Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2017, 16:17   #1
Senior Member+

Sports Hub!

Great news for Stanley Trust and the whole of Accrington in general!

Done unbelievable since they started in 2010. Getting the Stanley name into schools every day as well as involving people of all different ages and abilities, promoting the Stanley name!

Two possible sites earmarked for £2m 'sports hub' in Accrington - Accrington Observer
Old 02-02-2017, 17:27   #2
God Member

Re: Sports Hub!

Mr Fearon and his team are doing a fantastic job. Well done to all. Hope the funding comes through.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 17:35   #3

Well done
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 21:29   #4
Senior Member+

Can someone please remind an exile (me) where the Higham playing fields are?

Bells are ringing, but I can't lock on ........

I do know where the Wham is, though.
Old 02-02-2017, 21:42   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post

Bells are ringing, but I can't lock on ........

I do know where the Wham is, though.
Pretty much across road from accy crem
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 21:49   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
They are on the right hand side of Thorneycroft Road (on way to Accie Cricket Club) between that road and the railway line to Burnley. Used to be a swamp when I was a lad but the Council have done some massive remodelling recently.

Last edited by Neil; 01-03-2017 at 20:41. Reason: fix quote
Old 02-02-2017, 22:41   #7
God Member

The Community Trust is arguably becoming a bigger entity than the Football Club now!

Seriously though, the CT is doing massive things in the community and isn't shouted about anywhere near enough. There are frequent comments on here about "getting into the schools" etc ... the picture that follows tells you what they have done in the last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Community Trust.jpg (59.1 KB, 20 views)
AccyMad, baldy, sherry and 2 others like this.
Old 03-02-2017, 16:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Pretty much across road from accy crem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
They are on the right hand side of Thorneycroft Road (on way to Accie Cricket Club) between that road and the railway line to Burnley. Used to be a swamp when I was a lad but the Council have done some massive remodelling recently.
Ta muchly both!

Last edited by Neil; 01-03-2017 at 20:43. Reason: fix quote
Chimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 18:08   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Ha, ha. Shows I've been in Hampshire too long. It's Thorneyholme Road, not Thorneycroft!

Last edited by Neil; 01-03-2017 at 20:44. Reason: fix quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:19   #10
Senior Member+

Will the Stanley Squad be able to use it as their Training Ground?
(Where do they train at the moment?)
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 13:36   #11

Must admit that I didn't know much about the Stanley Trust until I went to the Supporters Club Presentation before Xmas - I was blown away hearing what they do. They are into ALL the schools, giving away Stanley Branded goodies to get the kids hooked. I really was amazed at everything they were involved with.

Would love the club to be able to make use of Old Accs pitches, that could make it a real extension of the club, with decent training & community facilities.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 20:32   #12
I am Banned

Petition started to keep Higham Playing Fields from becoming home to Accrington Stanley's new £2million sports hub (From Lancashire Telegraph)

A petition to stop it been built, some people really are a joke, don't the people of Accrington want to support the club? Don't they want the town to have facilities to help improve the town, this is a great project for the club and town and will hopefully encourage more young children too Stanley, suprised IT wernt the people near livingstone road complaining though they complains out everything else
Gremlin and monkey hanger like this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 20:51   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think the sports hub will be good for the area but not if it will mean a loss of freely accessible public land. Many of the users of Highams have no interest in football and use the area for other recreational activities. There is still not enough information about what land will be lost to the public. There is also concern about the funding and management of the facility. This is probably due to its ties to the club and the history of financial issues.
Shurm likes this.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:00   #14
God Member

I can understand people's reservations but at the moment as far as I'm aware, it's only at the stage of a feasibility study being carried out & I presume more detailed information will be available after that has been completed.
And yes, it's well known that Stanley have a somewhat chequered history with regard to it's finances although hopefully that is now behind us but the Community Trust including their finances is run completely separately to the club.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 18:57   #15

I notice that Accrington Cricket Club (adjacent to Highams) now have a football pitch laid out on their extensive playing field.
I think it's used for boys football. However, as cricket is a summer sport & footy a winter game, would it not be possible for Stanley to use this facility for training during winter?
Naturally the wicket would have to be protected, but there's enough space for 2 full size soccer pitches, even allowing for the wicket section.
I regularly walk past their ground & have never ever seen it flooded or waterlogged.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..