Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 12:28   #31
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Rovers Reduce Season Ticket Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Read Eric's thoughts on the subject on t'fishy site. "The rich are getting richer" - exactly!
Had to smile at part of the statement which read "We are very aware of where we have come from in recent years and we are determined not to lose the friendly face of football here at Accrington Stanley".

Eric please let your son Russell in on it because after last week it must be a secret from him.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2007, 13:28   #32
Senior Member+

It's ok people moaning about it, but it's definitely going to have some impact on us. The question is, how much?

So called floating supporters will of course frift off to watch Premiership football. I would do myself, as I enjoy watching the big stars and names. That's why I pay out for a Sky Sports subscription at home. It's ok calling it 'pansy football' and whatever, but most games do have a quality we don't see at the FES. I won't drift off because I'm a Stanley fan and therefore would always rather watch them than the alternatives on offer.

The thing we should now ask is, if those drifters do decide to go elsewhere, how much difference will it make to the crowd and the revenue in the short term?

We are struggling in the League and aren't playing very attractive football. Our 'home' gates have dropped off over the season, to about 1000-1200-ish in the home ends. I would think that the majority of those are now your core Stanley support and won't be won over by competitive prices elsewhere. Those supporters aren't drifters as the drifters have already gone (in the main).

So, in my opinion, it probably won't have that much of an affect in the short term. In the longer term, however, well that's another matter.
Old 02-03-2007, 14:35   #33
I am Banned

Tho the only drawback is now its been advertised by discussion to the fact on here that they are offering competition that could now sway the floaters that may of not realised or thought about it till now
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 14:37   #34
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Tho the only drawback is now its been advertised by discussion to the fact on here that they are offering competition that could now sway the floaters that may of not realised or thought about it till now
I usually find footy fans are well informed anyway.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 21:18   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
This is our problem. Loyal fans will buy a season ticket no matter what. Kids aren't loyal. You can't attract them to a game the club's got no future. They would rather see the players they see on TV playing for their country than Stanley.

I have said this for the past 3 seasons Stanley would make more money with lower prices, there are too many high quality alternatives to lure away fans, and sometimes you have to face it Stanley are the cheap alternative for many fans, with if a better club is at a similar price they'll go there.
Ok to all those who like SamF above think it is our problem, how are we going to solve it, because god knows Macca tried with his red and white fortnight at the start of the season, and others have tried since and been met with the same abject apathy. IF it is our problem, then get of your backsides and do something about it - apologies to those that already do!
I did not say it would not affect Accrington Stanley, of course it will, but and it is a huge BUT, the club has to be made more attractive to both currect supporters and wavering ones. As has been said, Man Utd, City, Liverpool etc at Ewood are what we have to compete with followed closely by PNE, Leeds Utd etc the Turf. Playing the likes of Macclesfield, Torquay, Bury and Rochdale - well as a true Accy supporter, is what I would prefer

PS we can start with helping out Macca and the other supporters club members with the open day at the end of April for a start.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:00   #36

[quote=accymel;391232] Even me dad goes to stanley more now rather than those rubbish,
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08   #37
God Member

I don't know of one 'floating fan' that buys season tickets, so I doubt this will have much of an affect on them, however it does mean that future fans are being encouraged to watch Premiership football.

Call them greedy, but the Premiership clubs are Americanised corporations nowadays. Say Blackburn are McDonalds & we are Little Chef - are they really going to give a flying feck about us losing custom?

The Premiership is just one big billboard, we all know that.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25   #38

[quote=mickmc;391897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Even me dad goes to stanley more now rather than those rubbish,

Well our Mel - I took the deliberate step a few years ago, around the time of major job changes after redundancy etc - at that time I had been a rovers supporter from the age of 11 (now 40 yrs on) and had had a season ticket for 22 years

The price of the season ticket had been raised to a price that I could no longer afford and I made the decision to protest the best way possible by not going!!! as did a lot of my friends - I had been on ewood with a crowd of 1400 so I was no jumper on the band waggon - with rovers facing the drop to the division we're in now

I had always followed Stanley too - having been there at the last game in the league, being there at the first in '68, even to digging the little banking (before it was terraced and became the Coppice end - followed stanley to exotic grounds like the slopes of Bacup Borough !!!

So when my attending at rovers ended i still couldn't do without football and just attended more Stanley.

But now the big clubs are finally getting the message - there is only a limit to what the average working man will pay - now they've done the U turn I will seriously think about going again - but will still attend stanley also.

Mel don't have a go !!! - I quote - "Who'd wanna pay do much to watch divers, ballerina's...oh & lilly savage??? Premiership football is seriously not football anymore but battle of cheating & how expensive your players are, also clubs being taken over by foreigners!!

Football is championship downwards!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> "
-

I seem to remember you being in love with a team from the Premiership, who also play in Red & White, whose supporters come from everywhere except Manchester - even named yr doggie after one of their "ballerina's"

People who live in glass houses etc.........
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23   #39
I am Banned

Oh dear dad heheheheehe same OLD family arguement lol, but quoting non comparables, least my colours are consistant

Whilst i was a kid i didnt experience true nature & excitment of football with 'that blue team' ruling the roost boring me to tears Huncoat united was more entertaining!! Up until Stanley was promoted to conference [I still remember the 1st match albeit on radio - the passion restored my true following] way before then even when i was a kid, stanley was reletively only known for its history [which i loved] than what it was doing at the time, so again back to the arguement of recooping new fanbase & interest was & still is bridging the gap of 40 odd years, as then the footybase locally was either 'those 'orrible boring blues' which was subjected in our house or the clarets which i have affection for & ended up being my 1st ever live footy experience hehehehehe Yes i liked Man U because of the enthusiasm to win, push forward - years before the Yank came in, days before they won the premier league, i did like the way they played, now sad to say money plays a huge part in winning than the talent like for home grown players that started in youth squad way back when, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Nevile bros, etc - that made it more exciting for that talent to develop, unfortunately nowadays its easier to buy foreigners than develop home talent, sadly has lost me over the years, but to stanleys gain & i do see that little sparkle in them especially last season that needs to grow!! But again money is subject to issue & ruin footy as well as be its backbone. Anyone who wants to lay fault at spoiling football is the premiership & BskyB!!!!!

Now tho the mighty stanley is back & i do attend regular as a supporter than as formally known armchair viewer & will stay that way - back to grassroots passion!! Just need to incorporate that for attracting fanbase, also that the friendly family of supporters at stanley is a huge part to play - makes it easier & relaxed for new fans to the coop & also u want to come back again for that [i do lol] nice to have a local town team, which is newish to Accrington

Last edited by accymel; 03-03-2007 at 11:33.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45   #40

So other clubs are reducing their price's.... The premier League is the most marketable league in the world so the likes of Rovers Bolton etc etc can subsidise their gates to a small extent, Burnley Preston and other clubs who's cash windfall is much less will probaly follow suit and discount entry to be offset elseware ??? elseware where is elseware let me tell you.... these clubs have thriving commercial departments Lotteries sponsorship spin offs the list is endless what do we have at Stanley that mirrors this ??? Absolutly rock all..... OK We have a part time lottery chap (Whom i support to the max, his dedication to Stanley is first class) a part time commercial lady, (another who does her best) however we need to wake up commercially we are not at the races FACT.

We need a busy active commercial department, you go down to the ground the place is in darkness it looks asleep, dead, lets get the place buzzin lets employ staff who can do the job, their is no doubt Joyce can do the the job lets make her FULL TIME she has the contacts and ability, get Mick some support lets wake up commercially.

This is the way to discount prices rake in more money commercially and for the record get rid of the e bay stuff... it's a laughin stock.

If we want to compete we need to move forward.

Sorry about this rant but i'm passionate like yourselves we need to suceed we need to survive.

Play up the Stanley
Give us the old gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:51   #41
I am Banned

Excellent point Give is an old green, something of that has been touched on before with regards to store etc, but yes the good surviving clubs in all league & prem tend to have a good commercial market end.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:05   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give us the old gree View Post
Burnley Preston and other clubs who's cash windfall is much less will probaly follow suit and discount entry to be offset elseware ???

Not everyone is following suit, I have heard prices will actually be going UP at the Turf next season. Strange decision which might actually benefit Stanley with the floating fans.
Old 03-03-2007, 14:07   #43
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not everyone is following suit, I have heard prices will actually be going UP at the Turf next season. Strange decision which might actually benefit Stanley with the floating fans.
Does it cost more to play in League 2?
stanaccrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 17:36   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Neither will I and neither will any of the other loyal supporters. But what about the floating fans?
I meant won't be buying Stanley Season tickets next season, Wynonie. They charge £100 for a junior season ticket, three matches into the season announce a discount family pay on the day ticket and have now announced free admittance for juniors. I could have paid on the gate at each match and saved at least a hundred quid over the season. Another performance like today's at Rochdale and I will be a floating fan, floating off to Deepdale or Old Trafford.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 18:06   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanaccrington View Post
Does it cost more to play in League 2?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..