Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2017, 02:52   #16

Re: Sports Hub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Petition started to keep Higham Playing Fields from becoming home to Accrington Stanley's new £2million sports hub (From Lancashire Telegraph)

A petition to stop it been built, some people really are a joke, don't the people of Accrington want to support the club? Don't they want the town to have facilities to help improve the town, this is a great project for the club and town and will hopefully encourage more young children too Stanley, suprised IT wernt the people near livingstone road complaining though they complains out everything else
Probably bothered that they.ll have nowhere to let their dogs crap if this project goes ahead.

Not so much as case of not in my back yard as not in my dogs toilet.
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL View Post
Probably bothered that they.ll have nowhere to let their dogs crap if this project goes ahead.

Not so much as case of not in my back yard as not in my dogs toilet.
if they are successful with their petition i hope they use it for fracking then.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:12   #18
Senior Member+

the club need to give serious consideration to leaving the hydburn council boundary
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
the club need to give serious consideration to leaving the hydburn council boundary
It's not April the 1st for a few weeks yet!

The crowds are poor enough without moving away from Accy unless you are looking for an Accy indyref cos they're the options for leaving Hyndburn
AccyMad likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
fc skipton stanley.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:30   #21
Full Member+

Is this not where the ladies play football? I understand there is some acrymony as they are being priced off their playing area. It has been suggested that the club want the land for a 4G pitch. If this is the case then this is unacceptable. Other people in this community have the right to play their sport at an affordable price. I think their is a lot more to this than meets the eye. As much as I support the club I fully support the retention of the playing fields for use by the community.
Shurm likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Is this not where the ladies play football? I understand there is some acrymony as they are being priced off their playing area.
local football in general are being priced off their playing area by schools or councils. in the bradford area its over 100 pounds for a 3g pitch on a sunday therefore they are unused as no one can afford them.as from next season teams will have to cut the grass and mark em out so more teams expected to resign.

Last edited by Neil; 12-03-2017 at 12:29. Reason: fix quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:19   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Is this not where the ladies play football? I understand there is some acrymony as they are being priced off their playing area. It has been suggested that the club want the land for a 4G pitch. If this is the case then this is unacceptable. Other people in this community have the right to play their sport at an affordable price. I think their is a lot more to this than meets the eye. As much as I support the club I fully support the retention of the playing fields for use by the community.
Chris, it's the Community Trust who are hoping to develop the new sports hub, not the club - they are run entirely independently of the club
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Chris, it's the Community Trust who are hoping to develop the new sports hub, not the club - they are run entirely independently of the club
The Accrington Stanley Community Trust (Registered Charity) web site is a real eye opener as to its wide involvement and varying range of provision of activities offered across Hyndburn and even Rossendale.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 13:18   #25
God Member

The reason schools and others are turning to 4G pitches is precisely because they can be used so much more intensively than grass. But both have to be paid for by those using them. As soon as one 4G game ends, another can start. That's not always the case with grass.
I know there's been lots of work done there but, from my memories of using Highams, it was often a water-logged mud bath in the football season. In later years, I was disappointed to look over Highams from my parents' house to see just how few games were ever being played there.
Every time there's a planning application there's a petition from the immediate neighbours who don't want 'their' view or environment to change. It's perfectly understandable human reaction, and we'd all sign it if the Hub was being built across the road from our house.
But surely ladies teams are precisely the ones that the Community Trust could and would be seeking to foster on a 4G pitch.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 13:37   #26
God Member

The ladies play on the Livingstone Road ground (behind accy end). They used to ground share withe Accy Amateurs but the Ams left, leaving the ladies to pay the rent entirely on their own. They were offered new kits and use of the new facility but they still voted to remain at the ground paying the rent themselves.

Unless they can be shown the light there probably isnt a lot can be done. They have a lease and they don't want to relinquish it.

Building anywhere else seems silly
Old 12-03-2017, 14:41   #27

Relocating to Cheshire might be a good idea. Who's there at the moment? Macclesfield? Surely we could plonk ourselves in the golden triangle of alderley/wilmsliw/knutsford. £500 for season tickets could fly out if we get it right. And yes, that means decent modern posh pies.

It would also serve as a massive thumbs up to the locals that never go, plus a lot of BBC staff live there and could be our new wave of celeb fans. Imagine sitting next to Holly Willoughby (in your heated seat) rather than boring old bumble?

I'd miss the long drive to Accrington of course, and the bonus of seeing my parents, but being back in time for final score would be some small compensation.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 17:58   #28
Senior Member+

the borough of hydburn is not that big (geographically)
there is no reason the club couldn't retain its name and just be outside the borough working in partnership with a council that appreciates the profile a football league club brings.

Time to ditch hydburn council once and for all
Gremlin likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 18:33   #29
God Member

Let's not get ahead of things. It wasn't the Borough Council which organised the petition. One local Councillor, who understandably feels the need to back the more vociferous of his electorate, does not equate to the Council being obstructive.
I suppose Stanley could ask Blackburn or Burnley if they'd like another league club, ask Ribble Valley if it has some spare land in the AONB, or beg those cash-rich neighbours in Rossendale to find a couple of hectares of flat land.
Let's wait and see what decision is taken, if it comes to that.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 21:46   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Relocating to Cheshire might be a good idea.
It would be closer to home for me as well but Little Budworth Stanley somehow doesn't have that ring to it...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..