Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2018, 15:31   #16
Full Member+

Re: Sold a ten year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Way too much pressure on a kid of 10, let him enjoy all the things lads get up while he's young enough.
Only problem with this is he will have to make the decision, should I be Footballer or a Drug dealer.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2018, 07:32   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyborn View Post
You could not have put it better Ossy Kid

Quote from Bobby Charlton- Not only was he the best player I ever played with, but was the best I have ever seen. His name Duncan Edwards.

He was 15 years old when he signed amateur forms for United
but the question is what was he like at 10. in the modern day of accadamies if he was a slow developer he might not have been heard of. at 10 i could hardly kick a ball and was one of the last to be picked when sides were chosen but 5 years later i was good enough to get trials at watford and halifax. a lot can happen in those few years and telling a kid who,s been around a club at 14 years or so he will not make it would be devestating for him.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
but the question is what was he like at 10. in the modern day of accadamies if he was a slow developer he might not have been heard of. at 10 i could hardly kick a ball and was one of the last to be picked when sides were chosen but 5 years later i was good enough to get trials at watford and halifax. a lot can happen in those few years and telling a kid who,s been around a club at 14 years or so he will not make it would be devestating for him.
I don't know what he was like at 10, but at 11 he was in the Dudley school boys team.
When age 12 he had a trial for England under 14 team.
At 13 he was in the England 14 and under team.
At 14 he was in England under 15 rising to captain.
Hardly a slow starter. All this, but could not be approached by a league club until he left school. His coaches were teachers.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:22   #19
God Member

cheers accyborn for the info. what i was really getting at though is what would have happened to him in the modern game if he had been a slow starter or went to a rugby playing school. just do not like this modern approach to kids football. they are kids after all and do go bragging to their mates saying things like they play for this or that club. years down the line you,ll find them playing in the sunday league or in other cases packed up the game.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:37   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
I don't know what he was like at 10, but at 11 he was in the Dudley school boys team.
When age 12 he had a trial for England under 14 team.
At 13 he was in the England 14 and under team.
At 14 he was in England under 15 rising to captain.
Hardly a slow starter. All this, but could not be approached by a league club until he left school. His coaches were teachers.
I do not trust Bobby Charlton's opinion, he was hardly Micah Richards.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
cheers accyborn for the info. what i was really getting at though is what would have happened to him in the modern game if he had been a slow starter or went to a rugby playing school. just do not like this modern approach to kids football. they are kids after all and do go bragging to their mates saying things like they play for this or that club. years down the line you,ll find them playing in the sunday league or in other cases packed up the game.
Exactly, that is what i am trying to say, a 10 year old is far too young for high pressure coaching. I agree with every thing you and ossy kid are saying. At the end of the day I blame the parents for allowing it.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 17-03-2018, 12:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I do not trust Bobby Charlton's opinion, he was hardly Micah Richards.
I saw Edward's play, and I can assure you he was a fantastic player. He had legs like tree trunks.
I also saw John Charles, he also was a fantastic player.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-03-2018, 13:02   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
I saw Edward's play, and I can assure you he was a fantastic player. He had legs like tree trunks.
I also saw John Charles, he also was a fantastic player.
You need to watch Rugby League, lots of thick legs there for you if that is what you are into.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 01:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
You need to watch Rugby League, lots of thick legs there for you if that is what you are into.
Thanks for that information Chewbacca, but silly me, I always understood that a prerequisite for Rugby League was a thick head.
Just shows you are never too old to learn.

Last edited by Accyborn; 19-03-2018 at 01:28.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..