Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2017, 13:48   #16
God Member

Re: Season Tickets 2017-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

Agreed 100%. Supported Stanley wherever they were, even in the depths of the Lancs Combination. And I'd rather be a "happy, clappy fan" (whatever one of those is) supporting real, grassroots football, instead of sitting in some sterile, plastic stadium watching a premiership match between two sets of cosseted, jaded millionaires. Sadly, though, there aren't many like us, especially in Accy!
you,vewynonie hit the non league scene on the head totally there. real grassroots football is what they really mean as playing on surfaces even a rugby club would complain of, poor standard of football, officials much worse than we get but you can always go into the clubhouse after the game, have a go at football in the premier and football league and dream of your local postman getting the winner against who, one of the football league sides you,ve decried all season. sorry wynonie its just not for me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2017, 19:28   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
you,vewynonie hit the non league scene on the head totally there. real grassroots football is what they really mean as playing on surfaces even a rugby club would complain of, poor standard of football, officials much worse than we get but you can always go into the clubhouse after the game, have a go at football in the premier and football league and dream of your local postman getting the winner against who, one of the football league sides you,ve decried all season. sorry wynonie its just not for me.
A bit harsh on the National League, MH. I'm sure the likes of Tranmere, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Aldershot and Torquay wouldn't recognise that scenario at all. Not many "local postmen" playing at full-time clubs like these. As for "having a go at football in the premier", I reckon most Stanley fans do that. This is why we go to Stanley!
AccyMad and Red-Osbornello like this.
Old 13-02-2017, 22:44   #18
Full Member+

Quote:

Agreed 100%. Supported Stanley wherever they were, even in the depths of the Lancs Combination. And I'd rather be a "happy, clappy fan" (whatever one of those is) supporting real, grassroots football, instead of sitting in some sterile, plastic stadium watching a premiership match between two sets of cosseted, jaded millionaires. Sadly, though, there aren't many like us, especially in Accy!
You can't call Stanley grassroots these days, it must kill you watching professional football. Plenty of jaded millionaires at the crown, did you not see the Notts County squad?
monkey hanger likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 23:27   #19
Super Moderator

As the smallest club in the FL, I'd say Stanley are still very much grassroots...and standing on the Clayton End enjoying the craic, watching my home town team is a world away from the smug, plastic, artificial blandness of your average premier league stadium. Now, having to go through the latter every other week would kill me!
Old 14-02-2017, 08:26   #20

Refer to my thread about supporting Leeds v Accy.

I'd very much prefer Stanley to be above non-league if my infrequent trips to Stockport County and Guisely are anything to go by, but I'd still prefer that to paying £33 for something very bland.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:28   #21
God Member

Quote:
A bit harsh on the National League, MH. I'm sure the likes of Tranmere, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Aldershot and Torquay wouldn't recognise that scenario at all. Not many "local postmen" playing at full-time clubs like these. As for "having a go at football in the premier", I reckon most Stanley fans do that. This is why we go to Stanley!
try north ferriby, guiseley, fylde, maybe salford next season plus the likes of forest green rovers where you can,t even purchase non veggie food. home games where they,ll come in a taxi with room to spare. total lack of atmosphere. substitute morecambe for the delights of a 1950,s film set, sorry i mean barrow. is this what anyone really wants. no league cup and the delights of being knocked out of the fa cup qualifing round by someone called west allotments on a pitch that the grassroots have died months before. the real glory of the non league scene.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 09:53   #22
God Member

Quote:
try north ferriby, guiseley, fylde, maybe salford next season plus the likes of forest green rovers where you can,t even purchase non veggie food. home games where they,ll come in a taxi with room to spare. total lack of atmosphere. substitute morecambe for the delights of a 1950,s film set, sorry i mean barrow. is this what anyone really wants. no league cup and the delights of being knocked out of the fa cup qualifing round by someone called west allotments on a pitch that the grassroots have died months before. the real glory of the non league scene.
Have good memories of most if the places you mention, with the exception of Barrow of course (I defy anyone to have good memories of that place) & Salford who were almost unheard of pre-Nevillegate & no of course revisiting them isn't what most of us want but we'd cope without (much) moaning if we had to because it'd still be our club & that's what's important
Wynonie Harris likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:47   #23

Of course I don't want to be relegated. But I also realise it wouldn't be the end of the world. To me the division we play in doesn't really matter. It's about the craic with friends and also seeing Accrington represented on the footballing map, which a club on a stable footing the town can be proud of.

I've never understood this modern trend of going to watch the opposition. Whether we play Frickley or Fulham, Pontefract Colleries or Plymouth, I'm going to watch The Stanley, nobody else.

Is playing Aldershot, Wrexham et al. actually all that different to playing then likes of Morecambe and Newport? I'd suggest some of these views of Non League are very outdated. There's at least ten clubs at Conference North level (two below) who can draw four figure crowds, never mind the National League itself.

I've never been to Braintree or Dover either so every cloud!!

It won't happen though. We will never be relegated under JC. Dragged us from Congelton and Flixton to West Ham and Boro. Won't let it slide easily!!
Old 14-02-2017, 11:53   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
"What anyone really wants"? Where did anyone on this thread say non-league is what we really want? The point is, you seem to support Stanley because they're Football League. Most of us support Stanley because they're Stanley!
AccyMad and Chimer like this.
Old 14-02-2017, 14:22   #25
Full Member+

There are some very supportive comments about the club, I used to follow Stanley from the early 90s to approximately 98. That was the old Unibond days. Some were enjoyable but we all wanted to get back into the league. Some the grounds mentioned brings back memories. Who remembers Emley who played on the top of the moors. Brave supporters only went there. The club became Emley and Wakefield trinity. The craic was good then. The Stanley we have today is a completely different animal and we are in different times with different pressures. Each game matters to the financial survival of the club more now than ever before. If we go down there needs to be a complete restructuring of the management system. We would have to use the time wisely to rebuild. I still hope we will stay up even if it is by our fingernails. As to support another club is not a feasible idea. You are what you are. Good, Bad or indifferent. we hurt as much as fans of any other club when things are going against us. We all have our opinions on the rights and wrong of decisions by managers, Refs etc. My beef at the moment is the way the club is being mismanaged on the off field bit. we were promised the upgrade of systems that don't seem to be appearing. Yet the supporters club and fans have done a fantastic job getting the fanzone up and running and the big screen project. whether you agree or not you can not decry the commitment of the supporters to do the best for their club. We can return to winning ways with fans like we have. we just need a lot more.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Chrisr; 14-02-2017 at 14:24.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 15:53   #26

Come on Chris, there's been plenty of improvements off the pitch. New seats, toilets, new pitch, loads of clearance around the ground etc.
Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will Stanley be.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 16:52   #27
Senior Member+

Just to be clear ChrisR, What "upgrade of systems" are you talking about?
Old 14-02-2017, 17:27   #28
God Member

Quote:
As the smallest club in the FL, I'd say Stanley are still very much grassroots...
I'm sure most fans, including all of Stanley's, would agree with that, Wynonie, but it's interesting that they are not from the smallest town.
Fleetwood, with a population of around 25,000, can claim that.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 21:53   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Come on Chris, there's been plenty of improvements off the pitch. New seats, toilets, new pitch, loads of clearance around the ground etc.
Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will Stanley be.
I agree there have been some fantastic improvements around the ground. The toilets in the sports bar a due a bit of renovation. But as you rightly say Rome was not built in a day, The club has come a long way in many ways yet have been lagging behind on the technology front. I appreciate there are a lot of things to do and we will get there.
Old 14-02-2017, 22:17   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Just to be clear ChrisR, What "upgrade of systems" are you talking about?
The ticket system. The ability to buy tickets online, or change seating if you are a season ticket holder who wants to bring other friends to a match. this may involve surrendering your normal seats to avail yourself of any extra seats if you want to sit together. We all received emails on more than one occasions warning us to bring our season ticket book for scanning, not happened. why? This software is inexpensive and should have been a priority before now. The benefits as a management tool should have been recognised long ago. Many people who do support the club know only too well the system would be a fantastic boon to the smooth running of the club. The biggest upgrade to our club system is to be competitive with our neighbours. we had the ticket fiasco with prices for the Luton Match compared to premier league clubs. This should not happen. you can't increase home crowds by charging more than prem clubs for a cup match. Attitudes need to change. We need a more customer friendly approach, The grumpy old man image of the board does not help. Andy Holt will spare time to talk to anybody and that is great. The electronic side of the systems management is lacking and letting us down. Our prices for in match catering and drinks are a little high. £2.50 for a pie is a bit OTT. why not have a specials deal like pie and peas for say £2. the meal deals we are selling at the moment can be made more attractive. There are many other little ideas that make visiting the wham an experience people will come for and can afford to enjoy. we are going the right way. My comments and observations are for the betterment of the club and not criticism.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..