Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59   #1
Junior Member+

Rocky or Welch?

Over the last 3-4 games Coley has been swapping these 2 around as if he doesn't know who should play. So who do we think he should stick with?

Even though Rocky was improved yesterday, in my opinion it should be Welch because he has looked solid throughout whenever I've seen him play and he provides a continual arial threat-even scoring at Altrincham. I wasn't at Scarborough but from it the reports it sounded like he had a good game, so why was he subbed and why didn't he play yesterday?
Distracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2005, 09:05   #2

Re: Rocky or Welch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted
Over the last 3-4 games Coley has been swapping these 2 around as if he doesn't know who should play. So who do we think he should stick with?

Even though Rocky was improved yesterday, in my opinion it should be Welch because he has looked solid throughout whenever I've seen him play and he provides a continual arial threat-even scoring at Altrincham. I wasn't at Scarborough but from it the reports it sounded like he had a good game, so why was he subbed and why didn't he play yesterday?
Cue lots of posts from Rocky's "fans"!!!

Stanleybabe
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12   #3
God Member

Has to be welch rocky just isnt good enough! OK he had a decent game yesterday but he was not up against the most feared strike force in the league was he!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
Has to be welch rocky just isnt good enough! OK he had a decent game yesterday but he was not up against the most feared strike force in the league was he!
I agree give Welsh a decent run of games, Rocky does not look up to the job at the moment.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:09   #5
Senior Member+

of what i have seen this season of both rocky and welch. It has to be welch.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:32   #6
Senior Member+

I'd play them both

Rocky is the most committed player in our squad, he'd be in my line up every game
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 13:43   #7
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy16
Rocky is the most committed player in our squad
Absolutely! He commits the most mistakes!

And it is no substitute for talent.

He has a poor sense of positioning and an even worse concept of how to play as a defensive unit. Remember the repeated misunderstandings between him and JK and the same is now happening time and time again with Randolf.

The warning signs were on the wall in the first half when first Flynny and then Cooky gave him a bollocking from the TV stand because he'd left his Woking forward, went to challenge a high ball with Flynn's player, for which he was second-best and the ball was nodded on the player he was supposed to be marking in the 'D' - they should have scored then.

Bloody liability IMO

Last edited by Whalley Red; 04-09-2005 at 13:51.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 13:45   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Absolutely! He commits the most mistakes!

And it is no substitute for talent.
We all have our opinions, and thats mine, Ive always liked Rocky as most of you know on here....
Old 04-09-2005, 15:14   #9
Junior Member+

Smiffy16, is your opinion based on a sentimental point of view, or a profesional one, sadly there is no room for sentiment in business, and that includes soccer. The best player for the position has to be picked for the better of the team, not the best liked.
redgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 18:19   #10
Senior Member+

And I would pick Rocky for both reasons, I saw Rocky play more times than everyone bar KIPAX last season, and although we did have defensive problems Rocky got my vote for player of the year
Old 04-09-2005, 20:29   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

That was last season but we are talking about current form so it's time he took a rest for the sake of the team.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 20:35   #12
Senior Member+

Why change a winning team?
Old 04-09-2005, 20:47   #13

Sorry Smiffy but Rocky was responsible for the last three goals scored against us at home. Give the lad a rest, I don't doubt his commitment but no player can go on & play well season in & out. Rocky is having a bad patch & sure he knows his mistakes at Exter & Woking games. He needs some space to get his head together & recover his form.

Last edited by big al; 04-09-2005 at 20:48. Reason: Clarification
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 20:49   #14

Wow its all doom and gloom here init!

Have i missed something or did we win yesterday?

As Smiffy says, why change a winning side. The reason Rocky is playing in the side IMO is because he has a bit of pace about him. This is cover for Flynny who's more commanding but not the fastest. That may be the reason why a couple games back (Alty i think) Flynn was rested and Welch came in, Rocky kept his place.

One thing is for sure, have your polls and debates but it wont change Coley's team selection, and nor should it!
Eibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 20:57   #15

Of course we got the result but only just. Leaking late goals cost us dear last season so isn't the start of the season the right time to put this right rather than squandering points & being in the same position again. By the way check out Kipax's pic (6072 or thereabouts) of a Woking player going in on one of our lads off the ball with a menacing high foot. Should be shown to the FA for dangerous play!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..