Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree55Likes
  • 8 Post By VALAIRIAN
  • 6 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 2 Post By VALAIRIAN
  • 3 Post By Mr T
  • 4 Post By cashman
  • 4 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 15 Post By The Red Darreners
  • 3 Post By KiTChener
  • 4 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 6 Post By VALAIRIAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2020, 14:20   #1
God Member

Smile Saturday needs to be special.......

With the inevitable coming to fruition, https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...y-kee-retires/
we must make Saturday, very, very special

Players will always come and go, some will retire and be our heros, but this is different.........

I really would not want to be a Womble on Saturday!!

MikeA, AccyMad, baldy and 5 others like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2020, 14:41   #2
God Member

Re: Saturday needs to be special.......

Can we have Kettle in the stocks in the fan zone, with free eggs to hand, in memory of Billy’s denied goal against the Wombles?
MikeA, AccyMad, KiTChener and 3 others like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:42   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Can we have Kettle in the stocks in the fan zone, with free eggs to hand, in memory of Billy’s denied goal against the Wombles?
Great idea

All procceds to a charity
AccyMad and KiTChener like this.

Old 29-01-2020, 17:06   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
not a good idea, someone would be done for murder.
Old 29-01-2020, 17:46   #5
Super Moderator

Our Trevor is at Fulham on Saturday; which isn't that far from Kingsmeadow !!

Maybe get the "incident" on the Big Screen so we can all have a laugh with Billy
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 17:55   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

lets hope we get a large gate to wish Billy well. hope stanley advertize the fact?
Old 29-01-2020, 18:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not a good idea, someone would be done for murder.
No jury would convict you, Cashy!
MikeA, KiTChener, cashman and 1 others like this.
Old 30-01-2020, 00:08   #8

As a fan who rarely posts these days I would like to say a couple of things:

(a) I hope we let Billy see a Birthday Party on Saturday, rather than a Wake. If retirement is the lever that restores a sense of 'normality' or 'freedom' for this fine young man (and his family) then we should celebrate, not mourn.Ali and I first started coming to The Crown (or Wham) in 2009.(I happily accept that we were bandwagon jumpers - we sought a haven of community football rather than win-at-all-costs moneyed nonsense - HOW we found it!!)
This decision turned my wife onto fitba. It was life-changing. We have rearely missed a home game since. The players did a lap of honour at the end of that season (when Billy was on loan). He was a kid then - I will never forget he sported a black eye. Little did I realise then just how much that duelling scar would sum up his attitude, bravery and resilience.
He did the rounds thereafter, and seems to have been loved wherever he went - I was especially thrilled to see him on Saturday at Burton where he scored for fun at one point.

If the Luton goal was the high-point on the pitch for most of us, for me the main mark Billy has made was the interview he gave on the BBC about his depression. Having spent most of the last 20 odd years teaching Psychology I have used it often as a resource, and I know from students' comments just what an impact it had. His struggle with Bulimia Nervosa must be a nightmare - talking about that though,in the context of professional sport is even more inspirational and reassuring, especially among young men, than he will ever know.
I have spent countless hours watching Billy on the pitch, getting battered, getting so little help from officials devoid of insight into the rigours of professional football, let alone its rules (and that's NOT the effect of my rose-coloured specs - the tint wore off those aeons ago). The fact is, as one who has watched, admired and studied the game over five decades (Southampton, Stockport and Oldham (the good Oldham, under Joe Royle) were my previous teams)week after week after week Billy was without question the finest, and bravest, hold-up merchant I have ever seen.
So applaud him, shed a tear even, but don't be sad, feel blessed and lucky that he chose our little place, and found the right folk (in John, Jimmy, John, Andy and others) who 'got' him and trusted him. And wish him and his kin well. And give him the love, the respect, cement the bond, and ensure he doesn't become a stranger.
(b) And on a related note, I'm well aware of our league position, and the injury misfortunes over the last few weeks, but I feel sure we WILL survive in this league, and I just wanted to say this. The Emeritus Professor has unearthed two more diamonds this season. People whinge about Colby Bishop's missed chances, but for me his hold-up play has been exceptional for someone leaping up three divisions. These things take time. Back him. I think he has a fantastic attitude - he certainly doesn't hide away.
And as for young Dion Charles - win or lose, he blows me away game after game after game,hungry, brave, creative. What will he be like next year? He'll blossom.
Both these lads also seem to be exceptional human beings - both have humility, perspective and confidence. Both were playing in National League North last season. We would all do well to remember that from time to time.

These are still good times to be supporters of our fantastic club. So make Saturday a HAPPY day, regardless of the result. Billy and his kin deserve NOTHING less.
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 00:12   #9

Quote:

If it were to raise money for ‘MIND’, in honour of Billy, I would gladly wear a mask of Mr Kettle, taking his place in aforementioned stocks!!

Or, maybe,in lieu of a mask, simply hold a kettle, then hopefully participants will aim for that, rather than my head!!
AccyMad, Outback Ozzy and yonmon like this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:00   #10
God Member

Could have a collection using kettles?

(That’s kettles, not Kettle’s! )

P.S. brilliant post from the Red Darreners.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39   #11
God Member

Smile Re: Saturday needs to be special.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
With the inevitable coming to fruition, https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...y-kee-retires/
we must make Saturday, very, very special

Players will always come and go, some will retire and be our heros, but this is different.........

I really would not want to be a Womble on Saturday!!

And it was

Old 07-02-2020, 09:45   #12
God Member

pity i missed it. never knew anything was going on the day about billy till i saw the saturday highlights show. bloody lap tops i,ll have to buy a new one to keep up to date.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..