Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2019, 08:39   #31
Full Member+

Re: Rotherham (A) Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1019 View Post
I must have watched a different game if Rotherham were on a different level to us. There was nothing in the game at all and as is often the case at this level, a set play ultimately decided the game.
I think Rotherham typify this league, no one is great but a lot of teams are just okay. The fact they sit in the top 6 alongside Blackpool, Coventry, Wycombe and Ipswich shows that this league just isn’t great this season.
We could have got something at the death and I actually thought second half we played quite well but without ever truly looking like scoring a goal.
2 massive league games coming up now, lets hope we find our scoring touch again.
Agree with majority of that but I’d say we had 4 golden chances where if any of those were on target they’d likely result in a goal.
We stretched them last 15 minutes drawing defenders wide etc.
Need better decision making and more composure
Crown Grounder and KiTChener like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2019, 09:08   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Agree with majority of that but I’d say we had 4 golden chances where if any of those were on target they’d likely result in a goal.
We stretched them last 15 minutes drawing defenders wide etc.
Need better decision making and more composure
Need 2 decent strikers in the window wether Andy Holt sanctions this or Coley persuading some decent strikers here is the wish we would all like.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 09:11   #33
Senior Member+

Unhappy Re: Rotherham (A) Match Thread

Quote:
I must have watched a different game if Rotherham were on a different level to us. There was nothing in the game at all and as is often the case at this level, a set play ultimately decided the game.
I think Rotherham typify this league, no one is great but a lot of teams are just okay. The fact they sit in the top 6 alongside Blackpool, Coventry, Wycombe and Ipswich shows that this league just isn’t great this season.
We could have got something at the death and I actually thought second half we played quite well but without ever truly looking like scoring a goal.
2 massive league games coming up now, lets hope we find our scoring touch again.
And I ask again, using the tactics employed yesterday , who is going to score ?.
Strikers and adventurous midfielders score goals and ,in my humble opinion, the Reds don't have anyone of this ilk in their ranks at this present time !.

Goals = win matches = potential promotion. No GOALS = lose matches = definite relegation !. These words from Sir Bobby Robson still keep coming back to haunt me !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 10:48   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Need 2 decent strikers in the window wether Andy Holt sanctions this or Coley persuading some decent strikers here is the wish we would all like.
what we wish for and what we get are two separate things. most pre season wished for us to have our own players and not loanees. we got our wish and we,ve seen where it turned out. for me we have an average division 2 side playing in division 1 and coley will need a lot of luck in january to get the side up for a battle that its going to be.
pifco likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 11:16   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
what we wish for and what we get are two separate things. most pre season wished for us to have our own players and not loanees. we got our wish and we,ve seen where it turned out. for me we have an average division 2 side playing in division 1 and coley will need a lot of luck in january to get the side up for a battle that its going to be.
Will need more than luck i think, 1 up front at home, cant see that winning us many games.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:35   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Wasn’t going to go but had the fortune to have a corporate invite from a sponsor I occasionally help with year end accounts. Really impressed with the set up and stadium. Ou performance was as expected, very long ball and little thought in keeping possession.

I said at the start of the season the permanent signings were poor and panic buys. Bolton will be interesting, a club that has found a purpose on the pitch, whilst we are just sitting on long term contracts with no culpability.
We may have been sat close together Simpson and not known it ....... I was there as a guest of Rotherham with a few friends.
Interesting observation to me was the back page of the programme and the size of the respective squads. Ours massive compared to theirs.
So it begs the questions
Quality over quality does it work ?
No.
Has our recruitment been good ?
No
Who is responsible for that ? Manager, coaches, scouts, owner ?
Has to be Coley.
What are the reasons ?
Budget, the club itself unable to attract ?

We're in a real battle.
Bolton I nervously predict will get out of their dilemma and watch for a big push in the January market subject to where they are.

Are there worse sides than us at the moment ? Yes ......... but if you can't score you can't win.
monkey hanger likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:45   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Clickers already said he won’t sign.
He didn’t want to stay this year but club activated option.
Should have sold him in Summer.
No point selling in Jan for low ££.
Might as well keep and lose on free.
He’s not a game changer in my view.
Maybe it isn't public knowledge but seeing as the topic has been opened up for discussion all EFL clubs were circulated by the Club in the transfer window that Clark was available for transfer. What in the old days was called placed on the transfer list.
A deal never materialised.
I suspect due to the fee.
I therefore can assume that anyone interested will wait until the end of season and get him for nothing.
Interesting point about playing him or dropping him.
Do you cut off your nose to spite your face drop him and play someone who is committed to the club long term ?
All I can say to that if you have ever met a player as dedicated to his game, and as dedicated to the club that holds his registration other than Clark .......... I cant think of one.
Thoughts ?
Old 17-11-2019, 12:48   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
We may have been sat close together Simpson and not known it ....... I was there as a guest of Rotherham with a few friends.
Interesting observation to me was the back page of the programme and the size of the respective squads. Ours massive compared to theirs.
So it begs the questions
No.
No
Has to be Coley.
What are the reasons ?

We're in a real battle.
Bolton I nervously predict will get out of their dilemma and watch for a big push in the January market subject to where they are.

Are there worse sides than us at the moment ? Yes ......... but if you can't score you can't win.
That should have said quantity over quality ..........
Old 17-11-2019, 13:05   #39
Full Member+

Quote:
Maybe it isn't public knowledge but seeing as the topic has been opened up for discussion all EFL clubs were circulated by the Club in the transfer window that Clark was available for transfer. What in the old days was called placed on the transfer list.
A deal never materialised.
I suspect due to the fee.
I therefore can assume that anyone interested will wait until the end of season and get him for nothing.
Interesting point about playing him or dropping him.
Do you cut off your nose to spite your face drop him and play someone who is committed to the club long term ?
All I can say to that if you have ever met a player as dedicated to his game, and as dedicated to the club that holds his registration other than Clark .......... I cant think of one.
Thoughts ?
I think it is a daft argument as for the majority of the club's existence most players have not been contracted past the end of the season, and the best players need to play or we go down.

We are punching above our weight and can't afford the new players some fans are going on about.

Contracts work both ways though, it is risky waiting for a free transfer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 14:06   #40
Senior Member+

Don’t understand your last point my friend.
Risky for the player ?
What choice has he got ?
Whilst under contract it is for the club to decide his future by either extending his contract or accepting an offer from another club.
Clearly any proposed terms offered were not enough.
If Clark does indeed become a free agent at the end of the season then there is no risk.
I’m sure there will be a few suitors.
Old 17-11-2019, 14:42   #41
Full Member+

can’t argue about Clarks commitment, he clearly loves playing football and despite probably wanting a move in the summer; I don’t think he is sitting around sulking.
Free transfer has pros and cons, possibly more wage if club not spent on transfer fee, HOWEVER teams are likely to play a player costing £500k than a freebie etc.

RE; squad size - keep in mind the number of those players that have squad numbers and aren’t part of first team.
My biggest concern over recruitment was signing Bursik knowing full well he’d be called up for international duty. Clearly he hasn’t done enough to warrant Dimi being dropped.
Baker-Richardson was the strong powerful striker we needed (Zanzala.2)
Diallo looks shrewd enough for league football. Both frustratingly injured.
Opoku and Alese seem like solid signings. I have no issues with Pritchard, Charles, Bishop or even Edwards in the squad.
Disappointed in LKS, ZFA and Simpson. Also Maguire and Barclay although thought both were okay yesterday.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 16:09   #42

Exactly your point Josh.
Bit ridiculous to go on about squad size given quite a lot of our u23s are included in that list. Whereas Rotherham don’t include theirs.
Now the argument around whether the u23 squad is beneficial is a whole other topic but don’t base the whole squad size on what was on the back of yesterdays programme.
Also seen as there are no longer ‘emergency loans’ clubs like ourselves have to include a bigger squad than we had 2/3 years ago.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 16:10   #43

To add to this. As Bolton look to be getting another -12 this week I really don’t see how they get out of their current situation.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 16:52   #44
God Member

Quote:
To add to this. As Bolton look to be getting another -12 this week I really don’t see how they get out of their current situation.
This is maybe how Bolton will get themselves out of their situation. Another win next Saturday and they be top of that form chart!
Attached Images
File Type: png 7818FA35-80BA-4E80-9E1D-EF5A954E0888.png (503.3 KB, 7 views)
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 19:30   #45
God Member

Quote:
So it begs the questions
No.
No
Has to be Coley.
What are the reasons ?

We're in a real battle.

Quantity rather than quality I agree doesn't in most cases work, recruitment has always been difficult at Stanley regardless of who the manager is budget lack of training facilities in the past regarded in a lot of quarters as tin pot that thankfully has been radically changed for the better, but I do feel this season the club have signed players who are struggling to be league 2 standard never mind league 1. How many you should honestly ask yourself,s is how many of our players not loans would get in any other league 1 side. As for the goals return after watching Stanley since the first game back in the day these players can't even work the keeper they constantly miss the target some serious work on the "training pitch" needed.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..