Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2015, 21:49   #16

Re: Shrewsbury Town Game

for me, the shrews started the brighter got there deflected goal but we came into and we where on top when we scored and had gornell's chance. Second half we started well but the shrews pressed us back although i didn't think they looked scoring a winner till they did!

It's nice to have positives about Crooks and hopefully he gains confidence from his ok performance tonight and can become another Stanley legend.

A stanley star of a few years ago deserves a mention, bobby grant even though he scored two, he still came over and applauded the stanley fans at the end. You could see the affection he has for our club.
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2015, 22:06   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
Can't agree about Joycey,thought he had a bad game for him,surprised you've not mentioned Crooks he was my man of match,maybe your Ping hat had slipped over your eyes.........again.Went to sleep for their thrown in that led to the winning goal.
Even the thrown in was a fluke,it hit the concrete post and bounced into their lads hands !!
crooks played well but Joycy never stopped running and pressing and was decent in possession.
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 22:08   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

After the error in the first min, thought Crooks looked the part in a position more suited to him, well done young man.
Old 03-03-2015, 22:11   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Even the thrown in was a fluke,it hit the concrete post and bounced into their lads hands !!
crooks played well but Joycy never stopped running and pressing and was decent in possession.
There throw in should NOT have occured, twas a throw in to us in their half, that the blind get missed. yeh couldn't tell were you lot are sat.
Old 03-03-2015, 22:30   #20
Senior Member+

It would seem that my earlier assessment of young Master Windass was borne out again tonight !. His reading of the game was poor, he was 'back on his heels' and hence too late to be involved in the play on several occasions, he switches off and becomes immobile now and again, he is easily shunted off the ball, and he gives the ball away more than any other member of the team !. But he can run !.
However he is young and will hopefully develop some understanding of the game.
Matt Crooks did not have a good game. It is I think generally agreed that it is unlikely that he will prove effective as a striker, but has he the defensive know-how in his locker to play at fullback ?...
Rob Atkinson on the other hand stood out as joint MOM with Piero in my opinion using all of HIS defensive skills to nullify in the main the threat coming from Shrewsbury's right flank.
The midfield worked hard but had to contend with two talented young midfielders whose movement and distribution just about gave them control of the engine-room
A word for Scott who handled and kicked well under atrocious conditions and could not be held responsible for the goals !
Sorry to start off my post sounding like an old misery guts, I really do want the best for Josh and Matt and hope that given the right coaching and support they are able to fulfill their potential over the next couple of seasons.!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 22:34   #21
Full Member+

Which position was piero supposed to be playing? I did notice that we were at our most threatening going forward when he was at the front in his usual position. It was a game we should not have lost. It does seem too many of our players are not aware of the where abouts of their colleagues, It does seem we don't talk to each other. I do find a lot of our players don't look up before making the pass. I do worry about the Goalkeeprs distribution and speed at times. I can't understand why play seems to be kept to the far side of the field Across from the main stand. We need to play a wider game and pass the ball more crisply. For the record I am not a Coley lover or hater. Whilst I have no problem with playing a 3-5-2 system we need the right players to play that system for example, Naismith is not a full back neither is piero. But when we did click as a team we were a good match for a much bigger and more physical side. we had them on the back foot for long spells but we switched off at the last minute. I have said previously that we have the ingredients we just need to get the mixture right.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 22:37   #22
Full Member+

Bad luck for the free kick, good luck for the penalty, poor finish just before half time then bad marking for the Brookside goal.

Shrews shaded it, had to criticise players in that ice rain stuff, glad we had a roof.

Did the ball boy find the ball the Shrews keeper kicked out on 67ish mins? It didn't leave the ground if you need it pointing out.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 03-03-2015 at 22:47.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 22:52   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfire View Post
for me, the shrews started the brighter got there deflected goal but we came into and we where on top when we scored and had gornell's chance. Second half we started well but the shrews pressed us back although i didn't think they looked scoring a winner till they did!

It's nice to have positives about Crooks and hopefully he gains confidence from his ok performance tonight and can become another Stanley legend.

A stanley star of a few years ago deserves a mention, bobby grant even though he scored two, he still came over and applauded the stanley fans at the end. You could see the affection he has for our club.
If Bobby had that much affection for Stanley he wouldn't have celebrated his second so elaborately - in fact, his celebration galled me almost more than the fact they scored the winner so late
cashman and yonmon like this.

Last edited by AccyMad; 03-03-2015 at 22:53. Reason: sp.mistake
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:07   #24
Senior Member+

After watching J C's post match interview, and acting on his plea, I have taken my own personal Reality Check and realise , when viewing the bigger picture, just how easy it is even after all these years of watching The Reds to slip into the critical mode !.The gulf between last night's opponents, not only pointswise, but also in the size of infrastructure and
the finance available to buy the best, must have made the match a daunting enterprise for our team from the word go !. Which makes the manner with which they faced up to the task all the more praiseworthy.
So our mixture of youngsters and elder statesmen, and lads like Dino who played in spite of taking a bad knock a couple of days ago !. deserve all the plaudits we can muster as they strive once again to secure our League status !.
As for JC who, in spite of everything else, still manages to make some sort of purse out of a sows ear, and whose job must at times make him feel like a dying Zebra surrounded by a flock of hungry vultures, it is imperative that he sees understanding and patience flowing from the Stands ( Dav007 will love that bit !).
Roll on Saturday !.... Roll on The Reds !
MikeA, AccyMad, baldy and 3 others like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:17   #25
God Member

Agree, Yonmon.
Not many weeks ago, had someone had predicted that Stanley would emerge from 3 games against 3 top teams with 3 points, I might have thought them over-optimistic.
Oh and by the way, has anyone else noticed the beneficial effect that their Cup 'glory' has had on both Yeovil and Cambridge?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:43   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfire View Post
f
Thought he was lucky not get a red for his tantrums on Proccy.
cashman likes this.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:55   #27
Senior Member+

Just listened to coleys interview and it was an honest appraisal of were we are as a club.
Think most fans know and appreciate that and even if a player has a poor game,won't be harshly criticised as long as he gives everything on the pitch.
Back to the game,we are not a million miles from being a decent team as others have said.
Look how they celebrated the winner against little old Accrington!!!.
Thought Crooks showed what he's about and one towering defensive header confirmed what he has in his locker.
Just a tweak here and there and a bit of luck and we will be ok
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:23   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Thought he was lucky not get a red for his tantrums on Proccy.
Unfortunately that seems to be a side of his game that he hasn't grown out of
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:08   #29
Senior Member+

The most worrying thing from last night was from Coleys interview saying he hadn't been paid yet. Hopefully nothing too serious like 2009, I hope!
Old 04-03-2015, 15:11   #30
God Member

8 weeks during Dec -Jan without a home game! Little wonder money is tight.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..