Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 18:33   #1
Resting in Peace

Reason for poor gates?

No doubt just like most of Stanley's regular supporters I am at a loss to understand the reasons for the decline in our attendance figures. Stanley play a high tempo, skilful brand of football which has even caused a poster on the Morecambe fans forum to admit we are the best visiting team they have seen this season, and to doubt that we can sustain our run for much longer as we are bound to run out of steam!
We'll see about that, but the product on offer at the Interlink beats into a cocked hat the turgid sort of rubbish served at the Chelsea v Liverpool game last week. Only a connoisseur of cheating, diving, sideways/ backwards passing and harrassment of referees could possibly prefer that brand of football to the 100% committed, free-flowing games we see in the Conference, as to their credit, most visiting teams come out to attack us and are not afraid to throw men forward. Of all the teams in the top 5 leagues, plus the 3 Scottish divisions, only Reading and Sheff Utd have more wins, and they have played 3 games more than us.
So this morning I thought I would do a bit of research. Most days on my bike ride to work I pass a former regular at the Interlink who has not been seen there for quite a while - one of the missing thousand or so, personified. I always shout "Get down there on Saturday, its good stuff!", but he never shows up. Today I got off my bike to have it out with him.
"How come you never get down these days, George?"
"Well Mick, I'm firstly a Burnley fan".
" I know, but Burnley were at Sheffield Utd on Saturday and you always used to come along when they were away"
"To be honest, the bloody drum gets on my nerves, and I'm not the only one".
I couldn't think of a reply to that and rode off. He does have a point though, and maybe it is a factor. I certainly don't think any of the waverers living within earshot of the ground will be tempted to come any closer to the source of their discomfort!
I know the Ultras will be outraged, but I am only telling it as I heard it from the horses mouth. What does everyone else think?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2005, 18:55   #2

Re: Reason for poor gates?

i think it is the drum. it is too much to bear.
Old 12-12-2005, 19:09   #3
Senior Member+

If they don't want to hear the drum can they not sit in the stands or stand on the other terrace?
Old 12-12-2005, 19:45   #4

But you can hear it all over!

Saying that, it doesn't put me off!

But...... I think that, although all these 're-arranged' games have paid off, in spades, regarding our league position, we have to remember that our supporters are not the 'Prawn sandwich' brigade, & cannot possibly afford to attend so many home games on the trot. Having paid for my season ticket, it doesn't matter to me, other than work commitments do not allow me more than one Saturday a month off, with the occasional 'sneak off early' day.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 19:57   #5
Junior Member+

I doubt the drum is the cause, and as Zayno14 remarked, theres plenty of areas within the ground if it's too offensive to the ears, however it is the excellent work of the Ultras and the drum that creates the right atmosphere to spur the team on and make the game a fantastic experience.
We all know some other reasons, Blackburn, Burnley, Christmas shopping, another may be one of complacancy " it's on the door step, perhaps I'll go next week ", but next week never comes, it's all too easy to find an excuse not to bother.
I live now on the edge of the Lakes, but rarely go in the mountains for the same reasons, but having been a life long supporter of Stanley ( first game was in 1956 ), my wife and I make the 130 mile round trip every home game, and the odd away one ( always to Morecambe, thats the nearest ), so come on you Accringtonians, if we can make it to all the home games, then surely you can make the short trip to the Interlink, it's a great afternoons entertainment for all the family, supporting a great team.
redgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 20:20   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:-If they don't want to hear the drum can they not sit in the stands or stand on the other terrace?

George always used to sit just in front of the press in the main stand, and still found it offensive.
Just think how annoying the drum is at Ewood echoing around the empty seats when you hear it on TV.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 20:28   #7

yeah the drum is loud but it aint that load i stand next to it and im not fussed it creates a bit of an atmosphere around the ground you dont expect to see keep quiet signs around the ground do you and as redraine says they have a drum at rovers and other clubs so they put up with it
Old 12-12-2005, 20:41   #8
Senior Member+

We had the drum for the big cup games though & still got 4500 against Bournemouth. Aldershot have 6!! yes 6! drums in their eastbank yet they have no problem getting 3000 when doing well

I can understand though and if you look on the terrace in the photos its always packed. The fans that ain't coming seem to be the older generation in the main stand & the traditional "shed moaners". (Sorry) Maybe we upsetting them?

Dunno?

We should all ask anyone we know who ain't comin anymore. Most people I know its about money. £12 is fine by me, but accy was always the budget option for football & now it ain't! Unfortunately, for 37 years we found ourselves in pub leagues & Burnley & Rovers took the core support. There is a finite limit to the amount of Stanley fans at the moment & without a cup run for 2 full years, then I am afraid the novelty of being in the conference has worn off. We need a few years (not 3 or 5 but 10 or 15) to build our core support. This was always a worry when we went full time.

I'm sure the people who get disturbed by most of the ground moving across their view in the main stand at kick off won't be impressed. So thats either the way we've set up the main stand or the fact we don't have a roof. I'd like to see away fans given all the Coppice End. It then means we don't change ends (which I hate anyway). It also means the folk that like to stand in the shed can move along the shed as they used to before segregation.

Then the roof over the Clayton End, a definate crowd getter as people will then be drawn to the atmosphere which will be electric. But we been saying that for years. But in winter anyone looking outside & remembering one of the bad days stood on our terrace will have them reaching for the remote control on the tv. We probably lost a lot by not getting that roof straight after the Bournemouth game. I mean we had the cash.

All in all, its up to us to keep spreading the word & get Accrington Stanley in the minds of everybody we speak to. Success, improved facilities, passionate fans, driven staff & directors all bode well for the future

On Stanley On!

Jase

PS remember www.stanleyultras.co.uk & the forum for all things Ultra; we have plans for Xmas & New Year games & need willing helpers & supporters.

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 20:42   #9
Member.

I was driving this afternoon listening to BBC Lancashire. PB was responding to comments made about the council not being fully behind the club. He made several calls for local support to be increased stating that Accrington Stanley deserved to have double the gate than it was currently getting. Nothing was said that I heard that related to financial support or ground development.

I regularly attend the Bloomfield Road Ground for non football meetings; those that have been to Bloomfield Road recently might agree that should there be a similar development in Accrington the club could only benefit beyond our wildest dreams. I think the key to the future now is in how the town responds to developing the ground. HBC and the Club need to be focusing on the ground now, you’ve got a talented team and a good manager, sort the ground out and the crowds will follow.

I would also suggest that a discounted gate for the winter months with plenty of hot drinks and grub available at reasonable prices will swill the numbers. Accrington Stanley is now a business, treat it like one and all of us will benefit.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 20:44   #10
God Member

Maybe a point that some people have left cause of thwe drum but i reckon the ultras have created more fans e.g. the young lads who stand just infront of the crash barrier who seem to really enjoy the atmosphere of the games. Watever anyone does though there will always be moaners!!! Lower the ticket price alot of season ticket holders will complain that they are getting ripped off! Cant Please everyone!
Old 12-12-2005, 20:55   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
Maybe a point that some people have left cause of thwe drum but i reckon the ultras have created more fans e.g. the young lads who stand just infront of the crash barrier who seem to really enjoy the atmosphere of the games. Watever anyone does though there will always be moaners!!! Lower the ticket price alot of season ticket holders will complain that they are getting ripped off! Cant Please everyone!
Still think Saturday that the Clayton End was busy & so was the Main Stand

Its that bus shelter down the side that seems to have lost its "fullness". Maybe I am wrong but that could be segregation & the fact that people used to wander from one end to the other & now can't

I think the atmosphere behind the goal is the key especially in the day & age of all seater stadia but maybe we should make sure the drumming at home is NOT non stop. We can only try.....

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 21:06   #12
Member.

Drums shouldn’t be an issue, this is only drawing attention away from the real issues and that’s the fact that the ground is poor and open to the elements. Parking, Food, Cover from the elements and a focus on the ground image. People have so much more choice open to them these days and will choose to stay warm, fed and dry on a Saturday afternoon, remember you’re seeking to increase local pride and build support from the local population. These people aren’t die hard fans, their soft and want more than pure entertainment that the game will provide alone. Some of the people on this site have become ardent fans only after catching the bug of being at a real intense match, its show time; build your fan base by building your business. The ultras have been a successful element in the teams and clubs success, as have the official supporters club. You now need to bring all the facets together.

Drums? I recall promising someone that I would come over for a match; I got to Accrington but got way laid. I was in Accrington Cemetery when I heard and uproar and the drums came alive. Proud are what. I had tears in my eyes and I regretted the fact I didn’t get there. What I’m saying is that the drums have a place, but you need to find out what’s missing not what you already have.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 22:42   #13
Give, give, give member

The drum is a very poor excuse. Like other people have said there are plenty of places in the rest of the ground where it's not as loud.

Personally I love the drum, and the rest of the Ultras adding to the atmosphere, even if it takes me 24 hours for me to stop humming the tune from Ring of Fire.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 22:52   #14

In my job I travel to peoples homes around the borough & on mentionng the Stanley receive comments as "yes, I was in my garden on Saturday & could hear the crowd." On telling them to get down & support what is their home town team often the reply is somewhat apathetic. We need to create more excitement, a buzz about the club, something Jase & the Ultras are trying out in town. Get John & the players out into the community visiting schools, taking part in sports lessons to show the club is a part of this community. OK odd ones as Rommy Bocco went to Hollins but more of this is needed & on a greater scale. Blaming the drum is a lame excuse, look at the continental clubs where they have almost a full orchestra of drums, trumpets etc. The whole reason the club is doing well is to quote JC "the noise, songs & atmosphere created by the fans that encourages the players & creates an imposing environment that travelling clubs find intimidating." Lets have less excuses & more encouragement. Talk to ex fans, mates etc. Tell them how the club is on the brink of realising its dream of a return to league football, how exiting the play is at this level & that you can't beat being there. Try & encourage just one person to take another look & come to the next home game. If only half stay as regulars & do the same we can pull the crowds in again. If a farming community as Hereford can pull in crowds of 3000 plus with their dingy facilities we can do better. COME ON, AFTER ALL - THIS IS THE SEASON!

Last edited by big al; 12-12-2005 at 22:55.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 23:01   #15
Give, give, give member

I've mentioned it before and have been shot down, but I still think for a lot of people it is the cost, and yes I know we are only charging within what is the admission guide lines. Mum, Dad, plus two children is a big chunk out of a lot of people in Hyndburns weekly income.

In fashion you have a sale. Why not early next season, whilst we are still in a strong promotion position, have one week free admission? Yeah we would loose the revenue for one week, but with the right publicity you could get guaranteed television coverage, and press besides the Observer. With the right promotion we'd have a capacity gate, and hopefully show alot of people who haven't been before, who have stopped coming for whatever reason, what a cracking afternoon we have at the Interlink, and get them hooked on becoming regulars.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..