Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2021, 13:49   #61
God Member

Re: Shrewsbury town thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you obviously mean the guy whose son suffered badly from a certain action taken?
We all know that Coleys players will run through a brick wall for him, but some ran through 2, or 3................
AccyMad and cashman like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2021, 15:19   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Is a 75-85% fit first team player better than a 100% second choice?
The answer to that is if you pick a player who is proven to be 75% fit you surely say you won't be playing the full 90 minutes, to me with McConville, Pritchard, Roberts, Cassidy, Sangare, all carrying some injury or suspension who would probably be in the 18 the others just make the bench to fit criteria such as Maguire, Scully they just don't seem to be considered.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:27   #63
God Member

Also it's a results business and Coley will want to hang in or around the playoff positions so maybe asking the players who he deems good enough and fit to hang on in there till the other lads are back fit he won't I wouldn't think unless no other option be throwing any of the younger lads in certainly not more than maybe one at a time, with a lot of games still to go I would like to see a fully fit Roberts given game time along with a fit fast Smyth would give us another dimension upfront.
Old 21-02-2021, 15:29   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

aye but to me it should NEVER be results at ANY cost.
Old 21-02-2021, 15:41   #65
Full Member+

I think that, for all teams not just us or our league that the lack of the crowd to roar them on for the last 15 minutes of a game is a factor. I have watched all the matches this season on iFollow and it has been noticable that several of the better teams that we have played haven't even started well and then after half time and they have had the manager giving them the rocket they show a renewed energy in the second half. I know there not alot that can be done except hope that we will be able to get back to the Wham for the start of next season.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:47   #66

Having McConville an Pritchard back will be a massive boost as the squad looked out on there feet yesterday particularly the midfield , butcher looked fatigued and carrying a knock an Adam Phillips hasn’t looked the player we all expected really his delivery from set plays and his passing has been well below par. Smyth picking up a knock isn’t ideal either We’re still
In a fairly good position heading into an important period of games but our home form has to improve if we have any aspirations of making the play offs.
StanleyJosh likes this.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 16:16   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
Having McConville an Pritchard back will be a massive boost as the squad looked out on there feet yesterday particularly the midfield , butcher looked fatigued and carrying a knock an Adam Phillips hasn’t looked the player we all expected really his delivery from set plays and his passing has been well below par. Smyth picking up a knock isn’t ideal either We’re still
In a fairly good position heading into an important period of games but our home form has to improve if we have any aspirations of making the play offs.
I think in the case of Phillips who has started the last 5 games he has blown hot and cold the Shrewsbury and Northampton games were poor team performance,s against Plymouth were we were great but lost he played his best game, agree about his set pieces though they are poor simple someone else take em. Agree also about home performances need to assert ourselves, but lack of crowd deterating pitch surface don't help, maybe different systems for home and away.
Old 21-02-2021, 16:16   #68
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
The answer to that is if you pick a player who is proven to be 75% fit you surely say you won't be playing the full 90 minutes, to me with McConville, Pritchard, Roberts, Cassidy, Sangare, all carrying some injury or suspension who would probably be in the 18 the others just make the bench to fit criteria such as Maguire, Scully they just don't seem to be considered.
It’s hard to ‘prove’ a player is 75% fit in that sense.

Agree about Hughes looking jaded, Butcher can’t seem to shake off his knock (although he wanted to continue and knows his body enough) and Bishop has been slightly behind the pace lately.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 17:41   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
It’s hard to ‘prove’ a player is 75% fit in that sense.

Agree about Hughes looking jaded, Butcher can’t seem to shake off his knock (although he wanted to continue and knows his body enough) and Bishop has been slightly behind the pace lately.
Yesterday with the conditions making it even harder for anyone who was remotely tired I thought that Baxter pulled a great save off and came off his line 2 or 3 times to stop a run on goal, defence not a worry coping quite well Hughes made one bad pass, midfield just weren't at it yesterday a better side would have really took advantage Phillips just kept running into players, Butcher looked leggy from the start as did Seamus although he scored a cracker even his biggest fans could see he was struggling yesterday and was the one who was beaten front post to the ball for their goal, Smyth tweaked his hamstring reducing our threat up front, Charles always looks sharp and willing but defenders doubled up on him and forced him wide a lot as for Bishop doesn't seem to relish the system to me without the overlapping wingbacks gets dragged out wide to often and was generally ineffective.
cashman likes this.
Old 22-02-2021, 07:11   #70

I know we changed the system against Northampton to counter the threat of the high balls into the box but I don't think we've looked anything like as threatening going forwards without the wingbacks. I hoped we might have changed the system back against Donny last week which might also have given the chance to give one or two a rest but it didn'y happen and we won so we're probably stuck with the 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 for a bit longer. I think JC is a genius and can't really believe that we're in this position in the league but do think we've drifted away from our best formation.
cashman, andyd and monkey hanger like this.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:51   #71
God Member

season after season with different players in all the sides just why is it stanley struggle against teams like northampton and shrewsbury at home. know one will ever know but i imagine if we had played a top 6 side there would have been a far better performance on saturday. seen some dire games with these two at the wham over the years and a point against either of em always feels like a point gained rather than 2 lost. just never know why stanley consistantly make a struggling side look better than they are.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:15   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
season after season with different players in all the sides just why is it stanley struggle against teams like northampton and shrewsbury at home. know one will ever know but i imagine if we had played a top 6 side there would have been a far better performance on saturday. seen some dire games with these two at the wham over the years and a point against either of em always feels like a point gained rather than 2 lost. just never know why stanley consistantly make a struggling side look better than they are.
i think its because those sides play crap football, crewe on other hand are not a top side but to me always try to play decent football? think we will play much better against a side like that? but sat i thought conditions were atrocious which suited them much more that us.?
Old 22-02-2021, 10:25   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
Couple of reasons I believe, at this stage of the season, teams at the bottom are fighting for their lives - just look at every other league

Also, they are - in general - poor teams and we do not have a plan B

Shrews were better than us on Saturday, but Cobblers were just poor.........

No doubt there are other factors too

AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.

Old 22-02-2021, 10:26   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think its because those sides play crap football, crewe on other hand are not a top side but to me always try to play decent football? think we will play much better against a side like that? but sat i thought conditions were atrocious which suited them much more that us.?
Cashy - unfortunately - you are right about The Alex playing good footy, just not tomorrow hopefully

Old 22-02-2021, 10:54   #75
Senior Member+

IMHO Shrewsbury are better team currently than they were earlier in the season. In their last ten league matches before playing us their form has been really good..........
P10, ..... W7, D1, L2.
Which, dare I suggest, is top six form.
They outplayed our midfield and therefore controlled most of the match, thus reducing the amount of quality supply to our forwards. Luckily our defence and goal keeper played well and the one real error we made at the back allowed them to score, when two of our defenders got in each other’s way from a corner!
IMHO, in the end a draw was a good result for us.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..