Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2013, 11:37   #136
Senior Member+

Re: Rob heys

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
His statement says that he hasn't bet on the club for over three years so his position as MD has not been compromised in my eyes.
I think I am correct in saying that the position he held at that time was Chief Executive Officer.

As for the appeal, presumably it can only be about the nature/severity of the punishment. I agree with Exile on Spencer Street - the Board and Chairman must now act. It matters not if the suspension is 21 months or 21 days. A failure to act will be seen as condoning the offences. We just cannot go on in this way.

Yes indeed, there is a wider argument about the way that football promotes gambling. But we are talking here about Accrington Stanley.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2013, 11:37   #137

To say I am embarressed again would be an understatement. Lessons have not been learnt from previous betting scandals, How unproffesional of Mr. Lowe, how typical. It may be the time for a swill out.
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:54   #138
Super Moderator

The morality of the betting industry and even the harshness of Rob's punishment are separate arguments. How on earth can a football club carry on while retaining any shred of credibility with somewhat at the helm who has bet against his own club? He's the public face of the club for crying out loud. Just how pathetically tinpot do we want to appear to the world at large?
Old 19-08-2013, 11:58   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

His statement says that he hasn't bet on the club for over three years so his position as MD has not been compromised in my eyes.
Please explain How? The betting scandal at Stanley was 4/5 yrs ago, Yet he continued in a senior position to place bets. How is that fact not compromised?
Old 19-08-2013, 12:06   #140
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Please explain How? The betting scandal at Stanley was 4/5 yrs ago, Yet he continued in a senior position to place bets. How is that fact not compromised?
And furthermore presumably he was placing bets against Stanley at the very time of that previous betting scandal!!!
cashman likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:15   #141

It is all well and good making negative comments - but Rob Heys is ASFC through and through........had he not paid 30k of his own money only 4 weeks ago then the staff and players would not have been paid.......bear that in mind as a mark of the mans commitment to the ASFC cause before getting over critical.

These bets go back TEN years when ASFC were years away from League football........his last bet on ASFC was over 3 years ago .......

Put it into context please.
In the Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:28   #142
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Know View Post

These bets go back TEN years when ASFC were years away from League football........his last bet on ASFC was over 3 years ago .......

When he was in a position of power at Stanley, The betting scandal was before that, That aint negative, its putting things in context.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:33   #143
bdc

When you sit at the top of the tree you are expected to set the standards for everyone who sits beneath you. In this case, Rob has made a very poor judgement call by placing 735 bets over the period of time which is a long sustained period. His statement just reads like a list of excuses instead of an explanation for why he continued to breach rules over such a long period.

If he didn't know about the rules he should looked into it, the whole point of being in a senior position is that you have the brains to not take everything at face value and delve into things and question the reasons for things happening. How can his position not be untenable after this latest episode.

If he has put money in that is good but that doesn't mean that he should automatically stay in his job. If that was the case Ilyas would be in charge of the club after all the money he has put into the club. In reality that wouldn't work in the real world. What we need now is someone independent to be recruited to run the operations of the club with proper procedures and policies in place to help run a tighter ship to help build up relations with the fans and local businesses.

To leave the skeletons in the past, we need to move forward off the pitch and get things sorted fast. Our reputation has taken a hammering in the last 4 years, we need to start moving on from this.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:35   #144
Senior Member+

Quote:
It is all well and good making negative comments - but Rob Heys is ASFC through and through........had he not paid 30k of his own money only 4 weeks ago then the staff and players would not have been paid.......bear that in mind as a mark of the mans commitment to the ASFC cause before getting over critical.

The fact that you have just joined the forum is noted.

Which context would you like to put it in? The context of FA rules? The context of the previous betting scandal that shamed the club? The context of the "full enquiry" into that scandal that seemed never to take place? The context of a current or potential sponsor who is unlikely to take kindly to being linked with a club with our abysmal reputation?

Last edited by Revived Red; 19-08-2013 at 12:37.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:49   #145
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
The fact that you have just joined the forum is noted.

Which context would you like to put it in? The context of FA rules? The context of the previous betting scandal that shamed the club? The context of the "full enquiry" into that scandal that seemed never to take place? The context of a current or potential sponsor who is unlikely to take kindly to being linked with a club with our abysmal reputation?
Seems highly suspicious to me "In The Know" that yeh have just joined to comment on this subject, Don't it make yeh wonder.? oh dear gone already pmsl.
KiTChener, Revived Red and kristo1 like this.
Old 19-08-2013, 14:00   #146
God Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as MD of the club he didn't bet on us according to the statement, he was MD for approximately 12 months - what the hell has that got to do with the betting scandal.

the job that he did as MD (in my eyes) has not been compromised because as MD he didn't do it (bet on us for or against).

He broke the rules that he was aware were in place = deserved to be punished, I haven't disputed that. But I do think the punishment is way too harsh when you consider the precedents set by the FA for other crimes.

Betting against Stanley (as an official of the club) is a crime against the fans
Betting on cup competitions that Stanley have long since left is a ridiculous thing to be charged for.

£1000? now that they have taken away his right to work in pretty much the only thing he's done in years how do they expect to get that money. Offer them a £1 a week Rob
Redash likes this.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:36   #147

Quote:

FACTS... In the know... The above post is your first as you joined Aug 2013 and it states post no 1.... WHO ARE YOU ... Please provide proof that ROB HEYS paid the £30,000 of his own money 4 weeks ago . I suspect you have another name on here and your statement is a pack of lies . gO ON PROVE ME WRONG

Last edited by ianray; 19-08-2013 at 15:38.
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:51   #148
Senior Member+

Whatever the final outcome, nobody wins out of this.

Its essential the club use the incident as an opportunity for a change in direction off the pitch.
They either keep Rob and provide him some clear targets/goals and rules including some training OR they get rid quickly and advertise for an external candidate.

A lot of the off field failures may not be entirely Robs fault, if he doesn't know any better maybe people (including me) should be more balanced in analysing the missed opportunities and failures.
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:54   #149
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Whatever the final outcome, nobody wins out of this.
That one sentence sums things up perfectly.
Old 19-08-2013, 16:00   #150

I do remember him being interviewed on some local TV channel, I think it was Channel M, and on there he stated he had remortgaged his house in order to pay some debts during the bucket shaking days, everybody makes mistakes and he will rightly pay the price.

A £2000 loss over 10 years is hardly somebody with a gambling addiction, more like somebody who likes a flutter and can take a £200 a year hit
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..