Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 15:17   #31

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Get all of them out, well at least the ones that are still here.
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 15:27   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh am aware of that jeff, but the football ban was fer life, later reduced i think. can't remember the club being penalised?
No I can't remember the club being penalised either.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:30   #33
Senior Member+

Surely the club must take some immediate action. I would have thought that the players named should be suspended by the club until the outcome is known. That would happen in any other walk of life where a serious allegation is made.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:36   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Surely the club must take some immediate action. I would have thought that the players named should be suspended by the club until the outcome is known. That would happen in any other walk of life where a serious allegation is made.
I disagree. Innocent until proven guilty is the best way to go. The club has to support the players until a verdict is made.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:42   #35
Super Moderator

What is or isn't going to happen to the players is way down on my list of priorities at the moment...far more concerned about the possible consequences for the club.
Old 07-04-2009, 15:43   #36
Senior Member+

Suspension involves no guilt or innocence - it is not a punishment. It is avoiding embarrassment to all concerned.

In this case, the fans (home and away) and other players will be suspicious of those involved. Stanley fans will wonder how many times Cavanagh, for example, has been involved in betting against his own team - and they may reflect on events such as own goals that we can recall. It would be far better to suspend those invloved and keep them away from any potential embarrassment.

As I said, that would happen in any other profession. It does NOT assume guilt.
Old 07-04-2009, 15:44   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I disagree. Innocent until proven guilty is the best way to go. The club has to support the players until a verdict is made.
In any other profession - cops, medicine, teaching - then once accusations like this are made, then suspension follows, pending the outcome of investigation and enquiry. I can't see any difference here. They won't be playing in the next few weeks.

Ahhh.......same thinking

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-04-2009 at 15:46. Reason: similar post
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:46   #38
God Member

Suspension is most definitely a punishment for the players. Needless to say, it also puts the club in a more difficult position on the pitch.

The difference with similar everyday circumstances is that it's a football club, not the real world.
Old 07-04-2009, 15:59   #39
Senior Member+

talksport 1089MW they have a phone in on the betting scandal

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:02   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Suspension is most definitely a punishment for the players.
As Tealeaf says, it is the same in other professions. Would you want your child to be taught by a teacher against whom an allegation has been made, rightly or wrongly? Would you want to be treated by a doctor who has been accused of negligence, rightly or wrongly? If and when any allegations against the teacher or doctor are proved to be unfounded, that is the end of the problem.

Quote:
Needless to say, it also puts the club in a more difficult position on the pitch.
Potentially, indeed it does. We have to live with that. We have to do what is right, not what is expedient.

Quote:
The difference with similar everyday circumstances is that it's a football club, not the real world.
This is very much the real world. It's the world of law, order and justice. Wynonie has a specific worry about the club - and quite right, too. If the players are found guilty and the club is punished, we'll see whether or not it's the real world.
Old 07-04-2009, 16:08   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red
I would normally agree with you on this but haven't the club set a precedent by not suspending Dunsavin and Grant when they were accused of nightclub thuggery? You can't really have one law for one and one law for another.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:14   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
As Tealeaf says, it is the same in other professions. Would you want your child to be taught by a teacher against whom an allegation has been made, rightly or wrongly? Would you want to be treated by a doctor who has been accused of negligence, rightly or wrongly? If and when any allegations against the teacher or doctor are proved to be unfounded, that is the end of the problem.
The analogies don't work.
How do the allegations affect you, or indeed any other fan? Apprehension, anxiety over what's to come? What's new?!
Rumour, suspicion from other teams' fans? That's going to happen anyway, with any of our players now the story is out.
The club's name dragged through the mud? Already happening!
Old 07-04-2009, 16:15   #43

They should be suspended with immediate effect. It would be in their own interest. There is no guilt attached. Disrepute springs to mind, not only the players but more so the Club. We are already the laughing stock, but I dread to think what we will become especially if we continue to play these two.It just shows what these players think of Accrington Stanley, no respect. How many more are involved? But keeping their heads down, maybe we will never know but people will always wonder,and speculate.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:18   #44
Give, give, give member

The item was just mentioned on the national BBC radio news.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:23   #45
Junior Member+

How can anyone who never played in the game be accused of influencing the outcome??

I haven't read the relevant rules that there meant to have broken but surely if they looked at our squad, looked at there's and thought we were going to lose and were not involved in the game, couldn't they have bet just like you or I would do??
petegibbons is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..