Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2005, 19:13   #1

So, Terry Fearns...

...has been subject of a bid from a 'rival' Conference club.

Rumour has it that Stanley are in for the player, who has a proven non-league scoring record. The John Coleman of the modern era if you like.

Having seen Fearns play and having a mate who follows Southport everywhere, I have an open mind about this one.

He would certainly ease the burden currently resting heavily and unfairly on Paul Mullin.

Discuss
Old 22-08-2005, 19:45   #2
Senior Member+

Re: So, Terry Fearns...

Fearns scored a lot of goals last season, but this season I've heard that he's overweight and not up to match fitness. He sounds a bit like a Jody Banim.
Old 23-08-2005, 12:04   #3
Junior Member+

I believe it was an informal enquiry with no bid having been made by any club.

I'd be surprised if many conference clubs could afford what we are likely to want for a player we still regard as having a part to play for us.
mellowyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 12:11   #4
God Member

we could but it would have to be for an undisclosed fee

hehehehe
Old 23-08-2005, 12:20   #5
Senior Member+

Good signing IMO if its true and we have made a bid
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 12:46   #6
Resting In Peace

Mark Wright is set to raid former club Southport in dramatic fashion and snatch record-breaking striker Terry Fearns out of the non-league ranks, according to reports on Sunday.

League Two side Peterborough are allegedly preparing a £25,000 bid to lure Fearns away from Haig Avenue, where he has two seasons remaining on his contract.

It is the news that the Southport faithful have been dreading, but is an unfortunate consequence of outstanding success in the lower reaches of the game.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 14:32   #7
Senior Member+

oh oh there in trouble someone came along and burst their bubble!!!!!!
Old 23-08-2005, 17:58   #8

Question Re: So, Terry Fearns...

Ask yourselves this.

Why has no other Conf club come in for the guy even whilst at Vauxhall? It surely can't have been for contractual rerasons. When available last season No Conf club went in for the guy...in spite of a great goalscorong record.

Could it be that his work rate and skill factor doesn't match Conf criteria?
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 18:30   #9

Could it be that his work rate and skill factor doesn't match Conf criteria?[/QUOTE]

You might just have something there, mate
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 21:47   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christies Child
Ask yourselves this.

Why has no other Conf club come in for the guy even whilst at Vauxhall? It surely can't have been for contractual rerasons. When available last season No Conf club went in for the guy...in spite of a great goalscorong record.

Actually conference and league clubs did go in for him. Our offer was more attractive in terms of the money he'd be earning and being the nearest to his home.

Hull dithered on offering him terms and actually rang up vauxhall with a contract offer a couple of weeks after we'd signed him!

I've no idea whether he'll be a success at conference level but given the players we've signed over the last couple of years that are finding the conference to their liking, you could ask the same question about them.

Why did Mr Harvey not sign Kevin Leadbetter, Carl baker, Neil robinson, Steve Daly etc?

It could be that Liam has his finger on the pulse more than some of the other more established bosses in the north west who prefer to sign tired old crocks?
Old 23-08-2005, 22:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christies Child
Ask yourselves this.

This is exactly why I have an open mind about him
Old 24-08-2005, 08:43   #12

Mellow,

It's interesting to read that Layne has returned to Southport after trips to both MFC and Leigh.
Wonder how long it will be before he's on the road again.

Managers make signings in the hope NOT expectation that those players will make the grade. In reality very few do. We've all had a number of 'turkeys' thru' our respective books over the years. No doubt that this will continue.

Your shout about old crocks no doubt refers to messrs Kelly, Ruffer and possibly O'Connor.
In each case they have made a 100% recovery and will no doubt figure in this forthcoming Championship winning season...as in fact Kelly has already done with Ruffer on the subs bench.

re: Fearns. It's always been a mystery to me and others why no Conf club went after him. You seem to know some more info about that. All I will say is that I'm suprised that JC has now expressed an interest as it would appear on the face of it to be a desperate move to resolve a possible problem that exists.....at the moment!
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 09:29   #13
Junior Member+

But your logic is flawed CC. Just because most managers haven't moved for a player doesn't mean there is something wrong with the player. And likewise, because a player has attracted several contracts from conference clubs doesn't make him a world beater, can explain how Dean Howell could manage to con so many clubs?

Being signed by a conference manager is no sign of quality. Do you not remember our squad from three years ago?

In terms of the old crocks, great they're fit, but after a season of being sat in the stands and contributing nothing. I think it's fantastic that you can afford such luxuries, or can you? JH has always struck me as a manager who is better at dealing with his own lads coming through rather than in the transfer market.

As for Terry I'm not surprised if JC has expressed an interest, he's a goalscorer, everyone wants one. It's too early to say whether he can play at conference level, he's only had two games!
Old 25-08-2005, 12:38   #14
Resting In Peace

From confguide
Quote:
Terry Fearns has said he wants to stay at Southport, turning down possible moves to either Peterborough or Accrington Stanley.

Southport's top scorer has attracted the interest of Stanley it was revealed by Liam Watson at the weekend. Watson said: "I gave Terry permission to talk to John Coleman [Accrington manager] so he could decide if he wished to pursue his career at a club with full-time training.

"Terry's initial reaction was that he wanted to stay with us and compete for his place. That's what I wanted to hear. I will never stop a player developing as long as we profit at the same time. Terry is tied here on a long contract and I have no need to sell."
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..