Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2017, 10:40   #31

Re: Season Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I can see the advertising campaign now 'If I don't eat a Hollands pie, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley' . . . . . . . Oh no, wait a minute - I think something similar's already been done
Think you got that the wrong way round AccyMad.
Shouldn't it read....'If I do eat a Hollands pie, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley'
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2017, 12:01   #32
God Member

"If I don't play well I'll end up in a Holland's pie"
AccyMad and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:31   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
"If I don't play well I'll end up in a Holland's pie"
Nah they by passed meat years ago.
Old 07-03-2017, 14:01   #34
Senior Member+

Time to concentrate on getting the u16 fans hooked! Although they won't be paying £20 now, we need to be thinking longer term, 5/10 years!

Was said in the pub on Saturday that when most of us on here was growing up Stanley wasn't even good enough to be on FIFA games on PlayStation/Xbox like we are now!

The kids of today arnt growing up with the "Poor little Stanley" who people Support as a 2nd team, Were a respectable football league club!!

The sooner we lose the "Little Stanley between Blackburn and Burnley" label the better!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 16:29   #35
God Member

Exactleeeeee Baldy. Unfortunately we cant afford to turn away anyone's money but I personally hate all this 2nd team nonsense. I'd personally rather have a 1000 Reds than 1500 liquorice allsorts. They dilute the atmosphere and contribute largely to the negativity.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 17:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Exactleeeeee Baldy. Unfortunately we cant afford to turn away anyone's money but I personally hate all this 2nd team nonsense. I'd personally rather have a 1000 Reds than 1500 liquorice allsorts. They dilute the atmosphere and contribute largely to the negativity.
The attitude of the Turkey there I'm afraid. And talking about christmas you've more chance of Santa Claus being real than 1000 hard core Stanley fans never mind the 2000 per week needed.

The trouble with football these days is the unrealistic expectation of fans and I mean all over not just here. There is far more things to do these days than turn up at the old style football grounds with poor facilities paying £20 or more a time.

I've reached the stage where I'm less inclined to put effort in going to the same old places and more inclined to go to the pub and watch games and have a bevvy. That doesn't mean I've stopped going, just got more choosier and I'd never have thought that even a few years ago. And I don't know what would bring the magic back other than playing a few more different teams and different grounds.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 18:01   #37

Deyaayess - it's weird reading this. I watched footy for 30 years before getting sick and tired of it.

Stanley are a total breath of fresh air. I can't imagine getting bored with them as they are everything I loved about watching Leeds - especially for the first 20 years. Young kids like David Batty breaking through. Loveable old donkeys like John Pearson, has beens like Mickey Thomas. The thrill of promotion, the risk of relegation, the dashed hopes of mid table mediocrity. Arguing with fellow fans who never rated Howard Wilkinson, loving Carlton Palmer who everyone else hated. Weird bond schemes to raise cash.... I never tired of it until Peter Ridsdale decided we'd be a European mega club.

I hope Stanley see me through the next 30 years.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 18:15   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to say i have never got sick of watching football live, even when i lived in Spain i did go watch n support Malaga, to me theres no comparison at all between TV,@ Live.
Old 07-03-2017, 18:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Deyaayess - it's weird reading this. I watched footy for 30 years before getting sick and tired of it.

Stanley are a total breath of fresh air. I can't imagine getting bored with them as they are everything I loved about watching Leeds - especially for the first 20 years. Young kids like David Batty breaking through. Loveable old donkeys like John Pearson, has beens like Mickey Thomas. The thrill of promotion, the risk of relegation, the dashed hopes of mid table mediocrity. Arguing with fellow fans who never rated Howard Wilkinson, loving Carlton Palmer who everyone else hated. Weird bond schemes to raise cash.... I never tired of it until Peter Ridsdale decided we'd be a European mega club.

I hope Stanley see me through the next 30 years.
I've been watching football for over 30 years too and Accy for 12 or 13. It is great to start with but after a few years it's the same old teams at the same old grounds time after time and it's worse in Scotland because there are less teams in each league.

I would probably look at it differently if I lived just down the road from the ground but getting up at 7am and not getting home until after midnight takes the shine off it after working all week. I know some people do it and good luck to them but some weeks I just can't be bothered anymore.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:00   #40
God Member

Smile Re: Season Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I've been watching football for over 30 years too and Accy for 12 or 13. It is great to start with but after a few years it's the same old teams at the same old grounds time after time and it's worse in Scotland because there are less teams in each league.

I would probably look at it differently if I lived just down the road from the ground but getting up at 7am and not getting home until after midnight takes the shine off it after working all week. I know some people do it and good luck to them but some weeks I just can't be bothered anymore.
Do not ever apologise mate, you do more miles/hours in one game than some do all season

Understand fully what you say about "being bothered", I cannot help but think that being so close, yet so far away last season has had an effect....

Back to the thread, great value and I believe absolutely that 1000+ will be announced in August
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:45   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Hope yer right joe, i have me doubts.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:09   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope yer right joe, i have me doubts.
i,ve bigger doubts than you cashy. if its entertainment your after a lot of this season especially before christmas could be written off in the league. the games certainly have improved since then which have made me go to renew my season ticket in due course. the first part of the season was a good win against portsmouth, two lucky ones against doncaster and f.c.oyston and the rest totally forgettable. a lot who sit around me agree also.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:16   #43
God Member

I would probably look at it differently if I lived just down the road from the ground but getting up at 7am and not getting home until after midnight takes the shine off it after working all week. I know some people do it and good luck to them but some weeks I just can't be bothered anymore.[/QUOTE]

my feeling on away games now for a similar reason. can afford to drive to the far outposts of the empire like exeter. when i did my ground hopping twenty odd years ago you could park anywhere near a ground, roll up and pay on the gate. now its a minefield that occasional fans have to go through just to get parked and enter a ground. used to go to other grounds near me but stopped doing that a couple of years ago and only watch stanley at home and nearish away games.
Chrisr likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:53   #44

MH - I've enjoyed every match apart from Luton away which was pretty dull.
Even when we weren't scoring we played pretty well, were involved in tight games, had some bad luck/controversy of one form or another.
All the cup matches were special of course.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to say, most of time we were not scoring,we were still creating more than most oppositions, to me we aint played that poorly for most of this season,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..