Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2019, 08:59   #46
God Member

Re: Sky Blues Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
So why did we go to Coventry 17/18 and play them of the park won 2 nill....
Because Stanley’s best team last season was stronger than this year, and, as noted by ASFC1019, the reverse may well be the case at Coventry.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Because Stanley’s best team last season was stronger than this year, and, as noted by ASFC1019, the reverse may well be the case at Coventry.
Not too sure oer that, Coventry were better than us, but certainly nowt special in my view?
Old 04-03-2019, 10:17   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not too sure oer that, Coventry were better than us, but certainly nowt special in my view?
I totally agree Cashy however with how football is, we could have played the exact same team as last season (I know not possible) and so could they but yet have a different result. Thats just how football works.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:32   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The most disheartening way to lose is when you make the other team look better than they actually were. When Barnsley beat us 2-0, I thought we played well, but they were better than us on the day and deserved the 3 points.

Coventry was a different story. I think we had conceded defeat after Sean's first 3 passes found a Coventry player. Sloppy giving them the goal, but we could of played long into the evening and never of scored!

Trusting Coley to rally the players and come out all guns blazing Tuesday night. I have a feeling if they do, it could easily be a 3 or 4 nil to us
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1019 View Post
I totally agree Cashy however with how football is, we could have played the exact same team as last season (I know not possible) and so could they but yet have a different result. Thats just how football works.
What i cant weigh up is we were very good i thought against Sunderland up yon, yet 3 home games directly after we have been poor,makes no sense at all to me. ok we got 4 pts from em but still poor.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39   #51

In away games there is often a bit more space to exploit if the home team is pushing on. Smyth used this to good effect at Sunderland. Home games tend to find our attacking play more compressed reducing the opportunities to use this tactic.

We have struggled to create chances all season. Very little seems to come from central midfield. I thought Barlaser was the answer but am becoming increasingly underwhelmed.
He's got ability on the ball but seems to really struggle to impose himself on games. While little comes from him in an attacking sense both him and Finley and him seem easily outmuscled and bypassed defensively at this level.

Anyone know how Piero's doing at Morecombe? It strikes me we could be doing with him as a creative option right now.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:46   #52

Conneely is no leader in my eyes anyway not strong enough.Hughes all day
Old 04-03-2019, 13:24   #53
God Member

think reading all this certainly made my decision to miss saturday the best decision i have made for a while.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:22   #54
Senior Member+

All about opinions.
My view so feel free to disagree without personal insults.
Tactically we play a certain way week in week out.
We've got found out.
In many respects the personnel become irrelevant its the system we employ.
We changed it for Derby home and Gillingham away.
OK we lost to Derby and only drew at Gillingham but we looked solid.
I think we should have stuck with it but resorted to type.
Not many sides play 4 4 2 these days.
We have to have a midfielder in there who can sit in front of the back three or four and defend when called upon.
Barlaser cant do it. Finlay can't do it.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:32   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

My opinion best midfielder for a few years was Matty Crooks.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:37   #56

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with what you are saying 28.we need 3 points tommorow as I can't see us getting anything from Barnsley.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:40   #57

Crooks and Conneely complemented each other so well.

Is Conneely actually match fit at the minute?
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 16:00   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
All about opinions.
My view so feel free to disagree without personal insults.
Tactically we play a certain way week in week out.
We've got found out.
In many respects the personnel become irrelevant its the system we employ.
We changed it for Derby home and Gillingham away.
OK we lost to Derby and only drew at Gillingham but we looked solid.
I think we should have stuck with it but resorted to type.
Not many sides play 4 4 2 these days.
We have to have a midfielder in there who can sit in front of the back three or four and defend when called upon.
Barlaser cant do it. Finlay can't do it.
We quite often this season played only one striker?
As for 5 at the back, it made us look solid but extremely unlikely to score (and yes I know we didn’t look like scoring this Saturday neither). Particularly at Gillingham away where if we were still playing now probably wouldn’t have scored.
ASFC1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 18:19   #59
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1019 View Post
We quite often this season played only one striker?
As for 5 at the back, it made us look solid but extremely unlikely to score (and yes I know we didn’t look like scoring this Saturday neither). Particularly at Gillingham away where if we were still playing now probably wouldn’t have scored.
If we get it right in the middle, rarely will we need to play 5 at the back ever again.
Lately I’ve noticed our tempo is a lot slower. We seem to be scared of playing a pass out wide or a through ball , taking time to assess the situation, before playing the same ball we’ve spent too long thinking about, thus becoming ineffective and losing the opportunity.
Same with goal kicks. One thing I loved when Chappy was with us is how quickly he played the ball out from the back, and it really worked well last season. This season, teams are pressing us much higher from our goal kicks, but leaving so much space down the middle that our midfielders just aren’t using.
Also, when we do get the ball out wide, we aren’t giving Sean/Clicker any options in the box. I personally think Billy has been playing some of his best football by dropping deeper, but our midfielders/2nd striker just aren’t overloading the box or giving options on the edge of the area for them to pull it back too.

Feels like we are just missing that one piece of the jigsaw in the middle
ferret man likes this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 19:29   #60
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Fortunately, most of us who buy our season tickets don't base whether we get one for next season on just one game . . . . . . .
I'm talking about trying to sell one to someone watching their first game.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..