Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree249Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2017, 18:47   #61

Re: Season Tickets

One step at a time and, god willing, I shall be in charge.... what's first? the coveted fan's rep job?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2017, 18:52   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
One step at a time and, god willing, I shall be in charge.... what's first? the coveted fan's rep job?
Yeh will have to go into strict training to take that off Dav. fancy words wont be enough.
Old 09-03-2017, 19:08   #63

I'm happy to employ my size 11 Doc Marten boots n all.
Old 09-03-2017, 19:15   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I'm happy to employ my size 11 Doc Marten boots n all.
Foolish fellow,yeh never met Dav,obviously? makes incredible hulk look like a mouse.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 20:02   #65
Full Member+

Some people have tweeted about the reintroduction of the flexi ticket. So I tweeted Andy Holt to see if it could be reintroduced as well as the loyalty card. Or any other carrot we can dangle to get people in. I will wait and see what comes back. We all know in our heart of hearts that the crowds we have will not sustain the club. The amount of work going on at the moment is expensive and will improve the access and parking at the ground. Things are progressing well. I have had my whinges like everybody else. we need to try everything we can think of to get a home crowd of at least 2000 for the finances and the atmosphere. We can all push our ideas and if the club management can see the sense in what people are saying we have more than half a chance. We have to remember the biggest barrier to attracting young fans is Brand association, MAN U will be named as their first team rather than Accy. We have to restore a pride in our towns team. How many fans of the top premier league teams can actually get in to a match? We can offer the real deal for football close to the pitch and the reality of what is involved in a proper match.
Grass roots football. We know this is a low wage area with high levels of unemployment and we have to cater for those people like we used to do. We need a more public campaign to draw the crowds. We should also have a full time womens football team as women's football is well on the way up.
DAV007 and monkey hanger like this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 21:10   #66
Senior Member+

Flexi ticket was great, Worked well
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 21:31   #67

Chris - there's no accounting for taste I'm afraid. Accrington, a run down old town with hard up people (so I'm told) has, on its doorstep the greatest value for money sporting attraction in the world. The history, the romance. David v Goliath. What more could you want for £9/week?

I think we are probably looking at the laws of diminishing returns trying too hard to attract fans in. Get the basics right, don't rip people off and keep king Coley at the helm. If the denizens of the town still prefer washing their cars, the lure of Accrington market or staying in watching ****e on telly then what can you do?

Last edited by Lord Didsbury; 09-03-2017 at 21:33. Reason: Too many doorsteps
Old 09-03-2017, 22:47   #68

Over the past year there has been a recurring theme on this forum.........
What can we do to increase our gates?
There have been constructive ideas, clever ideas & bonkers ideas.
But, Gentlemen, allow me to tell you the answer to this question.............
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Accrington is a town in terminal decline with a population who have a long history of apathy.
The apathy was already endemic when the original Stanley shuffled off their mortal coil back in 62 & it's still with us today.
We can come up with all the clever ideas we want, but it won't add another 50 to the gate.
At the end of the day, the club is a commercial business, one based in the entertainment sector.
What do people want when they look for entertainment? Excitement, thrills, escapism. Something to elevate them from their humdrum lives.
They get this in shedloads at the cinema or on their 42 inch HD TV's.
They can watch live European & Premiership football virtually seven days a week on television.
Film & TV producers know what people want & are experts at satisfying that demand.
We all know in our hearts that the only thing which will bring in the fans is SUCCESS!
Lincoln City are more successful now in the Conference than they ever were struggling in the football league, because they've found the magic recipe.
They have that special momentum which only comes from success and carries everyone along in their wake.
Until Stanley can recreate the form which gave us so much excitement last season, I'm afraid all our ideas are not worth a peppered steak.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
I'm afraid all our ideas are not worth a peppered steak.
Let's all just pack up and not bother anymore then!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:57   #70
God Member

Lincoln City are more successful now in the Conference than they ever were struggling in the football league, because they've found the magic recipe.
They have that special momentum which only comes from success and carries everyone along in their wake.
Until Stanley can recreate the form which gave us so much excitement last season, I'm afraid all our ideas are not worth a peppered steak.[/QUOTE]

the problem is you are right. i know a lot won,t like it but it,s completely true. people nowadays are only interested in success especially kids. 50 years ago people were happy to support their local club but with increased car ownership and a better road network this has been eroded. our problem is to increase our gates by ten per cent only means an extra 150 or so on the gate where we need another 500. without success it aint going to happen. can,t really compare lincoln to accrington though. without looking at a map i suppose their nearest rivels could be doncaster or scunthorpe unlike what stanley have to put up with.
Chrisr likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Let's all just pack up and not bother anymore then!
No one's suggesting we should adopt this attitude.
I've been successful in convincing a friend to join me every home game who, in turn, occasionally brings members of his own family.
Does it make any difference to our overall gate - not one iota!
My point is the honeymoon period following Stanley's return to the football league has become a faded memory for most people.
Every season, with the exception of the last, has become largely a matter of survival.
As others have pointed out, Stanley have been reduced to their core support, which barely fluctuates.
The only time gates are increased is when we get the teams with a bigger away following, or the odd FA Cup game.
Only success on the field will make any difference to attendances (I only used non-league Lincoln to illustrate the point)
All this gnashing of teeth about our poor gates should be reserved for scoffing said peppered steak pie.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:05   #72
God Member

To ALL contributors to this thread, and the scores of similar threads ...

If I said that I was working on a plan to implement all the ideas ever mooted Would you join me?

If I said that I was working on a plan to co-ordinate a marketing campaign with the fans, Supporters Club, Historical Club (soon to be), Community Trust, Ultras and the Football Club, Would you join me?

If I said I was working on a plan to launch the biggest single drive for new fans that this club has EVER undertaken WOULD YOU JOIN ME?

I will be looking to form a small committee of like-minded DO'ERS, people who can think, discuss and initiate.

Further down the line I will need a SMALL ARMY of volunteers to help implement the various actions.

I wasnt going to say anything at all until full steam ahead was granted, so for that reason I wont go into full detail just yet. However, as the discussions at my end are beginning to gather pace, and this topic has reared its head again, it seems appropriate to make a beginning ...

The tagline will be FULL IMMERSION, we ALL need to get behind it and get into it.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28   #73
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
If I said that I was working on a plan to implement all the ideas ever mooted Would you join me?

If I said that I was working on a plan to co-ordinate a marketing campaign with the fans, Supporters Club, Historical Club (soon to be), Community Trust, Ultras and the Football Club, Would you join me?

If I said I was working on a plan to launch the biggest single drive for new fans that this club has EVER undertaken WOULD YOU JOIN ME?
You once also had a plan to keep a large potato pie all season and force someone to eat a slice of it at every game throughout the season...

Do you see these new plans being more or less successful than that one ended up?
AccyMad likes this.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:30   #74

Just a thought but what if free admission for all August League Games was offered to home fans? Maybe 2/3 games.

Massive pre publicity. (schools/workplaces/areas outside Accrington RV/R'dale) Hope that the team plays well, August sunshine, smell of freshly cut grass etc. Hopefully get a big gate/good atmosphere and get people into the habit of coming. Get details of non-Season ticket attendees and market season tickets/match day tickets to these people in hope they become regular fans.

Lost revenue from home fans would be say 400 walk-ons at £20 for three games=£24,000. To recoup this over full season would require additional season ticket sales of 109 (109 x £220=£23980) or additional walk-ons over season of 60 per game on average ((£24000/£20)/20games).
Basically if average gate for rest of games increased by 60 it would not lead to any lost revenue.

Fan base increased by 5% (60/1200).

Last edited by Inspector Morse; 10-03-2017 at 11:34. Reason: typo
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:40   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osbornello View Post
You once also had a plan to keep a large potato pie all season and force someone to eat a slice of it at every game throughout the season...

Do you see these new plans being more or less successful than that one ended up?
The Pie That Wouldnt Die was usurped by;
a) getting thrown out of Great Harwood
b) kebab shops being closed
c) 2 drunken fat gets slavvering over a tray full of pie

Other than that it was a great idea!
AccyMad and Red-Osbornello like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..