Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2019, 19:45   #61
Full Member+

Re: Rochdale home thread

I couldn't agree more Chimer about winning several matches by the odd goal and there have been several matches that we could have won or drawn since the new year if we had been able to take our chances. The problem is that recently, probably due to lack of confidence, we don't seem to be able to take our chances many time we seem to be trying to walk the ball into the net.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2019, 21:07   #62
God Member

irrespective of what league we start next season in, we HAVE made significant progress recently.

We started last season as an average League 2 side at best. Yes, some thought we had a chance as we had our best side for a while. But that best side for a while was still only average at best. Then something happened. The feelgood factor at a club on the up drove us to the top of the League. Regardless of winning the league we were still the lowest payers in the league, playing in front of the smallest crowds, on the smallest ground. We had an owner that spoke of grand, but reasonable plans, to turn us into an efficient club.

Nearly 12 months on from that title win, we have broken our attendance record three times, broken our record transfer sale twice, broken our season ticket records, reached our furthest (joint) ever point in the FA Cup, built a new stand, an extra fan zone, another fan zone on the way, plans afoot for an entirely new main stand side (still same stand but concourse, changing rooms and bar/shop/offices), have a new office and shop block imminently opening. All this whilst still being almost the lowest payers in the EFL, playing in front of almost the lowest crowds, on still the smallest ground.

If we start in League 2 next year as an average side then we are still better off than the beginning of last season. Can we retain some of the newer fans? I like to think so. Remember back last season we still thought of ourselves as having a hardcore of 1000. At the moment we have over 1000 ST holders/loyalty cards. We have a price freeze (again) on STs, and we are playing in the same red shirt (again).

I couldn't give a toss for those fans who want to disappear back up their backsides if we go down. I couldnt give a toss for those fans who think we need to spend money on players. It's not the Stanley way and we'll carry on making incremental progress year on year, just like we have for the previous 50 years without you.

ta-da
Old 10-04-2019, 21:11   #63

and a new pitch Mr God
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 23:17   #64

Well said Macca.... we are a tiny club making progress against the odds. We have to expect challenges. Sometimes we will overcome sometimes we won’t.
I agree with others about the loss of Anderson, ikekwe and Ripley. We were much more solid with them.
The other main thing is that Zanzala, for all his many faults, doesn’t feature and instead we rely on the very predictable, underperforming Billy Kee. It’s no wonder we never score.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:34   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Well said Macca.... we are a tiny club making progress against the odds. We have to expect challenges. Sometimes we will overcome sometimes we won’t.
I agree with others about the loss of Anderson, ikekwe and Ripley. We were much more solid with them.
The other main thing is that Zanzala, for all his many faults, doesn’t feature and instead we rely on the very predictable, underperforming Billy Kee. It’s no wonder we never score.

Tempus fugit Lord D !.. and it's effects on players of our noble game, as we can all testify to, can cause serious defects to creep into one's game with devastating consequences!.
Dare I suggest that this factor, along with being consistently battered by an array of
violent defenders, is now being seen as the predictability and underperformance which you so rightly identify in Billy Lee's game !.
There are others in the current squad who find themselves slowly being wrapped in the arms of Old Father Time, and for them the consequences again indicate that some excellent careers are unfortunately nearing their end... sad but true !.
Let's hope though that they still have enough fuel left in their tanks to provide us with
the impetus necessary to guide us to the maintaining of our current League 1 status, the quality of which I for one have really enjoyed this season.
KTF..ON STANLEY !.. ON TO EVEN GREATER THINGS !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:38   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
irrespective of what league we start next season in, we HAVE made significant progress recently.

We started last season as an average League 2 side at best. Yes, some thought we had a chance as we had our best side for a while. But that best side for a while was still only average at best. Then something happened. The feelgood factor at a club on the up drove us to the top of the League. Regardless of winning the league we were still the lowest payers in the league, playing in front of the smallest crowds, on the smallest ground. We had an owner that spoke of grand, but reasonable plans, to turn us into an efficient club.

Nearly 12 months on from that title win, we have broken our attendance record three times, broken our record transfer sale twice, broken our season ticket records, reached our furthest (joint) ever point in the FA Cup, built a new stand, an extra fan zone, another fan zone on the way, plans afoot for an entirely new main stand side (still same stand but concourse, changing rooms and bar/shop/offices), have a new office and shop block imminently opening. All this whilst still being almost the lowest payers in the EFL, playing in front of almost the lowest crowds, on still the smallest ground.

If we start in League 2 next year as an average side then we are still better off than the beginning of last season. Can we retain some of the newer fans? I like to think so. Remember back last season we still thought of ourselves as having a hardcore of 1000. At the moment we have over 1000 ST holders/loyalty cards. We have a price freeze (again) on STs, and we are playing in the same red shirt (again).

I couldn't give a toss for those fans who want to disappear back up their backsides if we go down. I couldnt give a toss for those fans who think we need to spend money on players. It's not the Stanley way and we'll carry on making incremental progress year on year, just like we have for the previous 50 years without you.

ta-da
Nail hit squarely on the head Mecca !..😎
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:26   #67

Having read many comments about Tuesdays game, I thought I’d have my say.
I actually thought our overall play on Tuesday was excellent, it ended up being one of the most one sided games I’ve seen at the wham all season in terms of general play.
However we didn’t manage to create clear cut goal scoring opportunities and thats our biggest downfall. Irrespective of how we play, you obviously need to score goals to win a game of football and on Tuesday we didn’t. That doesn’t mean Rochdale deserved the win as some have said. Anyone who watched that game can not have believed we didn’t deserve something.
As for the “lack of a plan b”. From memory we’ve now played 4 at the back, 3 at the back, 5 at the back, 2 up front, 1 up front, 3 up front, 2 holding midfielders, 4-3-3. You get my drift. I’d argue the fact we have played so many different formations/starting line ups has actually hurt us. We need a settled team similar to last season.
Anyway, onto Saturday and its a huge game. Must win in my eyes and I believe if we play how we did on Tuesday our luck will turn eventually.
Oh and hopefully the officials spot blatant handballs 3 yards in front of them!!!
AccyMad likes this.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:36   #68
Full Member+

Can't agree ASFC that Rochdale didn't deserve to win, they got a chance and took it and scored and at the end of the day scoring more than your opponents is what it is all about.
monkey hanger likes this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:51   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

So why did Rochdale "NOT" deserve to win? utter rubbish they scored and we couldn't score in a Brothel. ok we had the bulk of few efforts but NOTHING.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:18   #70
God Member

[QUOTE=maccawozzagod;1226911]

with relagation we might keep a few but not all of the newer fans and i imagine some will not bother to renew their season tickets. do not expect andy holt to bankroll the playing budget but even with the best ground and facilities in the league fans want to watch a winning team playing attractive football. something needs to change in this respect as there will be hundreds looking for a new club after the season ends and we need to be a bit more competitive in our ability to recruit.
pifco and accytom18 like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36   #71

I think you’ll find if you actually read my post I say quite clearly that yes rochdale scored and we didn’t so they get the win.
However you can’t be silly enough to have watched that game and thought rochdale deserved to actually win it surely?
We dominated the game, had them penned back for large periods. Yes we didn’t score which again I say in my original post is vital to winning the game. But I actually think we played quite well in general.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So why did Rochdale "NOT" deserve to win? utter rubbish they scored and we couldn't score in a Brothel. ok we had the bulk of few efforts but NOTHING.
Did you actually watch the same game as me? You genuinely believe Rochdale deserved to win that match?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

with relagation we might keep a few but not all of the newer fans and i imagine some will not bother to renew their season tickets. do not expect andy holt to bankroll the playing budget but even with the best ground and facilities in the league fans want to watch a winning team playing attractive football. something needs to change in this respect as there will be hundreds looking for a new club after the season ends and we need to be a bit more competitive in our ability to recruit.

I think last season we had around 700 season ticket sale
.. 900 ish counting loyalty cards, if we begin next season in league 2 with more then weve progressed. Truth is, this town is difficult to sell Stanley to, 2000 home fans in league 1 is poor. It will grow if Andy can keep up the off pitch momentum. We're in year 2 of a five year push for fans, and League 1 was a bonus that would have been hoped for, but not expected.

League 2 would be a reset, nothing more, nothing less - but if we can stay up then its another bonus as big as winning the title last year.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:48   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1019 View Post
Did you actually watch the same game as me? You genuinely believe Rochdale deserved to win that match?
Yeh but i tell the truth, if yeh cant score yeh dont deserve to win simple as
accytom18 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:10   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Re Brothel, can we at least agree that our Foreplay is satisfactory !

It's opinion and i'm not precious about being wrong, but i think if you took the squad of last year and those players that say played 25 games or more and compared it against this years (who have played 25 games or more) i think last years squad does better in both league 1 and 2.

What i'm tying to say is that if we go down, we do so in poorer shape than when we came up. Hope that makes sense !
cashman likes this.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..