Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2016, 16:03   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Pompey match thread

Everyone's frustrated that the game was off but at least the club did something to feed the travelling fans:
Accrington Stanley put on free buffet for fans that made wasted trip to Saturday's postponed game against Portsmouth | Daily Mail Online
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2016, 17:57   #92
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Everyone's frustrated that the game was off but at least the club did something to feed the travelling fans:
Accrington Stanley put on free buffet for fans that made wasted trip to Saturday's postponed game against Portsmouth | Daily Mail Online

If it was at Warwick services a few might have benefited. Non-story really.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 19:14   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
If it was at Warwick services a few might have benefited. Non-story really.
So it's only Portsmouth fans that travel to the games? Aye right . Another forty quid nigh on for half a dozen pints in Accy!! And I didn't even get up to the Crown as I was having a few pints in the town and that after waiting over an hour in preston because of train problems.

And getting home was a problem because of snow in Cumbria and D&G. That and making it past the pub when I got back on home territory .

I met a few Portsmouth fans in the town who had came up the night before and some who did likewise in Preston around 11ish. Those in the town did go to the Crown and one even said he was allowed into the ground and got a programme so no it isn't a non story it's part of following a league 2 club with very little money.

And I didn't even get a programme after all that !! But it won't stop me coming back down again.

It's winter and it's league 2. So far I've travelled nearly 700 miles to try to watch accy games that have been off and that's only 3 games to Preston, Carlisle and Accy so I know more than most what it feels like.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 21:30   #94
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
So it's only Portsmouth fans that travel to the games? Aye right . Another forty quid nigh on for half a dozen pints in Accy!! And I didn't even get up to the Crown as I was having a few pints in the town and that after waiting over an hour in preston because of train problems.

And getting home was a problem because of snow in Cumbria and D&G. That and making it past the pub when I got back on home territory .

I met a few Portsmouth fans in the town who had came up the night before and some who did likewise in Preston around 11ish. Those in the town did go to the Crown and one even said he was allowed into the ground and got a programme so no it isn't a non story it's part of following a league 2 club with very little money.

And I didn't even get a programme after all that !! But it won't stop me coming back down again.

It's winter and it's league 2. So far I've travelled nearly 700 miles to try to watch accy games that have been off and that's only 3 games to Preston, Carlisle and Accy so I know more than most what it feels like.
Hardly my fault. I am on he side of travelling support, and I know a sausage roll doesn't make up for 500 miles wasted for the residual number who may have made it.

Supporting a League 2 club is a luxury, try Cheshire league.
Old 17-01-2016, 21:43   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Hardly my fault. I am on he side of travelling support, and I know a sausage roll doesn't make up for 500 miles wasted for the residual number who may have made it.

Supporting a League 2 club is a luxury, try Cheshire league.
Nobody is blaming you because it isn't anybody's fault. Any football fan traveling to games in this weather is taking a chance and the further you travel more of a chance you are taking. I knew that but took the chance and I am not going to whine about it.

What would your solution be? Call the game off the night before then whine because the pitch was playable come kick off?

If you don't want to risk wasting 500 miles don't go and if you do don't whine about it when the game is off. The weather forecast is hardly a secret and the fact that we have had so many other games called off should have been a clue that there was a risk.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 18-01-2016, 10:40   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
It was £62 for me but no pints - I diverted to Ewood Park in the hope of watching some football. I use the word "football" loosely as far as Blackburn Rovers are concerned. They had 11 players wearing blue & white shirts but they experienced considerable difficulty in passing to a player wearing the same coloured shirt. Proccy and some mates were sitting near me - they didn't reappear for the 2nd half!

Quote:
And getting home was a problem because of snow in Cumbria and D&G.
And that had a knock-on effect for trains heading south.

Quote:
I met a few Portsmouth fans in the town who had came up the night before and some who did likewise in Preston around 11ish.
I also met a few at Preston station around 12ish. They had also stayed overnight. Possibly the same ones. They were very philosophical about the postponement.

Quote:
It's winter and it's league 2. So far I've travelled nearly 700 miles to try to watch accy games that have been off.
My fruitless mileage so far is almost 1400.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:36   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
It was £62 for me but no pints - I diverted to Ewood Park in the hope of watching some football. I use the word "football" loosely as far as Blackburn Rovers are concerned. They had 11 players wearing blue & white shirts but they experienced considerable difficulty in passing to a player wearing the same coloured shirt. Proccy and some mates were sitting near me - they didn't reappear for the 2nd half!

And that had a knock-on effect for trains heading south.

I also met a few at Preston station around 12ish. They had also stayed overnight. Possibly the same ones. They were very philosophical about the postponement.

My fruitless mileage so far is almost 1400.
I made the mistake of going to Ewood once when our game was off and it was just the same except it was in the premiership and I won't make that mistake again.

I'm luckier than you in that I don't usually have to commit to any further than Carlisle until later in the day however that costs more overall but I wouldn't risk booking specific trains in this weather.

I think most fans are philosophical about it however the advent of social media has allowed some muppet a platform
Old 18-01-2016, 14:06   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think most fans are philosophical about it however the advent of social media has allowed some muppet a platform
Easy, tiger, all Chewbacca was saying was that the great majority of Pompey fans would only have got about halfway when the game was called off, so not that many would have benefited from the club's generosity at the Crown.

I had the same thought, but unlike Chewie thought it did make a good pro-Stanley story. Not sure why thinking differently makes him a muppet looking for a platform?

For the avoidance of doubt, I consider your own dedication to the cause (and supporting the railways ) is wholly admirable and I enjoy reading about your weekly exploits
Old 18-01-2016, 14:32   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I took it he was referring to the muppet who just got banned, not chewbacca?
Old 18-01-2016, 16:24   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Easy, tiger, all Chewbacca was saying was that the great majority of Pompey fans would only have got about halfway when the game was called off, so not that many would have benefited from the club's generosity at the Crown.

I had the same thought, but unlike Chewie thought it did make a good pro-Stanley story. Not sure why thinking differently makes him a muppet looking for a platform?

For the avoidance of doubt, I consider your own dedication to the cause (and supporting the railways ) is wholly admirable and I enjoy reading about your weekly exploits
Just to clarify, I wasn't meaning Chewie or anyone else on here with the exception of the now departed one. I was referring in part to some of the abuse directed at the club on twitter and just the fact that social media has allowed dafties in general to join together with their nonsense when previously they could be ignored.
Old 18-01-2016, 16:56   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't meaning Chewie or anyone else on here with the exception of the now departed one. I was referring in part to some of the abuse directed at the club on twitter and just the fact that social media has allowed dafties in general to join together with their nonsense when previously they could be ignored.
Ooops sorry, certainly cannot argue about that muppet being a muppet
Old 18-01-2016, 18:15   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Ooops sorry, certainly cannot argue about that muppet being a muppet
It's ok, I can see how you thought that having read it again. It's another of the dangers of social media that sometimes you know what you mean but others can read it differently.
Old 18-01-2016, 18:24   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's ok, I can see how you thought that having read it again. It's another of the dangers of social media that sometimes you know what you mean but others can read it differently.
It happens to me all the time !...but then.....
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 18:54   #104
Full Member+

Talking of wasted trips Casnewydd v Blackburn livening up on S4C
Old 07-03-2016, 04:36   #105
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Should be a goodn

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..