Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2022, 10:18   #1
God Member

Question Question for Monkey Hanger

Only asking you M.H. as I know that you have a Refereeing knowledge/background

I do not understand how an opposition free-kick can be taken in our half, when the offence is offside?!?!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2022, 12:05   #2
God Member

Re: Question for Monkey Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Only asking you M.H. as I know that you have a Refereeing knowledge/background

I do not understand how an opposition free-kick can be taken in our half, when the offence is offside?!?!
Quite easy when you have an incompetent set of officials.
That alone should relegate the four yesterday to several leagues below the EFL.
cashman, yonmon and pifco like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:18   #3
Super Moderator

Joe and all;

The law changed this season.

I'll need to look up the exact wording.

Some thing similar happened at Wycombe and straight away I questioned the assessor.

Coley wanted the PA announcer to put a message out to say the officials got that one right
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:50   #4
God Member

Cheers Mark, I suspected something, that is why I asked

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:59   #5
God Member

Good luck sifting through all 228 pages of “laws” of football.
Rule 11 (4) on offsides does state that:
“If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it’s in the player’s own half of the field of play”.

But there doesn’t seem to be any explanation or example of how that latter case can actually occur.

Perhaps, in the instance yesterday, a Stanley player was a few yards into the opponent’s half and was judged to be offside. He didn’t receive or touch the ball, otherwise the free kick would have been in Cheltenham’s half. So, somehow, that Stanley player then ran five yards back into his own half and ‘fouled’ an opponent. In which case, isn’t that just a foul?

No wonder the refs are as they are trying to interpret such convoluted notions.
Old 03-04-2022, 15:13   #6
Full Member+

It was one of a load of changes introduced in 2016.

The IFK is taken from where the player touches it. Seen it happen a lot and it looks odd the first time, but is certainly isn't new.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 18:34   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
It was one of a load of changes introduced in 2016.

The IFK is taken from where the player touches it. Seen it happen a lot and it looks odd the first time, but is certainly isn't new.
Such a stupid rule change made by stupid people! Why overcomplicate an already complex rule?
Accepting that the referee was correct he was still very poor. I think he gave one free kick late on for a foul on Bishop on the half way line when the lad was fouled virtually every time he challenged for the ball. How he actually keeps his shirt on his back is amazing! I think Colby should have his “shirt” spray painted on to his upper half and then opponents would not be able to try to rip it off him!

Last edited by choirboy; 03-04-2022 at 18:37.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 20:28   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Such a stupid rule change made by stupid people! Why overcomplicate an already complex rule?
Accepting that the referee was correct he was still very poor. I think he gave one free kick late on for a foul on Bishop on the half way line when the lad was fouled virtually every time he challenged for the ball. How he actually keeps his shirt on his back is amazing! I think Colby should have his “shirt” spray painted on to his upper half and then opponents would not be able to try to rip it off him!
It is daft as you get no advantage from being offside if you come back to your own half, however that hasn't changed just where the free kick is taken from.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 20:38   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
?..I think Colby should have his “shirt” spray painted on to his upper half and then opponents would not be able to try to rip it off him!
I’ve thought for some time that teams are missing a trick in not wearing top shirts (maybe not shorts, it might get embarrassing) made of paper!
In Stanley’s case, it would catch offenders “red-handed” every time they grab a handful of Colby’s shirt.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..