Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2021, 10:58   #1
God Member

Question Season ahead??

The dawn of our 16th Football League campaign is almost upon us and I was just wondering what the views of others are, with regards to our formation and also our XI?

I know that things change depending on the opposition Etc. - but in the main - Coley always likes a system and always likes a settled XI.

We must be due a good run in a cup, which will help us with ££££.

Thoughts please Ladies and Gentlemen

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2021, 11:05   #2
God Member

Re: Season ahead??

Good cup run are down to getting the results first and then hopefully a club that will attract home or away money in the coffers, team selection depends on what formation Coley chooses but I think Nottingham, Burgess, Conneelly and Pritchard are probably the first 4 written on the team sheet. With what on paper looks like a competitive squad hopefully those with the shirt will produce or they are replaced.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:08   #3
Senior Member+

Trafford
Nottingham Sykes Burgess
McConville Butcher Pell O'Sullivan
Pritchard
Bishop Charles

Conneely for Burgess when fit.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:14   #4
Senior Member+

Might be an issue for Coley up top though with the window not closing until 31/8.
If Dion gets off to a flyer in particular ......... but its an inverted compliment to the club that some of our lads are potential targets.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:43   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to me Sean Mac has not been the same player since his injury, certainly still not there in the 3 friendlies i have seen so i would omit him until he gets his game back.
Old 02-08-2021, 14:52   #6
Senior Member+

Assuming that all players are fully fit, my choice of formation and players would be……..

Trafford
Sykes Nottingham Burgess
Coneely
O’Sullivan Pell Butcher Pritchard
Bishop Charles

I regard my choice of formation as an attacking set up.
The two key players for me in this set up would be O’Sullivan and Pritchard.
Both lads would have to be highly mobile, retreating as defensive wing backs when we are being attacked, in order to make a defensive line of four or five. This would allow Sykes or Burgess to go more central in support of Nottingham.
However, when we are on the attack the same two would be getting forward as proper wingers making four in attack and with midfielders supporting centrally too. Also I would give the same two lads a clear instruction to get outside and behind their opposing full backs with the ball, in order to get into the penalty box right up to the opponents goal line and then pull the ball back towards the penalty spot. Pritchard would be my choice to take free kicks and corners and Bishop would take penalties!
ON STANLEY ON
cashman and yonmon like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 15:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Assuming that all players are fully fit, my choice of formation and players would be……..

Trafford
Sykes Nottingham Burgess
Coneely
Bishop Charles

Both lads would have to be highly mobile, retreating as defensive wing backs when we are being attacked, in order to make a defensive line of four or five. This would allow Sykes or Burgess to go more central in support of Nottingham.
However, when we are on the attack the same two would be getting forward as proper wingers making four in attack and with midfielders supporting centrally too. Also I would give the same two lads a clear instruction to get outside and behind their opposing full backs with the ball, in order to get into the penalty box right up to the opponents goal line and then pull the ball back towards the penalty spot. Pritchard would be my choice to take free kicks and corners and Bishop would take penalties!
ON STANLEY ON
That choirboy is close to most fans starting 11 just one concern about 2 attack minded wing backs is the defending element, Pritchard wasn't bad O, Sullivan we will have to see, Harvey Rodgers is the other option because last season he grew into the role defencivly he was excellent and he was improving going forward, good choices to have though.

Last edited by andyd; 02-08-2021 at 15:07.
Old 02-08-2021, 15:08   #8
Senior Member+

ps. We will need to very strong at centre back in our first match at Wycombe as they have signed Sam Vokes, formerly of Burnley and a Welsh International! Stanley will need to mark him closely but also stifle the supply of passes to him!
Old 02-08-2021, 15:17   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
That choirboy is close to most fans starting 11 just one concern about 2 attack minded wing backs is the defending element, Pritchard wasn't bad O, Sullivan we will have to see, Harvey Rodgers is the other option because last season he grew into the role defencivly he was excellent and he was improving going forward, good choices to have though.
I take your point to some degree andyd. My only doubt here is that O’Sullivan tends to slide in to tackles on his bum which raises his studs and referees will readily give free kicks against him! Good coaching can cure this, he needs to be taught to stay on his feet in the tackle. I really like Rogers but for me he is a much better defender than when he is going forward. Rogers would be my first choice substitute though. Sean Mac used to be a very good ‘Wing Back’ as he was very mobile, could tackle and would take on opposing full backs both inside cutting in and outside getting to the goal line. IMHO …….Since his very bad injury he hasn’t been the same player in any of these areas.
cashman and andyd like this.
Old 02-08-2021, 16:19   #10
God Member

Quote:
ps. We will need to very strong at centre back in our first match at Wycombe as they have signed Sam Vokes, formerly of Burnley and a Welsh International! Stanley will need to mark him closely but also stifle the supply of passes to him!
Sam Vokes is very similar to Charlie Wyke lay it on a plate for him he,ll score your right need to limit his supply.
choirboy likes this.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:41   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
to me Sean Mac has not been the same player since his injury, certainly still not there in the 3 friendlies i have seen so i would omit him until he gets his game back.
possibly he might be a bit wary of fully stretching himself in games that do not really matter. think we,ll get the answer once the season starts and he gets on the pitch. always remember he is not getting younger and not everyone is an ellison.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:42   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:

Trafford
Sykes Nottingham Burgess
Coneely
Bishop Charles

ON STANLEY ON
Seamus won't be recovered in time for Saturday mate.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:45   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Trafford
Nottingham Sykes Burgess
McConville Butcher Pell O'Sullivan
Pritchard
Bishop Charles

Conneely for Burgess when fit.
I've just realised ......... Conneely for Butcher that should have said !
Old 03-08-2021, 09:58   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
possibly he might be a bit wary of fully stretching himself in games that do not really matter. think we,ll get the answer once the season starts and he gets on the pitch. always remember he is not getting younger and not everyone is an ellison.
he looks a bit overweight to me?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:10   #15
Full Member+

I would have Savin over Trafford, I think they will both get games until one emerges as clear first choice and I reckon it is Savin this season.

I think Mumbongo will feature more after a few games and end up top scorer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..