Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2017, 19:19   #46
I am Banned

Re: Sports Hub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
But 4G (3G is just so 2016?) pitches can be used many times more each week than grass, so more people can play more games, and not just footie.
4G pitches will be able to be used when it's been raining for weeks it won't be a bog, one of the main points in the report out to the council one of the upsides will be the chance for more young children to use the pitches thus reducing the amount of fat kids
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2017, 08:15   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
4G pitches will be able to be used when it's been raining for weeks it won't be a bog, one of the main points in the report out to the council one of the upsides will be the chance for more young children to use the pitches thus reducing the amount of fat kids
a lot depends on how much is charged for the use of all weather pitches. around my neck of the woods in the sunday league about 6 teams used em last season but this season its zero. the cost of hiring nearly doubled. i know they have to get their money back as they only have about a 10 year lifespan. if it was a cycle track money wouldn,t have come into it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:31   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
You don't reduce the number of fat kids by them playing a bit of football, you reduce fat kids by educating parents how to feed their children correctly.

You can build a 4G pitch on top of almost anything, you don't need to waste currently available green space for that
Shurm likes this.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
a lot depends on how much is charged for the use of all weather pitches. around my neck of the woods in the sunday league about 6 teams used em last season but this season its zero. the cost of hiring nearly doubled. i know they have to get their money back as they only have about a 10 year lifespan. if it was a cycle track money wouldn,t have come into it.
The Council have been told they will charge no more than the council currently charges so the current users won't loose out.

I can't see that happening as the Trust will need to make money to cover costs so I hope that's tied into the contract with the council
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-04-2017, 19:46   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The Council have been told they will charge no more than the council currently charges so the current users won't loose out.

I can't see that happening as the Trust will need to make money to cover costs so I hope that's tied into the contract with the council
Wouldn't make sense to charge more than the council, You do that and it will remain empty, which is no good for anyone!

A 3G/4G means there is a facility to use all year round when the weather turns bad!

I can understand people's argument that it's using green land but most times I pass Highams it's either empty or very few people on it apart from dog walkers and Playing Fields are designed for sports to be played!...Just my opinion!
Old 07-04-2017, 20:31   #51

You should try parking on Thorneyholme on Saturday and Sunday mornings its packed and most nights during the week kids are having training sessions on there. It does seem to have become a kids football ground with smaller pitches etc but its still used by adults for cricket and rugby. Its probably used more than King Georges, White Ash and Bullough Park I would say.
KiTChener likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:58   #52

And the winner is Highams no surprise really it's in the Observer today, better plant a few horse chestnuts at the front as well
KiTChener likes this.
Old 13-07-2017, 19:54   #53
Senior Member+

Backing from the "local residents" too...

Laneside Residents Association Support Higham?s Sports Hub Plans | Accrington Stanley Community Trust
AccyMad likes this.
Old 13-07-2017, 22:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
And the winner is Highams no surprise really it's in the Observer today, better plant a few horse chestnuts at the front as well
Who owns the field between Highams & the day centre?

Seems to have been disused in the 20yrs I have lived locally.

Was away from area for previous 10yrs, but when we lived on Moss Hall Road, approx 1978-86, there was no fence between the two fields, & we had access to the whole area.

Maybe that field may be a better option?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 23:33   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Who owns the field between Highams & the day centre?

Seems to have been disused in the 20yrs I have lived locally.

Was away from area for previous 10yrs, but when we lived on Moss Hall Road, approx 1978-86, there was no fence between the two fields, & we had access to the whole area.

Maybe that field may be a better option?
I believe that area is owned by Lancashire County Council.
KiTChener likes this.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 11:32   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
I believe that area is owned by Lancashire County Council.
Apparently that land is being "kept aside just incase we need to build a nursery/school"

Not sure the point in keeping it fence off for atleast the time being!
Old 14-07-2017, 11:48   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Apparently that land is being "kept aside just incase we need to build a nursery/school"

Not sure the point in keeping it fence off for atleast the time being!
Quite simple; same reason people fence their garden.
If it's not secured people will use it as a dog toilet or a caravan park and, if they do that for long enough, they can then claim it's public open space, or a 'village green' whenever LCC finally decides it wants to build something.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 18:39   #58

The day centre was originally a nursery.

The land has been open once, years ago, to accommodate a circus when HBC declined to.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 07:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
No one seems to have asked any of my neighbours about it and no one I've spoke to is keen on the idea of losing the playing fields. It's got to be one of the last green areas in town you can play sports on with your friends, walk your dog, fly your drone (seen plenty of people doing this with children) and just chilling on the grass on a nice day or sledging when the snow comes

Seems such a shame after spending 2 years draining it and levelling it to probably fencing it off to the public unless you pay to use it !!

Just wish Livingstone Rd had been considered but in the Observer it was just mentioned it couldn't be used so it was always going to be Highams all along.

Money talks unfortunately and I feel this decision was made a long time ago I just hope this does work out when built. Moorhead round the corner has 3G/4G pitches with floodlights and the Sports Centre has them just how many more does the area need ? Could this new facilty not have been incorporated into the Sports Centre as I'm sure it could do with the investment rather than removing a green area from town.
Old 16-07-2017, 09:06   #60
I am Banned

https://twitter.com/n88ckd/status/886487977387491328
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..