Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By DAV007
  • 1 Post By Wynonie Harris
  • 1 Post By Greeny
  • 2 Post By lancsdave
  • 11 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By AccyMad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2016, 20:06   #1
Senior Member+

Season Highlights

Can everyone share their season highlights?

for me, there are 6 which stand out

1. new owners who have been brilliant and have already made good improvements with many more on there way

2. existing players improving and stepping up especially crooks, connelly, pearson, etc

3. john and jimmy - masterminded some brilliant away wins while playing some of the best football in the league

4. the OSC - a credit to the club, brilliant group of people

5. stanley community trust - some excellent work

6. the official website - much improved!

already looking forward to a fantastic 2016/17
baldy likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2016, 20:51   #2
Full Member+

Re: Season Highlights

The away win at Oxford, down to ten men and holding on with several suspensions...

The first time I though automatic was realistic
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:27   #3
Senior Member+

Orient away,that's when the roller coaster ride started IMO
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:08   #4
Super Moderator

Mingy's wonderful goal in the Wimbledon play-off match.
cashman likes this.
Old 24-05-2016, 11:18   #5
Full Member+

The entire season.
DAV007 likes this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:38   #6

Wycombe away was a brilliant day to be a Stanley fan.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:46   #7
God Member

Wycombe away for me too. Also the only time I've seen 90 minutes play all season
AccyMad and KiTChener like this.
Old 24-05-2016, 12:08   #8
God Member

Received the following from someone I shall refer to as "the Bard of Burnley Road", which I thought sums up the season quite well:

Ode to the Red Army

I guess I knew that it was fate
When last we drew the team we hate,
When all we needed was to score,
But had to settle for a draw.
Those Bristol boys would score so late,
That Oxford too, like Red Rums ghost,
Would overtake us at the post.
Those dreaded play-offs would await,
That we would stumble, once again,
Against those Dons we'd strive in vain.
Although we all have shed some tears,
Let’s give our team three hearty cheers.
They gave us such a thrilling ride,
And filled us all with heartfelt pride.
So thanks to Jimmy, John and staff,
Good luck to Crooks and Josh Windass.
To all our lads who gave their all,
Our little team can still stand tall.
Next season we'll begin once more,
At Crewe and ‘Pool our voice will roar
And this is what our boys will sing,
We are Stanley, we are Stanley, Coley is our king!”

Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 15:40   #9
God Member

These tables show one of the season's highlights and the other suggests where Stanley's achilles heel was.

There may be several explanations for the home form but I still wonder about the size of the pitch. Does anyone know whether Stanley's playing pitch, as opposed to the entire grassed area that extends up to walls, is above or below the average size in League 2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last 10 away.jpg (87.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg last 8 home.jpg (85.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 26-05-2016, 12:58   #10
Senior Member+

One particular 'Highlight' for me was.......
Being able to flush the loo in The Clayton End toilets when I went for a 'doo doo' early doors versus Morecambe!

After that the rest of the season was CRAP!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 23:46   #11
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
These tables show one of the season's highlights and the other suggests where Stanley's achilles heel was.

There may be several explanations for the home form but I still wonder about the size of the pitch. Does anyone know whether Stanley's playing pitch, as opposed to the entire grassed area that extends up to walls, is above or below the average size in League 2?
Stanleys Pitch Size: 111 x 72 yards Bristol Rovers Pitch Size: 110 x 73 yards Oxford Utd Pitch Size: 112 x 78 yards Plymouth Argyle Pitch Size: 112 x 73 yards Portsmouth Pitch Size: 115 x 73 yards WAFC Wimbledon Pitch Size: 110 x 75 yards Northhampton Town Pitch Size: 116 x 72 yards ....
Old 27-05-2016, 08:56   #12
God Member

Mab, thanks for that.
I found similar 'official' figures when I researched it but the thing that I can't figure out is whether the dimensions at The Crown refer to the entire grassed area which, as we all know, extend right up to the boundary walls.
My gut feeling is that (similar to the official ground capacity) the actual playing area at The Crown seems smaller, especially the width
I'm just wondering whether the relative success Stanley have had this season when playing away is partly down to being able to play their passing game more readily on slightly larger pitches (a day out at Wembley might have settled this) whereas, at home, teams are more easily able to close down The Reds.
For instance, whilst the result was what we wanted, at Wycombe away it was clear they had reduced the width of their pitch by about three or four yards, at least down the side I could clearly see. At the time I wondered whether that was to compress Stanley's game.
Unfortunately, given the limited space available, I doubt if, in building the new Whinney Hill stand, there'll be an opportunity to add a few metres to the playing surface at The Crown.
P.S. Apologies to Davo, this is entirely the wrong thread for these ramblings.
Old 27-05-2016, 14:11   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Mab, thanks for that.
I found similar 'official' figures when I researched it but the thing that I can't figure out is whether the dimensions at The Crown refer to the entire grassed area which, as we all know, extend right up to the boundary walls.
My gut feeling is that (similar to the official ground capacity) the actual playing area at The Crown seems smaller, especially the width
I'm just wondering whether the relative success Stanley have had this season when playing away is partly down to being able to play their passing game more readily on slightly larger pitches (a day out at Wembley might have settled this) whereas, at home, teams are more easily able to close down The Reds.
For instance, whilst the result was what we wanted, at Wycombe away it was clear they had reduced the width of their pitch by about three or four yards, at least down the side I could clearly see. At the time I wondered whether that was to compress Stanley's game.
Unfortunately, given the limited space available, I doubt if, in building the new Whinney Hill stand, there'll be an opportunity to add a few metres to the playing surface at The Crown.
P.S. Apologies to Davo, this is entirely the wrong thread for these ramblings.

It may help if it was flat.

I think the home form was down to fatigue which took its toll once the postponed games started being played, Barnet being the first example late Feb, and away games were more suitable. That is my theory, even though possession stats don't really back it up.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:50   #14
God Member

I think that people who went to all the away matches have had a better season to remember than the ones who like me saw all the home games and just a few away. funny I remember the York away and the 1st. half at hartlepools more than the home games. some good home games but the season may be remembered for the last 3 games played.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 21:23   #15
God Member

Difficult to pick out highlights in such a fantastic season but I think Hartlepool at the Crown that night in January after two months with no home games was a favourite - it was like our season was starting all over again!
Luton away also stands out, brilliant win with Billy Kee in the stands after being injured in the previous game & joining in with all the songs & chants - & then of course, Wycombe away, what an atmosphere - will never forget being part of that.
chopper5 likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..