Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2018, 16:40   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Southend United Thread

Hall just had a goal disallowed cos Ross was offside, poor lads having no luck getting his goal.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 15-12-2018, 16:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
..I'm going back to bed.
Me too.... & it's only 4-45pm here!!
AccyMad likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:46   #18
God Member

Don't suppose there's any chance of it being abandoned???
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 18:01   #19

Southend did a job on us today. V little between the sides, we probably played the better football in atrocious conditions, but had to work hard to create a clear chance. When we did, they defended really well, blocking and spoiling. When they could, Southend got shots off and looked to pick up rebounds in the box - first two goals came in this way. We had large amounts of possession 2nd half but didn't properly test their keeper. Plus they were good at the darker arts - Hughesy got a nasty challenge in the back that eventually saw him off. Not the best day at the office, but happened to meet a crafty, well-drilled side who made the conditions work for them.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 20:27   #20
God Member

Good summary from Phil.
Thought that a few Stanley players looked half a yard off the pace compared with their opponents and that Southend had Stanley’s game figured out. In the first half Southend used the strong wind by loping balls over the defenders, especially down their left wing. In the second half they knew Stanley would always try to play out from the back and so pressed every Stanley player as soon as they got the ball. They also pressed in pairs so there was always a blue shirt on hand to pick up the loose ball.
Not taking chances is a problem for the team but, today, so was being asleep at a corner, which led to their second goal, and getting isolated and then robbed to gift them their third.
Their No31, Robinson, was a real menace; if only Professor Coleman could find another striker with his speed and strength.
Revived Red likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 21:25   #21

Hi all

Southend supporter here. I'm not on to comment on the game, but to offer you this from our local newspaper regarding John Colman. Your guy earnt lots of respect from Southend fans today for his sportsmanship.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17...leman/?ref=rss

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
rootshallbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 22:15   #22

Perhaps more concerning than today's defeat is Mr Coleman's post match admission that he's repeating himself after every game.
'The score didn't reflect the game. We should have won. We didn't deserve to lose' etc etc.
All the above may be true, but after 4 league defeats in a row I don't think 'We've got to work harder' is fair on our players.
I wasn't at the match today, but at every game I've attended the players have always given 100% - win or lose.
I'd be interested to know from those who were at today's game whether they agree that the defeat was down to lack of player effort?
Or is it simply that we're up against better players & smarter tactics.
Last season we got knocked out of every cup in the first round & ended up winning the league.
I hope this season won't be one where we have cup success & end up in a relegation battle.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 22:33   #23
Senior Member+

Certainly not true to say that the players failed to give 100%. Without exception they did their best in atrocious conditions. Southend's first goal looked suspiciously offside, their second goal came from a failure to clear from defence, and their third was the result of a Stanley player being caught in possession. I thought we played well and created good chances - but we failed to make them count. As an aside, we were faced with another set of inept officials. The assistant referee nearest to us was clueless.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 22:52   #24
God Member

https://www.skysports.com/football/s.../report/393357

There was certainly no lack of effort from the players.
There were more close calls at either end than shown in the very brief 'highlights' attached.
Old 16-12-2018, 09:32   #25
Senior Member+

Stick by what I said.
Go two up top and you must have a defensive minded midfielder in.
Situation is even worse when your two up top have a bad day ....... which is exactly what happened.
I could see it coming and sure everyone else did when the third went in.
Another big test next week ......
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 11:13   #26
God Member

both stanley and southend were out of form in the league. we are in our usual november/december slump. lets hope we get back to winning ways on boxing day as plymouth away will be another really tough game as they seem to have picked up a bit lately.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 11:16   #27
Senior Member+

So have Shrewsbury .......
Old 16-12-2018, 12:53   #28
God Member

Don't buy this usual time of year slump we earned our right to be in this league and we are in a period of transition as we were when we were promoted from the conference we haven't done badly but it's pretty clear to me and probably to the management team some players aren't league 1 quality and as we aren't a cash rich club we can't just buy our way upwards. It wil take time 2 to 3 seasons to become established at this level and along with the marvellous off field work being done to the stadium and surrounding area we are going in the right direction.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 23:05   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
....Go two up top and you must have a defensive minded midfielder in. ......
I'm really struggling to see how having a 'defensive minded midfielder' would have helped Stanley score any of the chances they created (chances which, presumably, attacking minded mid fielders helped to create).
Old 16-12-2018, 23:11   #30
Senior Member+

I was talking about how they hit us on the break Exile. Defensively in midfield we looked short.
Agreed Barlaser and Finlay are good offensively but if it breaks down we look vulnerable.
Only my opinion before I got shot down.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..