decided on the latter.
Great point, well done to the squad and manager.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 20:12   #7
God Member

Talking of stats and goals (well, I was), the stat of the day must be Barnet's 3-2 loss to Carlisle, this despite having 28 shots at goal! (That's six more than England had today).
So what price a bit of luck in front of goal?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 20:49   #8
Senior Member+

Got to admit Exile,I am a Pearson fan,got massive heart,plenty bottle and can play a bit to.
Bucko was up against a good lad as well and his defending is getting better (we all know he can play!!)
Davies is key tho,what a find he's been,a Aldred type player but faster!,big future ahead for him IMHO
baldy, Redash and Chrisr like this.
Old 06-09-2015, 00:18   #9
Senior Member+

Well done Stanley, a great away point today.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:37   #10
Resting in Peace

"If we can't beat Accrington and Morecambe at home":-

Portsmouth Message Board |

At least they give us credit, which is more than most of the big boys usually do.
cashman and Chrisr like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

overall quite positive comments from the pompey board, fair play to em.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Got to admit Exile,I am a Pearson fan,got massive heart,plenty bottle and can play a bit to.
Bucko was up against a good lad as well and his defending is getting better (we all know he can play!!)
Davies is key tho,what a find he's been,a Aldred type player but faster!,big future ahead for him IMHO
Hi F19

Given how excited you were that we had signed Wakefield, do you think Matty is keeping him out of the side deservedly?
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38   #13
Senior Member+

Good question Phil,as Wakefield has done nothing wrong and looks a great prospect.
Slightly different from Pearson and maybe has a bit more balance/composure,but it's Mattys "will to win"catches my eye.
I first thought they would both play giving us a big uncompromising back four,but Bucko has curtailed that with his rapid improvement in the defensive side of his game and really can't be dropped.
Although a attempted cruyff turn on the edge of our box with three men around him yesterday wasn't one of his best decisions !!!
You could even play Wakefield at CB with Joe,who's also a good prospect,
Simple for the lads,keep clean sheets and you'll keep your shirt,if you don't,there's good players waiting to step in.
cashman likes this.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:24   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

My thought is, keep defending well @ the goals will come,no doubt at all,slong as we aint shutting up shop, which i aint seen so far.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35   #15
Senior Member+

My only concern is looked more of a threat when Kee came on.
The pressure will build on Terry as he's not only our centre forward,but captain/leader so you can't really drop him.
His record suggests his goals come in clusters,so I hope he breaks his duck soon and doesn't let it get to him.
Hardest position on the field is a lone striker!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..