Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2015, 19:08   #1

Should Have Been Postponed Earlier

Tonight's game should have been postponed a lot earlier such as this morning so that the Hartlepool fans didn't have a wasted journey, I don't like to see fans having wasted journeys.
cashman and keep the faith like this.
Somerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2015, 19:18   #2
God Member

Re: Should Have Been Postponed Earlier

No-one does - talk about stating the obvious
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
No-one does - talk about stating the obvious
I suppose I am, but the game should have been postponed this am because then the away fans wouldn't have had a wasted journey
Somerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:39   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This sort of thing has happened far too often, dunno how the club can expect to encourage more to come along.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 24-11-2015, 19:52   #5
Resting in Peace

The thing that worries me most is that it doesn't take more than a couple of days of almost standard winter rain for this to happen these days to us. I know it's a long time historical problem and I fear we could be getting into a horrible fixture pile up unless we get a dryer than normal Dec/Jan/Feb.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:29   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
This sort of thing has happened far too often, dunno how the club can expect to encourage more to come along.
In a simlar vein you have to feel for our friends atMorecambe after making a 3 quid a ticket offer they only attracted 1600 tonight and are currently 4-2 down, although Moly and Murphy have both scored. Time for two more?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 21:09   #7
Full Member+

With live free to air champions league on tv it is always going to be hard to pull in casual fans, especially as a socking could have come before or after.

The geology of the ground is always going to cause these problems, it is a cumulative effect with not much needed to bring the high water table into play, and clay having good water retaining properties. The problem with calling it off early is who is supposed to do it?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 07:11   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
With live free to air champions league on tv it is always going to be hard to pull in casual fans, especially as a socking could have come before or after.

The geology of the ground is always going to cause these problems, it is a cumulative effect with not much needed to bring the high water table into play, and clay having good water retaining properties. The problem with calling it off early is who is supposed to do it?
How do other clubs manage to do so?
Old 25-11-2015, 08:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
well said cashy its another one step forward and another backward. if someone had decided to give Stanley a go last night I doubt they will for a while. in the good old days pitches were checked by a local ref. earlier in the day but now we seem to have to wait for the match official to attend which is about 3 hours before ko. I don't live round the corner and a 50 mile round trip just to give the dog another walk just gets up my whatever you think. as I,ve said before if in doubt etc.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:39   #10
God Member

Don,t know the answer to this one in the last 2 or 3 close seasons the club have spent a lot of money on the pitch and when it,s dry it looks brilliant but when it rains it,s anybody,s guess to the game being on, and with more long wet spells being predicted we could end up with a backlog of fixtures not ideal if your pushing for promotion,do the club spend more on fancy pumping systems or fancy covers don,t know but other than that seems we are in the lap of the gods.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:36   #11
Senior Member+

Whilst disappointed that the game was called off, one wonders the wisdom of the referee in the game against Newport. I too had a 50 mile round trip and although not entirely unexpected, the decision was made on the grounds of safety and to be fair, even after the decision, the heavens opened again so correct decision in my book.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:42   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The decision was correct no doubt, the timing though once again was not in my book. its no good appealing for more to come then last min postponing imho.also with the history of our ground, i certainly would not set off if i was an away fan, not rocket science.
Old 25-11-2015, 10:57   #13
God Member

Quote:
The decision was correct no doubt, the timing though once again was not in my book. its no good appealing for more to come then last min postponing imho.also with the history of our ground, i certainly would not set off if i was an away fan, not rocket science.
Yes but Cashy every club has fans who never miss a game since they stopped using local ref,s to inspect early like I said your in the lap of the god,s not fair on true and faithful fans plus any potential new walkon,s.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 17:20   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Yes but Cashy every club has fans who never miss a game since they stopped using local ref,s to inspect early like I said your in the lap of the god,s not fair on true and faithful fans plus any potential new walkon,s.
Is it now against the rules to use locals? if so the club should be protesting vigorously, seeing its obvious we need to try every avenue to attract more fans.
Old 25-11-2015, 19:57   #15
Senior Member+

Not sure the condition of the pitch earlier in the day but if the club do tweet etc saying the game could be in doubt it puts off people coming but if the game goes ahead they lose the fans they've put off chancing it or do you not say anything and hope for the game to go ahead?

Either way it's not up to the club to call the game off!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..