Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42   #631
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

sentiment appears to cloud commonsense in some cases.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:19   #632
God Member

Jeff, regarding the bet on the Dagenham game, I know he shouldn't have done it and it was stupid but it was a bet for us to win which somehow doesn't matter so much to me as at least, although what he did was against the rules, he hasn't bet against his own club as the others did.
The Dagenham bet isn't mentioned in the FA statement, it just says he's been banned for the Bury one.
And yes Cashman, maybe sentimentality is clouding my judgement but that's the way I feel about the situation and I'm not going to apologise for it.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33   #633
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Jeff, regarding the bet on the Dagenham game, I know he shouldn't have done it and it was stupid but it was a bet for us to win which somehow doesn't matter so much to me as at least, although what he did was against the rules, he hasn't bet against his own club as the others did.
YES IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES and if you break the rules then you get punished. You say it doesn't matter so much to you, well it bloody well should do.

Quote:
The Dagenham bet isn't mentioned in the FA statement, it just says he's been banned for the Bury one.
Regulatory Commission Chairman Nicholas Stewart QC made the following statement:
These were repeated deliberate breaches of The Football Association’s betting rules which are vital to maintain confidence in the integrity of the game. These are serious offences by a Club Captain and therefore must be punished by a substantial period of suspension of eight months together with a fine of £3,500.”
It doesn't say he has been banned for the Bury one it says 'These are serious offences' which mean there was more than one offence.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 13:42   #634
God Member

Oh get off your flippin' high horse, I said it doesn't matter to me so much as a bet against the club would have done, not that it didn't matter to me at all - and anyway surely I decide what matters to me personally - not you or anyone else.
'These offences' could mean that as it was an accumalator bet, it meant that whoever placed it was betting on a few games at once - hence using the plural terminology.
Old 11-08-2009, 13:53   #635
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
'These offences' could mean that as it was an accumalator bet, it meant that whoever placed it was betting on a few games at once - hence using the plural terminology.
sorry to be pedantic Accymad but n accumaltor,like a yankee, treble, double, etc is classed as a single bet, with more than 1 item in it, keep searching................ The Truth Is Out There.
Old 11-08-2009, 14:53   #636
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I wonder if the Ultras spent Sunday huddled in a corner of a pub somewhere and penned a song for Cav along the same lines of the Williams song, loved it. He's guilty as charged for more than one offence and should take his punishment, the club should not be publicly backing him and personally I hope we never see him again.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 15:56   #637
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I wonder if the Ultras spent Sunday huddled in a corner of a pub somewhere and penned a song for Cav along the same lines of the Williams song, loved it. He's guilty as charged for more than one offence and should take his punishment, the club should not be publicly backing him and personally I hope we never see him again.
I agree 100%
Old 11-08-2009, 16:01   #638
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Oh get off your flippin' high horse, I said it doesn't matter to me so much as a bet against the club would have done, not that it didn't matter to me at all - and anyway surely I decide what matters to me personally - not you or anyone else.
Why are you trying to justify what Cav has done? It's about time you believed that Cav is guilty, Cav is banned and, hopefully, we will not see Cav again.
You should have gone to FA Headquarters with Cav and defended him using some 'plural terminology'.
Old 11-08-2009, 16:29   #639
God Member

Please do not try and tell me what I should or should not believe? Like it or not Jeff, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I, like yourself, am quite within my rights to state mine. I do not expect everyone (or even anyone) to necessarily agree with those opinions but I will stick by them if it's all the same to you.
Maybe I did go to FA headquarters with a big banner - who's to know
Old 11-08-2009, 16:36   #640
Resting in Peace

Jeff for manager!
The players would know exactly where they stand with him in charge. Cuts out the crap and goes straight to the point every time.
I'd give him tons of karma if I knew how
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 18:18   #641
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Hear, Hear. Can't say I reckon much of the new captain though.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 22:31   #642
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Hear, Hear. Can't say I reckon much of the new captain though.
I agree I don't think Proctor is strong enough or to be honest good enough to be captain but what do I know.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53   #643
Full Member+

Agree with baggy should be Phil or Miles for me....although Proccy has the heart and has been with the club for a long time I'm not sure he has the authority (or ability) to inspire the team.....then again I'm not convinced that Cav had that either
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45   #644
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I agree I don't think Proctor is strong enough or to be honest good enough to be captain but what do I know.
I agree. For me should have been Phil Edwards or even Darran Kempson.
Unfortunately we have got Proccy and his name will be the first on the team sheet.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:56   #645
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I agree. For me should have been Phil Edwards or even Darran Kempson.
Unfortunately we have got Proccy and his name will be the first on the team sheet.

Disagee. Some people may see the Procter - Miles combination as a surprising choice but after the last few months the club needs stability so maybe its the 'safe'option. Whether Procter has the authority remains to be seen but I think he can be a good captain. Whilst his play don't set the world alight, he's well established at the club, keen and intelligent. Having said that I hope someone else takes the pens. I'm a great admirer of Edwards play but he doesn't seem to be a great 'talker' on the pitch whilst Kempson has only just returned and may need to 'find his feet' at the club (useful if you're a footballer!) . As for being first on the team sheet we are always told that Mullers has that privilage, aren't we?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..