Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2015, 18:00   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Sounds a familiar tale - not unusual for Cooky to have one eye on his next move whilst seeming to be still interested in the club who's paying his wages
Which makes the nickname "Snake" very apt. Mind yeh it could well apply to certain members of our board also.
Old 12-05-2015, 18:23   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
.....so looks like there must have been earlier contacts between him and the club, bit distracting when you might expect he'd have been focused on Chesterfield's playoff efforts ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Sounds a familiar tale - not unusual for Cooky to have one eye on his next move whilst seeming to be still interested in the club who's paying his wages
Familiar indeed. I'll never forget that match at Oxford when, having played crap against Torquay, Stanley were even worse, and rightly got humiliated by Oxford. What sticks in the mind was that we sat behind a group of giggling scousers, some in youth squad gear, who seemed to find the whole business hilarious. Turned out they were related to the then manager. Next day Cook b#**#*# off to Chesterfield.
But Pompey fans are not daft. If they aren't top by Xmess, they'll be wanting to know why.
smudgie likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:44   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Local radio down here has Pompey chairman saying Cook will be able to bring in the people he wants .... Leam was mentioned but nothing definite.

Also apparently Cook already knows which players he wants to keep, so looks like there must have been earlier contacts between him and the club, bit distracting when you might expect he'd have been focused on Chesterfield's playoff efforts ......

Chesterfield turned down Portsmouth approach in April, I really don't think anyone beleives that nobody has spoken to anybody in that time
Old 13-05-2015, 08:01   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Chesterfield turned down Portsmouth approach in April, I really don't think anyone beleives that nobody has spoken to anybody in that time
Oh i dont know dave, they may have just waved £50 notes under his nose.
Old 15-05-2015, 07:28   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Familiar indeed. I'll never forget that match at Oxford when, having played crap against Torquay, Stanley were even worse, and rightly got humiliated by Oxford. What sticks in the mind was that we sat behind a group of giggling scousers, some in youth squad gear, who seemed to find the whole business hilarious. Turned out they were related to the then manager. Next day Cook b#**#*# off to Chesterfield.
But Pompey fans are not daft. If they aren't top by Xmess, they'll be wanting to know why.

I won't forget that trip to Oxford in a hurry. Quite simply the worst Stanley performance I've ever seen. We should have lost 10-0 that day, but if my memory is correct it was during Mr Dunbavin's golden spell.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:01   #21

Yoohoo .... spireite here

Cook applied for the Birmingham job earlier in the season, he's been trying to get out for at least a year. Board were wanting rid because of off field stuff. Suspect deal for Saunders as our new manager felt out on 2nd Feb when spoke at a dinner at our ground. Next day Cook signs new deal with a buyout clause. Coincidence ? When Portsmouth were 'refused permission' the deal was already practically done.

Not sorry to have had him here, it's been a great 2 years, but bad taste left by the last few weeks.
cashman likes this.
LuSiVeCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:12   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Understand yeh , he has got talent, but fer me a total "Mercenary" plus a snake to boot.
Old 16-05-2015, 08:09   #23
Senior Member+

Just a question, If Paul Cook is a "Mercenary" doesn't that make Leam one too?

Quite a few Chesterfield fans wanted Leam to take over Cooky but "They must have just waved £50 notes under his nose" too
Old 16-05-2015, 09:18   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Just a question, If Paul Cook is a "Mercenary" doesn't that make Leam one too?

Quite a few Chesterfield fans wanted Leam to take over Cooky but "They must have just waved £50 notes under his nose" too
Obviously, but at least he stayed wi us until end of season, I can see the difference, do yeh want to borrow me specs baldy?
Old 16-05-2015, 13:44   #25
Senior Member+

So Cooky should have said when a bigger club come knocking "Hang on until summer and il come then!"?

People need to realise that it's just a job for most managers and players, The only loyal people are the fans at any football club!
Old 16-05-2015, 14:58   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
So Cooky should have said when a bigger club come knocking "Hang on until summer and il come then!"?

People need to realise that it's just a job for most managers and players, The only loyal people are the fans at any football club!
Snake was only here half a season, after being brought from Sligo to think he would at least stay 1 season is unreasonable? some people need to realise that, i have sod all against people betting themselves, but that is pathetic, still if you agree wi it.
Old 22-05-2015, 15:51   #27
God Member

Leam joining the snake at Portsmouth offical.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..