Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 19:42   #16

Re: Smithy not sure whether to stay or go

As you might know lads/lasses, being down south doesn't get me seeing many games and I only get 'home' for one game a season. So I've not seen that much of Johnathan - but I've never seen him play badly in the handful of games I've watched him. He's young and intelligent - what should he do ? Well, he could drop to Conf.north to get an almost guarateed regular 1st team spot with a pt. time outfit - but his chances of progression from this backwater are retarded quite severely. By staying with Stanley and using his brain to soak up some 'savvy' from the experienced pro's, I feel sure he'll become within a season or two a central defender that nobody can dislodge from a first team place and will attract scouts from a higher league. If you're serious about your football, Johnathan, knuckle down with Stanley, it's your best spingboard to success.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2004, 00:17   #17
Senior Member+

Take your points Longlostson, but Jonathan is 28, and although every time he wears a Stanley shirt we get 100% plus, for some reason his face doesn't seem to fit with the management.

He's played on with a fractured cheekbone, broken nose and concussion; and then turned up at Whitby the next day to watch the team, I don't think he gets a fair deal these days.

He's as capable as any of the other central defenders (and we need four), and adds a lot with his heading and passion. If he decides to go good luck to him, but I feel the decision is more Coley's than Jonathan's, keep the faith Coley and keep Jonathan.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:57   #18

Stay at home Smithy

http://www.freewebs.com/luke429
Dudes this is my website
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:57   #19

Please stay smithy
As most of yoyu have probably noticed i have critised smithy in the past. But from the last few games I think you have turned it around the loan trip to barrow has done u the world of good. But please let that be the only time you where that shirt.

PRIDE AND PASSION CONQUER ALL

(INCLUDING THE SCOUCE BRIGADE)
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:59   #20

If Jonathan is forced to leave by mis-management I hope there's an outcry from the fans. John Coleman may well be right 98% of the time but he's b----- wrong on this one!
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:20   #21
God Member

qualtrough... I dont get it.. Reg who has been here 5 yrs gets released by the club and your OK... Smith who has NOT been released by the club and is being played albiet as sub.. and your telling him he should leave us because he is being treated bad... .

Sorry I just don't understand why your knocking Coley ?

Coley and Bell get my vote 100%
Old 03-10-2004, 18:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough
If Jonathan is forced to leave by mis-management I hope there's an outcry from the fans. John Coleman may well be right 98% of the time but he's b----- wrong on this one!
I for one will definately have something to say if that is the case. Sure coley cannot pick every player for every game but surely smithy has now shown that he is good enough.
I have also always believed in smithy although many have branded him as being "not good enough for conference football", his recent games have proved those people wrong.
Please don't go smithy!
Footiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 20:01   #23

Hi Kipax. I actually contributed to the thread re Steve Hollis' departure in what I thought was a very positive way and thanking him wholeheartedly for his contribution to the club over so long a period. You cannot, however, liken his situation to that of Smithy. It was clear from the start of the season that Steve wasn't figuring in the manager's thoughts as a first choice player. Jonathan, whilst not first choice in managements eyes, was still clearly in the frame to play though obviously below R.Williams. And, yes, with a heavy heart, I am of the opinion he will have to leave to further his career. I may be and hope I'm wrong but how many kicks in the teeth must the lad take before he receives a fair crack of the whip?
Old 03-10-2004, 20:12   #24
God Member

Quote:
how many kicks in the teeth must the lad take before he receives a fair crack of the whip
Lots of players not getting starts.. are they being kicked in the teeth and should they all be encouraged to leave?

Spoke to him on sat.. seemed happy enough
Old 03-10-2004, 20:38   #25
Senior Member+

Do you think when the piches get heavy and its pi**ing down we will have cup games, league, ldv etc we will need all the players we can get and I'm sure Coley is thinking of the squad system so even if anyones on the fringe they will get some playing time which has got to be better then playing for some piddling dead end team like Barrow.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 20:59   #26

I've never urged or encouraged Smithy to leave may I say. Just stated that he might have to due to his treatment by management. He is getting kicked in the teeth because he is better than players chosen before him in his position. I and others on the messageboard believe that to be true and I'm certain Jonathan does as well. You can argue this that and the other but every fair-minded person on here knows Smithy ain't been treated fairly.
Old 03-10-2004, 21:06   #27
God Member

Quote:
I've never urged or encouraged Smithy to leave may I say..
Really... well furthur up this thread you say

Quote:
Therefore I say, with the heaviest of hearts, pursue your career elsewhere Smithy. I predict you will be playing League football before very long as your talent merits. Some have recently been seeing the light here but, unfortunately, they are not the ones that really count. Go where you will be fully appreciated by all the fans and management alike. My personal very best wishes and thanks for everything you have done for this club which, ultimately, rather let you down.
Not only are you telling him to go.. your even saying your goodbyes and wishing him well elsewhere... In other threads your knocking Coley and the management and in this thread your telling him to go... Hence my point... Smith is an accy player.. coley hasnt put him on the list and all your going by is some newspaper article saying he is thinking of leaving.. Well there is some truth in that.... but it doesn't mean the club are kicking him in the teeth. So I wondered why just smith.. other players are being treated the same.. some dont get as many games as smith... some have been let go... and you say nothing..

Coley and Bell are doing a good job.. they know what they are doing.. thats not a rose tinted view either... So why all the coley knocking and telling smith he is being kicked in the teeth and should leave ??
Old 04-10-2004, 13:31   #28

I stick with my words you quote and I find your argument somewhat illogical. As I am tired of going round in circles over the matter with you we'll just have to agree to disagree. Another thread suggests Smithy and Flitcroft might be on their way elsewhere by now anyway. Hope all the non-believers in his ability to play Conference football are happy now! That's my last words on the subject.
Old 04-10-2004, 14:05   #29
Senior Member+

The thread you refer to Qualtrough is one that was started when Smithy and Flitcroft went to Barrow on loan earlier in the season. Its passed its sell by date now.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..