Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 10:48   #1
God Member

Stanley does Sligo

A few of you may have heard me mention about planning a trip over to sligo, so thought I would post this to guage how much interest there might be...

I am organising a trip on behalf of the Official Supporters Club to Sligo to watch the Sligo V Cork match on the 2nd Aug. Prob going over on Friday 1st and returning on either the Sun or Mon 3/4th.

I am currently looking at options of travel and accomodation so don't have any prices as yet, and that may depend on numbers interested. I have been approached by Granada TV to take a film crew along to record our weekend away for the documentary!!!

So any ideas people let me know if you are interested

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2008, 10:52   #2
God Member

Re: Stanley does Sligo

I might have a wander along HR!
Old 23-03-2008, 11:01   #3
Full Member+

I know when i mentioned this to my folks (the mexicans from the morecambe game a few years back) they were interested in going. They aren't very computer literate tho so keep me posted please.
Old 23-03-2008, 11:04   #4
God Member

cheers dabeast will def keep everyone updated on what's going on, just hoping I can get a decent trip price...but it will also depend on numbers...

to fly or not to fly...that is the question

Or do we coach it over, I am going to see frazer eagle soon to see if they can help in anyway

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 23-03-2008, 11:06   #5
God Member

Broached this with family & friends, really does depend on price itenary etc. but I would think between six to ten of us would definately be interested

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 11:37   #6
God Member

due to the fixture V's cork being an 8pm ko, weird how all their matches are evening ko's, a sligo fan has suggested a supporters footy match in the afternoon, what da ya reckon??

Old 23-03-2008, 11:41   #7
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
cheers dabeast will def keep everyone updated on what's going on, just hoping I can get a decent trip price...but it will also depend on numbers...

to fly or not to fly...that is the question

Or do we coach it over, I am going to see frazer eagle soon to see if they can help in anyway

Costs about 350 quid each way for a minibus over 8m long via holyhead - dublin on ferry. no idea how much a bus would cost to hire.

Flights direct to sligo currently about 100 per person but will increase each time someone books on. An alternative is to fly to Derry or Belfast International (domestic uk flights are 'generally' cheaper on taxes). Both airports about 2 hours drive from sligo.

The tricky thing with cheap flights is booking them at the right time and also you need the cash upfront for each passenger, making it difficult to give a price for anyone to go 'on a whim'. It might be worth speaking to Irish Ferries or Stena Line about the ferry options as they will probably be more flexible on numbers.

Hope you manage to arrange this I'm sure the lads out there will be surprised. From experience of organising something on this scale I wish you the best of luck it is a daunting task! If you need any help post on here or pm me.
Old 23-03-2008, 11:44   #8
God Member

depends how many go, is it 2 a side at the moment?
Old 23-03-2008, 11:47   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
depends how many go, is it 2 a side at the moment?
not if you include pendle red's six to ten

Old 23-03-2008, 11:49   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
Costs about 350 quid each way for a minibus over 8m long via holyhead - dublin on ferry. no idea how much a bus would cost to hire.

Flights direct to sligo currently about 100 per person but will increase each time someone books on. An alternative is to fly to Derry or Belfast International (domestic uk flights are 'generally' cheaper on taxes). Both airports about 2 hours drive from sligo.

The tricky thing with cheap flights is booking them at the right time and also you need the cash upfront for each passenger, making it difficult to give a price for anyone to go 'on a whim'. It might be worth speaking to Irish Ferries or Stena Line about the ferry options as they will probably be more flexible on numbers.

Hope you manage to arrange this I'm sure the lads out there will be surprised. From experience of organising something on this scale I wish you the best of luck it is a daunting task! If you need any help post on here or pm me.
That is my issue regarding flights as would need the money up front to do it!! Only prob with coach/ferry is the length of time it takes to travel and this may put many off... although the whole travelling can be also part of the charm if it is like a party atmosphere

I have had another request a la sligo and that is can we take the benin/boco flag...jase/sparkie???

Old 23-03-2008, 12:05   #11
God Member

May be cheaper to go across as foot passengers and get a coach from Sligo to do any running about over there. That way you aren't paying for the driver's time away from home and the coach being booked out for all 3/4 days
Old 23-03-2008, 12:09   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
May be cheaper to go across as foot passengers and get a coach from Sligo to do any running about over there. That way you aren't paying for the driver's time away from home and the coach being booked out for all 3/4 days
i see what you are saying Dave, but I want it to be the whole package and people not having to sort some travel arrangements themselves

Old 23-03-2008, 12:10   #13
Full Member+

Just found better flights for you at bmibaby. Flying to West of Ireland(Knock) (40miles south of sligo) cost 55quid per person
Old 23-03-2008, 12:13   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
Just found better flights for you at bmibaby. Flying to West of Ireland(Knock) (40miles south of sligo) cost 55quid per person
Personally I prefer the idea of flying but think it will be impossible if many want to go to get them booked and paid for.

I have found a flight direct to sligo for £75 but still need travel to manchester airport, unless that was under people's own steam!

Old 23-03-2008, 12:34   #15
God Member

Add Sparkie and I to your interested list please Lesley, not sure yet about Emily but best put Her down as well!!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..