Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2010, 21:22   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stanley Bit's & Bob's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Theres always one to lower the tone of things
What else would expect of mates of mine mab?
Old 24-09-2010, 21:54   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What else would expect of mates of mine mab?
Oooops !...I thought that RR's quote from Jimmy Bell read...'A little niggle in the GRAIN'...and that my vague recollection of a joinery mishap ( With a Smoothing Plane!) in 1965 which caused some mirth at the time was apposite to the post !!,
So I can quite understand Mab's consternation at what he might have thought was a feeble effort at double entendre on my part !
What hurts Cashy, is that Mark would actually think that I would stoop to such a dastardly riposte to a post from my revered friend Revived Red !....who must now think that I am given to posting material of doubtful taste !!...

As to a Niggle in the Groin !!...NO COMMENT !!

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 23:28   #108
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Its just like watching Accrington:Stanley have a better record than blues! NewsNow: Loading story...
Old 24-09-2010, 23:49   #109
mab
God Member

One for you cashy..NewsNow: Loading story...
Old 25-09-2010, 07:29   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
One for you cashy..NewsNow: Loading story...
that link wont redirect fer me mab.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:47   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Oooops !...I thought that RR's quote from Jimmy Bell read...'A little niggle in the GRAIN'...and that my vague recollection of a joinery mishap ( With a Smoothing Plane!) in 1965 which caused some mirth at the time was apposite to the post !!,
So I can quite understand Mab's consternation at what he might have thought was a feeble effort at double entendre on my part !
What hurts Cashy, is that Mark would actually think that I would stoop to such a dastardly riposte to a post from my revered friend Revived Red !....who must now think that I am given to posting material of doubtful taste !!...

As to a Niggle in the Groin !!...NO COMMENT !!
The double entendre was mine. But I never thought it would bring you out of the woodwork, yonmon.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 17:34   #112
mab
God Member

Quote:
that link wont redirect fer me mab.
Here you go

Soapbox at Accrington Stanley: Joe Hinnigan, who’s Joe Hinnigan exactly?

Fans with long memories, or an anorakish taste for detail, will know the answer immediately. Pete Sixsmith offers a guiding hand to those less acquainted with the legion of former Sunderland players …

Not a great couple of days for us Red and Whites. A hangover from the bitter disappointment of Tuesday night was made even worse when the news came through of Titus Bramble’s arrest.

This was followed by the most unlikely win of the season to wit, that of the Mags at Chelsea. No doubt there will be a considerable amount of childish gloating going on from those of a black and white persuasion.
Let me state categorically that if the situations had been reversed, there is no way that Messrs Randall, Sixsmith, Robson etc would be making comments like “We beat the Champions, you lost to a team who were bottom of the league. Ha ha ha.”
Then, Liverpool lost to Northampton. After the initial chortling at this splendid win for the Cobblers, I got to thinking about the backlash that may well come on Saturday, as we go to Anfeld with three central defenders injured, one (presumably) with his head all over the place and probably without a recognised left back.
The pleasures of last weekend and the rousing draw against Arsenal seems eons away as we go into two games that will test our fortitude and abilities. Hopefully, the next two weekends will be as good as last.
It started on Friday night at Accrington Stanley, probably the most evocatively named club in the Football League. They were founded in the late 19th century and took the name from Stanley Villa WMC, before going bust in 1962.
Their crowds are not great, sandwiched as Accrington is between Burnley and Blackburn. It’s a small town, but is proud of the fact that they have clambered back into the Football League and they have a very clear identity. Managed by a former teacher John Coleman, they have a growing reputation for playing decent football.
That was evident on Friday last when they demolished Lincoln City 3-0, scoring three cracking goals and missing a fair number of good chances. The players are mostly young and appear to be pleased to have a job and they showed it by playing with a smile on their face.
Leafing through the programme, my attention was drawn to two famous names on Stanley’s staff. Asa Hartford (reference points: named after Al Jolson, West Brom, Man City, Scotland, hole in the heart) was in charge of their youth set up and the club physio was one Joseph Peter Hinnigan, better known as Joe. That was the Sunderland connection I always look for.
He was a marauding full back, signed from Wigan Athletic in 1980 for a substantial fee. He played 63 times for us and scored four goals all of which came towards the end of the 1980-81 season as we waged our customary battle against relegation.
The most important one came at Selhurst Park where he netted the only goal in an absolutely vital win. He was one of Ken Knighton’s signings in the pre-window days, when a player could be plucked from relative obscurity and given a chance in the top league. That doesn’t happen now. We have just spent £2m on a full back who appears to be out of his depth in the Reserve league.
That Palace game was one hell of a trip back. Older readers may remember a Unilever/British Rail promotion, where a certain number of tokens taken from Unilever cleaning materials gave you a 2-for-1 ticket. During that promotion, four of us travelled all over the country by train thanks to my ingenuity.
Rather than use buckets of Persil and Domestos, I used to go into a Cash and Carry at St Helens Auckland on a mission. As well as buying sweets for the school tuck shop (none of those now; thanks, Jamie Oliver and co), I would slip into the area where there were trays of Domestos and cut the tokens out of the wrappers with a small modelling knife.
This allowed us to have a jolly good time and this trip back from Palace was a snorter. The players were on the train and as we were sat in the buffet, we accosted them when they came in for a drink. I had a passing acquaintanceship with Stan Cummins and he invited the four of us into the first class area. What larks, Mr Pip.
Ale was quaffed in the company of Stan, John Cooke (now the kit man and the great survivor at Sunderland) and Joe. Stories were exchanged and secrets were divulged. We staggered off the train at Darlington, rolled down Victoria Road and on to the bus home.
I thought of that night as Joe came on to treat a not very badly injured Stanley player. He seemed a popular figure with the Accrington Pals and, as he dabbed the modern equivalent of the magic sponge on his young charge, I wondered if he was thinking back to those days at Roker Park when he played in front of crowds in excess of 35,000 and if he was pondering the many changes that he must have seen as a player and a physio.
Johnnie Watters had probably retired by then – it may have been Steve Smelt in charge of injuries. Whatever happened to him?
Off to Liverpool we go on Saturday, with hope in our heart and looking for our first win there since Gary Rowell slotted home a penalty and Mr Horan and myself ate black pudding sandwiches in a Thwaites’s pub on Scotland Road – a long time ago. Time for a repeat

Old 27-09-2010, 13:29   #113
Senior Member+

Have I got this right? The author of the article used to drink Domestos on the train with Joe Hinnigan on the way back from Sunderland matches?
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 13:54   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Have I got this right? The author of the article used to drink Domestos on the train with Joe Hinnigan on the way back from Sunderland matches?
Well possibly 99% right Mike !!...
Old 27-09-2010, 13:58   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Well possibly 99% right Mike !!...
99% Domestos and 1% water?

That sounds worth a try...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 14:13   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
99% Domestos and 1% water?

That sounds worth a try...

Followed by a Harpic Chaser..which would be good clean fun..BUT would send us right round the Bend !...
(The old ones are the best !!).
Old 27-09-2010, 14:21   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What have you been drinking Mike?
Old 27-09-2010, 14:25   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
What have you been drinking Mike?
This forum really is the place for unbridled humour eh Cashy ?...
Old 16-11-2010, 17:54   #119
mab
God Member

Reds welcome League delegation.

The Chairman of the Football League paid a visit to the Crown Ground yesterday afternoon as part of his regional visit to the North West.
Greg Clarke dropped in for a chat with staff and a tour of the ground.
"I took over as Chairman in February this year and what I've tried to do is make sure that me and the Football League staff get out to as many clubs as possible,” he said. “I've already done 30 games since I took over but midweek I also tend to drop in and see the people that run the club to chat about what's really going on in football.”
Whilst at Accrington he met Assistant Manager Jimmy Bell, Commercial Manager Martin Edmundson, Secretary Hannah Bailey and Managing Director David O’Neill who gave him a tour of the ground
Mr Clarke was pleased with what he saw.
"It has the feel of a proper football club, run by people who really, really care about the community and the club."
Old 16-11-2010, 18:24   #120

I hope he was shown the permanently empty and unnecessary seating they imposed, was questioned about the fairness of the Putterill paint pot exit and witnessed a staff whip round to pay the Southend disciplinary fine.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..