Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2017, 17:44   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Pompey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
It seems we have hit a brick wall again. Not quite time to panic but it is getting dangerously close. something has to give. Last week I had a great deal of hope but dashed again. What has gone so badly wrong at the club? we have played well and lost, It happens but we seem to have lost our killer instinct. we have the quality so why is it not happening for us? I can't fault the effort of the players but the belief seems to be missing. We couls and should have had at least a point today. on another day maybe stolen a win. but something is definitely not right.
You really think we played well today? I couldn't fault the effort, especially after the first minute sucker punch, but thought we lacked composure when it mattered. Pompey should have been out of sight, but they too played poorly and gave the ball away enough to keep us in it right up to time-added-on time.

If you can take "great hope" from a 2-0 home win against a team down in the basement with us, I don't see why you should despair after a 2-0 away loss to a team who are certainly going to be in the playoffs again.

Fwiw, my m-o-m is Donacien for his charges into their box towards the end of the first half - on the assumption it wasn't his job to be marking Clarke when he nodded in the opening goal.

And for those wanting a change, isn't playing two up front away from home the change everyone's been asking for?

Hey ho. Roll on Mansfield ...
AccyMad likes this.

Last edited by Chimer; 11-02-2017 at 17:45. Reason: spelling
Chimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2017, 19:53   #17
Junior Member+

ChrisR how much of todays game did you watch? How contradictory of you to suggest that they won't change. I seem to recall you asking for 4-4-2. We got that and it went well didn't it?
As for the game, goals change games and to concede 1 min in was a sucker punch. Pompey then had freedom to do as they wanted such as pressing high. Thought neither keeper really had too much to do and it was quite an even game after that although we didn't look like scoring.
Long way to go and lots of points to play for, I think having Scotty and Matty back on Tuesday will hopefully give us a kick.
Lets go and give our old friend Steve Evans a seeing to on Tuesday now
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:01   #18
God Member

Professor Coleman's summary was spot on.
The Ref was frightened of the crowd but Stanley didn't do themselves any favours.
They put themselves under pressure every time the keeper rolls the ball out to one of the back four. In every League match I've seen this year the opposition have twigged that (1) this what Stanley will do, and (2) Stanley are not, despite what we'd all like to believe, Barcelona in disguise.
Consequently they harry Stanley's defence from the penalty area knowing that, often as not, they'll get the ball back from a misplaced pass by the half-way line.
Pompey looked better organised. Their first goal was 'worked', not just made up. They seemed to know where their team mates were and, more importantly, were they were going to be. They anticipated better, used the full width of the park, put forward balls into space for team mates to run onto, and backed each other up to get out of corners. But they weren't brilliant.
Stanley continue to play a constricted, complex passing game often with little forward movement. A couple of times in the first half Husin played what looked like aimless balls down the wing to no-one, but the problem was he was obviously thinking someone would carry on running forward, into the space behind their defence. Too often Stanley appear static, passing balls and then standing still, watching as a team mate has to beat two men before anyone makes themselves available for a return pass. Or standing waiting for a ball to come or drop to them, only for the opposition to get to the ball first by moving to it.
In the second half the substitutions made a difference and Clarke especially made good use of the space down the right wing. For a 25 minute period Stanley were on top, and Pompey players and fans were increasingly nervous that the one goal would not be enough. This was Stanley's best period, but other than a goal-mouth scramble that was too far away to see, and an obvious trip on Billy Kee that was beyond the courage of the ref to give, they didn't really threaten the Pompey goal to the extent that Stanley's goal was under siege in the opening 15 minutes.
The only consolation was that it wasn't as bad as Cheltenham. But, with games against most of the top teams over the next couple of months, that final game of the season at Satanage is starting look even more ominous than it did back in August.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:25   #19
Senior Member+

I will continue to scratch my he'd in wonder why Clark isn't starting - either right or left. With Pearson and Brown back Tuesday there's going to be some miserable faces. He'd better get it right because Mansfield are on a high.
monkey hanger likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:38   #20
Full Member+

Chimer and Accy Stan, I listened to what was on the radio and text. I wonder have either of you bothered to listen to the Managers post match comments before hitting the keyboard. Chimer, I said after watching a strong Notts side we seemed to have got a few things right which was uplifting and hopeful. As for saying we played well today. I can't see anywhere I said such a thing. Even Coley said the players did not perform today.
Accy Stan your sarcasm about the 442 going well. It did last week and I don't recall you complaining then. If you want a fair analysis just read Exile's post, He pretty much sums it up. It seems any comment you two deem to be negative you wade in with both feet. It does not help anybody if you won't accept the facts as everybody sees it. Then you are doing the club a disservice.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:59   #21

We played a much larger club today. A team doing better than us. Plus, they played at home.

I wasn't there so can't comment on the performance but I doubt if I'd agonise over this match too much.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 21:00   #22
God Member

Erm, Chris - you said in your original post 'we played well and lost', think that could be what Chimer is referring to?
I too, not being able to get to Portsmouth, followed the live text & radio updates today but wouldn't ever make comments on how the lads have played unless I'd been there to see for myself as otherwise all I'd be going off would be other people's opinions.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 21:17   #23
Junior Member+

Quote:
Chimer and Accy Stan, I listened to what was on the radio and text. I wonder have either of you bothered to listen to the Managers post match comments before hitting the keyboard. Chimer, I said after watching a strong Notts side we seemed to have got a few things right which was uplifting and hopeful. As for saying we played well today. I can't see anywhere I said such a thing. Even Coley said the players did not perform today.
Accy Stan your sarcasm about the 442 going well. It did last week and I don't recall you complaining then. If you want a fair analysis just read Exile's post, He pretty much sums it up. It seems any comment you two deem to be negative you wade in with both feet. It does not help anybody if you won't accept the facts as everybody sees it. Then you are doing the club a disservice.
We played 5 at the back last week with wing backs.
AccyMad likes this.
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 21:22   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Erm, Chris - you said in your original post 'we played well and lost', think that could be what Chimer is referring to?
I too, not being able to get to Portsmouth, followed the live text & radio updates today but wouldn't ever make comments on how the lads have played unless I'd been there to see for myself as otherwise all I'd be going off would be other people's opinions.
Just so ....... (both sentences )
AccyMad likes this.
Old 11-02-2017, 22:26   #25

Quote:
It seems we have hit a brick wall again. Not quite time to panic but it is getting dangerously close. something has to give. Last week I had a great deal of hope but dashed again. What has gone so badly wrong at the club? we have played well and lost, It happens but we seem to have lost our killer instinct. we have the quality so why is it not happening for us? I can't fault the effort of the players but the belief seems to be missing. We couls and should have had at least a point today. on another day maybe stolen a win. but something is definitely not right.
Didn't think we really hit our straps today, Chris. We created very little, although if a Stanley toe could have poked the ball in during that goalmouth scramble then we might have nicked a point. But the fact we were still in it was as much down to their conservatism as our dynamism. Couldn't understand why they dropped off when they had us all over the place in the first 10 mins. But, for me, that didn't disguise the disjointedness of a lot of our play. We all want to see good young lads given a chance, but Harvey was a fish out of water at right-back and the other kids struggled to make an impact. Nour impressed me the most, he clearly has stacks of ability, just needs to use the ball a bit better. Thought Jordan looked sharp when he came on, I'm not sure we've got the best out of him yet.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15   #26
God Member

so some are finally realising we are in a relagation battle. forget all this about playing well and getting beat or we,re too good to go down. we,re where we are for a reason, mainly we don,t score enough goals end of. has this problem been sorted out. no is the big answer. is it lack of players upfront or tactics. about time we play with a higher tempo and get in opponents faces more. ask mr.westley for advice how to cheat and get away with it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:57   #27

I'm still in denial I'm pleased to report.

We are too good to go down and I'm still looking at the table above us, rather than the teams below.

I reserve all rights to change my mind in a few weeks time.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:26   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I'm still in denial I'm pleased to report.

We are too good to go down and I'm still looking at the table above us, rather than the teams below.

I reserve all rights to change my mind in a few weeks time.
My Lord your confidence pleases me, but unlike you I look at the bottom of the table with trepidation
Looking way ahead in matches to play, I hope we are secure by the Newport game with just Luton & Stevenage left to play I wouldn’t fancy our chances
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:14   #29
I am Banned

If we win both games in hand then we stand a really good chance of staying up, if we lose them then we might aswell get ready for conference
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:35   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
We played a much larger club today. A team doing better than us. Plus, they played at home.

I wasn't there so can't comment on the performance but I doubt if I'd agonise over this match too much.
Thanks for that Di, The sentence should have made it clearer that I meant we had played well in other games and lost. But we had a few attacking spells in the pompy game where we could have snatched an equaliser. We have seen our team play as good as any team in league two and as badly as a Sunday league club. My question is the consistency acceptable? I suspect not. What bit I saw on channel 5 was exactly what I have witnessed this season. Lack of killer instinct in front of goal. Pompy may be a big club in terms of support but at our best we are as good or better than them. We are at a point of do or die.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..