Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2005, 20:32   #1
Full Member+

Racism at the IES

Let me start by agreeing with the majority of posters about last night's game. Yes, we were outplayed, we were poor and didn't deserve anything but at the end of the day we got a point, so well done to the lads for not giving up! However, I must say that I was left very disappointed and ashamed by one guy standing near me - a guy , I might add, who is noted for his very loud voice and usually amusing comments. Last night, however, in the second half, he took it upon himself to shout two or three particularly offensive racist comments towards Dean Howell, who was visibly upset and reacted angrily towards them. Let's not forget that this is a player who at one stage we might have been interested in signing and who, we hear, actually came over to have talks with the management. We glibly talk about kicking racism out of football, encouraging the wearing of anti-racism wristbands, and yet this is the reception we give to an opposing player, whose only crime is not to be the same colour as the majority of us.! I may be over-reacting, but, had I been Howell, I wouldn't be at all interested in joining a club where fans loudly refer to me as "Ch**ken G***ge and K**te Kin*e. Sorry if people don't agree with me here, but last night my delight at salvaging a point was definitely somewhat soured by this.

Last edited by Oldgobbin; 23-02-2005 at 20:34.
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2005, 20:37   #2
God Member

Re: Racism at the IES

xenophobes like these really annoy me because they are so two faced, if he had been the winning goal scorer they would have been patting him on the bloody back.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 20:47   #3
Full Member+

AND ........ for saying that I deplore racism at my football club, I get Karma points deducted! Great - I wonder what this guy used to shout to Lutel!
Old 23-02-2005, 21:03   #4
God Member

You have accused someone without naming them and you have sensationalised it when you could just complained to the club and named the person.
Old 23-02-2005, 21:22   #5
Senior Member+

I've no idea where you were stood, but I heard the same comments shouted at a Barnet player on Saturday. I was stood at the Whinney Hill side of the ground. I sort of recognised the bloke, but I have no idea what his name is.
Old 23-02-2005, 21:32   #6
God Member

This was left on my karma

Quote:
Oldgobbin had every right to make that post and bring it to the attention of others. Thought you were supposed to be against racism.
1) I am against racism .. the accusation that I am not is pathetic

2) I never said he didn't have the right to post it.. I believe he has the right to post it and anyhting else within forum guidlines

3) My point that you missed was that if he is so against it then why doesn't he complain to the club instead of sensationalising it in here.

4) Anyone and I mean ANYONE on this forum who feels man enough to confront me and accuse me of being a racist is free to do so on Monday night... My point was valid as the post tars us all with the racism brush and it does the club no favours having this headline. A complaint should be made to the club and the finger pointed to whoever is gulity

Suggesting I am a racist because I am against sensationalising it and more for an actual complaint to the club is absoloutly pathetic and insulting to the extreme, it shows a complete lack of understanding of the point I made
Old 23-02-2005, 22:13   #7
Full Member+

Okay folks, that's my lot! I don't know the guy's name, but far from "sensationalising" the incidents, I am merely stating that I was disappointed by them. I don't know who left you the message, Kipax, but I certainly wouldn't accuse you of being a racist. However, if, by merely pointing out that it went on, I am being sensationalist, then I'm better off out of here. I won't be posting again.
Old 23-02-2005, 22:23   #8
God Member

I have absoloutly 100% took the hump that someone would say what they have in regards to what I believe..I don't care who said it...

I however stand by what I have said to you.. I do think you have sensationalised the incident by starting this thread for not just us but every other conference fan to see and start telling everyone we are racists.. i really wish you had took other action... However i never said that you where wrong or that it makes you a bad person did I?
Old 23-02-2005, 22:31   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin
Okay folks, that's my lot! I don't know the guy's name, but far from "sensationalising" the incidents, I am merely stating that I was disappointed by them. I don't know who left you the message, Kipax, but I certainly wouldn't accuse you of being a racist. However, if, by merely pointing out that it went on, I am being sensationalist, then I'm better off out of here. I won't be posting again.
owwwwwwwwwww oldgobbln don't go off people have done this in the past.
Yes people have different views, but it is a good forum really.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 22:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I have absoloutly 100% took the hump that someone would say what they have in regards to what I believe..I don't care who said it...

I however stand by what I have said to you.. I do think you have sensationalised the incident by starting this thread for not just us but every other conference fan to see and start telling everyone we are racists.. i really wish you had took other action... However i never said that you where wrong or that it makes you a bad person did I?
On the contrary every other conference fan can see this post by OldGobbin and see from it that Stanley fans in general are not racists and deplore the racist comments of one amongst them.
Old 23-02-2005, 22:37   #11
God Member

Your talking about football fans who revel in finding somehting bad to say about another club... they will take the racism bit and ignore the rest...... thats the way it happens... You dont see many threads of congratulations regarding accy over the internet...its 90% bad... i just think this is more ammo for them...

I aint saying ignore it or bury our head in the sand.. in fact the opposite.. I am saying tell the club direct...
Old 23-02-2005, 22:39   #12
God Member

OK another karma dropped with this

Quote:
It doesn't sensationalise! It merely brings the matter to the attention of the other fans who may perhaps have heard similar and can voice there objections also.
Why do they need a messageboard and a headline to say soemhting? why not tell the club who can then do somehting?

I scratched my backside about ten minutes ago if someone wants to take my karma off for that as well ?
Old 23-02-2005, 22:43   #13

Can we agree to disagree on this?

I am still of the opinion that saying nothing openly often implies condoning an act whereas criticising it at least shows where the critic stands on the subject.

Would "telling the club direct" have actually produced any result? What could anyone do/have done? At least this way you and I, and everyone else, know that OldGobbin deplores racism.
Old 23-02-2005, 22:43   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
OK another karma dropped with this

Why do they need a messageboard and a headline to say soemhting? why not tell the club who can then do somehting?

I scratched my backside about ten minutes ago if someone wants to take my karma off for that as well ?
I am so glad you shared that with us.............lmao can I go and tell everyone hehehehe

Miracles do happen!!

Old 23-02-2005, 22:46   #15

Isn't karma fun? I lost a couple of points for actually agreeing with the person who deducted them! lmao.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..