Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 14:50   #16
Member.

Re: Sign of the times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I feel sorry for anyone currently losing their job, here or anywhere else, and particularly if they are Stanley loyalists. I don't know who has gone or is going but you have to start with those who aren't paying their way. Mick was running the Gold Bond last I knew, so maybe that isn't doing as well as it could or should?

I haven't been to the club for a long time now so have no idea who works there, or how many, but for me these cuts were inevitable and I'm surprised it has taken so long. There was nothing last year to capitalise on the good year that we had or Ilyas taking over the club. April/May should have been huge for the club in terms of getting the message out, yet all we got was silence backed up by 70% season ticket hikes.

Six months have passed yet still there is no movement on the share issue (or have I missed it?) and we have seemingly no sign of a ground sponsor. There does appear to have been some signs of forward thinking, I like the sounds of the sponsor a school deal with the council, but there really isn't anything coming out of the club yet.

As times get harder week by week, then so people will further cut their cloth accordingly and the club will struggle even more to quarter fill the ground. Stanley, and it's community hub vision, need to be right at the forefront of trying to provide a source of family entertainment that is affordable to all.

Little clubs like ours should be fighting every inch for investment, funding and the souls of men. The guy in the street will feel the harshness of cuts far harder than the more well heeled. If the club continues to fail to attract the working man through the gates and using the ground to its full potential there will be harsher times ahead. Dumping people is not always the answer; putting them to better use could be far more productive if you can get the best out of their experiance and passion. Kill off the passion and you'll kill the club.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2011, 14:56   #17
Senior Member+

Some of you need a reality check - excluding the abandoned Tranmere game, the club are getting an average of 1545 people through the turnstiles for every home game this season. And that is only because the club got nearly 2500 for the Bradford game. If cuts are not made, then all this hullabaloo to save the club from extinction just a couple of short years ago will have been for nothing. Even our saviour IK cannot conjure up miracles or keep pumping his brass and hard earned into the club. He is not Jack Walker or Roman Abramovich. Ilyas saved the club by paying off the debts, what's the point in then rebuilding the debt? We may not like it, but it is a sign of the times and it is hurting everyone, young and old alike, in business and the man on the street. Why should Accrington Stanley be any different. Yes there is passionate support and yes I am sure people try and urge others to attend matches and yes maybe the £2 entrance fee for tomorrow night might get a few extras in (assuming it is not called off due to weather problems), but it is these extras we need to keep.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:12   #18
Junior Member+

Can't have a game without a safety officer though...
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie View Post
How long have we been without a safety officer ?
Old 11-10-2011, 15:29   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post
How long have we been without a safety officer ?
in a word - never - If Mick's off for any reason then another steward fills in for him - e.g. Casey or Alan

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
in a word - never - If Mick's off for any reason then another steward fills in for him - e.g. Casey or Alan
Woooosh

Old 11-10-2011, 16:25   #22
Junior Member+

Not true, another steward cannot fill in for the safety officer ... legally
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie View Post
Has the safety officer been made redundant ?.
If not what are you on about ??.
Old 11-10-2011, 17:27   #24
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Cant believe who has been let go at the club unbelievable
Quote:
posted by JEFF I have been told, but it is not definate, that Mark Turner has gone and Mick Shultz has been offered less hours.

I have been told, but it is not definate, that Mark Turner has gone and Mick Shultz has been offered less hours.
Quote:
posted by carrie Can't have a game without a safety officer though...
need i go on
Old 11-10-2011, 18:10   #25

The point is Mark, Jeff says it is "not definate",
Can you not be a safety officer (not you personally) on reduced hours ?? (if this true).
Perhaps if people stopped being so cryptic and say what they mean,
others would not try to fill in the gaps.
Old 11-10-2011, 18:15   #26
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth on the situation...........

I agree with Outback Ozzy on this issue.

AS ilyas has stated many a time, at current staffing levels the club loses annually £200k a year!!! We simply cannot sustain that over a long period, and if I was ilyas I would be tired of constantly footing the bills, lucky we have such a magnificent man at the helm.

Maybe some people want us to go back to the Whalley days of overspending and getting ourselves an hour from extinction........ AGAIN!!!

Yes its horrible when people get laid off or hours cut, it happened to me 2 years ago, but there is nothing we can do about it, apart from roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

As for generating income, how many times do people want to hear the same story?!?

We need crowds of 2500+ every home game to be on a sound financial footing and we simply are not getting it??? Doesnt help with the price of entering our magnificent stadium does it??! :S

IF we where for example to move, or at least totally re-develop the ground and improve facilities then we give ourselves at a least a chance of improving ourselves.

Like with anything, it takes money to make money im afraid.

One member of staff I believe should be immune is Lewis, who for what he has to work with (in terms of the shop) is doing a magnificent job. Merchandise and ticketing surely is a huge percentage of the clubs income, and to cut his hours is ridiculous IMO.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:38   #27
God Member

Really sad stuff but unavoidable. Blame the previous regime's mismanagement, blame the apathy of the town, blame the commercial department's failures to reverse said apathy... just don't blame Ilyas. He's the only reason we still have a club and is the one trying to make sure we have a club in the future.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:49   #28
Senior Member+

Agreed 100% Shaker.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:36   #29

One thing we can all do, and I keep trying. Ask your friends, work colleagues, aquaintances, family members, cousins, nearest and dearest to come along to a game. Tomorrow is an ideal opportunity.

If they say no, don't give up keep asking and asking and asking.

We can all do this, its like cold calling, but eventually someone will say yes, and they might well might come again. you get lot's of knock backs but someone will say yes.

I got someone along to the Crewe game. A bit unfortunate it was the Crewe game, but then they have been since. So a success.

Every game, every supporter should be asking someone to come to the next game.

Up the Stanley!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00   #30

"you get lot's of knock backs but someone will say yes"

Sounds like my love-life !!!!!!
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..