Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By andyd
  • 1 Post By Lord Stiffupperlip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2021, 07:40   #1
God Member

Price of football.

A different thread but one which might provoke a debate hopefully, just read a Portsmouth fan complaints about the price of a pie Saturday at Wycombe £9 yes £9 he was quite rightly IMHO disgusted and bought nothing. In response a Wycombe fan replies since the new American owners have come in they have backed Garth Ainsworth and the team on the pitch but prices on almost everything off it have sky rocketed leading to fans especially with families being driven away by cost. I have noticed myself ticket prices at some grounds have crept up for example £24 at Fleetwood yes Fleetwood in the main stand and yes their crowds are waning. The worst one if they charge it at your particular match Sheffield Wednesday £42, I know clubs suffered like anyone else during the pandemic but do you think the Accrington public would stand those kind of prices.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2021, 08:03   #2
God Member

Re: Price of football.

Sorry the Sheffield Wednesday quote is wrong for away fans 4 categories range £20-£26.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:22   #3
God Member

That’s a real shame for Wycombe fans. That used to be the nearest ground for us to watch Stanley and have been many times, and always found it friendly and good value. In fact I seem to recall getting free refreshments at one match.
Is there anyone outside of Islington who’d pay £9 for a pie at a footie match?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 08:36   #4
God Member

This Saturday at Stanley it is a catagory A match all - ticket event £25 a ticket thank goodness I buy a season ticket because I think that is a lot of money especially to stand up Wednesday have sold out will Stanley?
Old 15-11-2021, 09:17   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

no chance i think, but will be a damn good gate anyway.
Old 15-11-2021, 20:46   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Sorry the Sheffield Wednesday quote is wrong for away fans 4 categories range £20-£26.
Glad you've corrected that .... as a Sheffield lad was ready to give you pelters.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:11   #7
God Member

well wycombe fans voted with their feet last night. only 1400 of em turned up for the FA Cup replay with pools which on paper should have been an easy win. even if the heavens had opened from 6pm onwards stanley would have beaten that figure.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 14:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
well wycombe fans voted with their feet last night. only 1400 of em turned up for the FA Cup replay with pools which on paper should have been an easy win. even if the heavens had opened from 6pm onwards stanley would have beaten that figure.
The replay M.H. would have been the second game in less than two weeks, in which everyone had to pay, add to that, both sets of fans will have had to travel once.

Not the worst gate to be honest

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 09:42   #9
God Member

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1259542]The replay M.H. would have been the second game in less than two weeks, in which everyone had to pay, add to that, both sets of fans will have had to travel once.

a good reason for all cup games to be decided on the day without re plays. think it could get more fans in for the first game as they know there will be a result. mind you stockport fans would not agree with that. full house there last night where they had to pay twice in a couple of weeks. doubt stanley would have got anywhere near 3,000 for a televised cup replay. is it a case of certain clubs fans being more interested in the FA Cup than others.
Old 18-11-2021, 09:53   #10
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1259577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
The replay M.H. would have been the second game in less than two weeks, in which everyone had to pay, add to that, both sets of fans will have had to travel once.

a good reason for all cup games to be decided on the day without re plays. think it could get more fans in for the first game as they know there will be a result. mind you stockport fans would not agree with that. full house there last night where they had to pay twice in a couple of weeks. doubt stanley would have got anywhere near 3,000 for a televised cup replay. is it a case of certain clubs fans being more interested in the FA Cup than others.
Stockport County arguably a bit of a sleeping giant especially in " non" league remember going there with Stanley when we first got back in the league intimidating place and tremendous home support when in full song that big end behind the goals one of the loudest I have personally heard great advert for the game last night and have to say was a bit jealous we haven't got a Quigley type striker fully deserving of the man of the match, oh if only.
Old 18-11-2021, 14:06   #11

[QUOTE=andyd;1259579]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

Stockport County arguably a bit of a sleeping giant especially in " non" league remember going there with Stanley when we first got back in the league intimidating place and tremendous home support when in full song that big end behind the goals one of the loudest I have personally heard great advert for the game last night and have to say was a bit jealous we haven't got a Quigley type striker fully deserving of the man of the match, oh if only.
The game had all the ingredients needed for a memorable FA Cup tie.
The plucky underdog overcoming a bigger opponent after suffering two knockout blows within the first 5 minutes.
One of, if not the best, televised FA Cup games I've seen in years.
As I said in my earlier post on our own FA cup exit, league positions are irrelevant when momentum & lady luck are on your side.
Good luck to Stockport on their cup journey. On last night's performance I'm sure their efforts to regain league status will soon become reality.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 14:19   #12
Full Member+

Completely agree with you m'lord about the game and "lady luck" although I don't think that the Stockport fans would have agreed with you after the first 5 minutes.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 09:18   #13
God Member

I go there quite a lot during the season with my lad as its the only time i see him with him living in the midlands. There is always a great atmosphere there but like many clubs who have this they can turn very quickly. Always find a large number of their fans a little off putting as being a non drinker there does seem a big drinking culture within their fans and i feel somewhat out of it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..