Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Lord Didsbury
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 2 Post By DAV007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13   #1

Stanley glory hunter has faith tested but sees the light

the huge distance to Pompey meant I was enticed back to that other bastion of northern football that is Elland Road yesterday. All those memories from decades of glory, heartbreak, thrills, spills and bellyache that I had been part of were to be awoken.

What would happen? Stanley at a relative low ebb, the mighty Leeds resurgent.

Anyway, to cut a long story short there was not one thing better at Leeds than at Stanley.

The moans of 31,000 versus the vibrant songs and drums of a few hundred Ultras. £33 versus £9. The football less exciting, the fans less friendly (some were fighting amongst themselves after the match). There was no escape from the cold into a nice warm carpeted clubhouse at half time. Further away from the action...in a ground like Elland Road I would never be able to see the Don's muscles ripple as he glided down the wing. the list was endless.

And so, tempted by the devil I emerged from the wilderness. A Stanley glory hunter I shall remain.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2017, 11:17   #2
God Member

Re: Stanley glory hunter has faith tested but sees the light

Long may optimism bordering on eccentric lunacy remain a feature of the aristocracy.
And of all Stanley fans.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:45   #3
Senior Member+

When I read the topic, I thought this thread was about Cashman?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 13:14   #4
Senior Member+

Could have been worse - I was down the road at Bradford PA. 272 hardy souls. Watching the keeper deck the Bradford centre forward right in front of the ref after 20 minutes was the highlight .......... no keeper on the sub bench for Trinity.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 08:57   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Could have been worse - I was down the road at Bradford PA. 272 hardy souls. Watching the keeper deck the Bradford centre forward right in front of the ref after 20 minutes was the highlight .......... no keeper on the sub bench for Trinity.
you deserve a medal twenty eight for going to cold comfort farm on a day like saturday was. but at least you saw plenty of goals unlike the wham.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 16:24   #6

Smile Re: Stanley glory hunter has faith tested but sees the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
the huge distance to Pompey meant I was enticed back to that other bastion of northern football that is Elland Road yesterday. All those memories from decades of glory, heartbreak, thrills, spills and bellyache that I had been part of were to be awoken.

What would happen? Stanley at a relative low ebb, the mighty Leeds resurgent.

Anyway, to cut a long story short there was not one thing better at Leeds than at Stanley.

The moans of 31,000 versus the vibrant songs and drums of a few hundred Ultras. £33 versus £9. The football less exciting, the fans less friendly (some were fighting amongst themselves after the match). There was no escape from the cold into a nice warm carpeted clubhouse at half time. Further away from the action...in a ground like Elland Road I would never be able to see the Don's muscles ripple as he glided down the wing. the list was endless.

And so, tempted by the devil I emerged from the wilderness. A Stanley glory hunter I shall remain.
Lord D, sounds just like I imagined it would be. Just remember supporting Stanley you will only get one good season every 5 years, the other 4 are spent at the wrong end of the table...

Last edited by Neil; 14-02-2017 at 17:21. Reason: fix quote
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 17:40   #7

I've enjoyed this season more than last. Doing well in the cup has helped.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 07:54   #8

Thumbs up Re: Stanley glory hunter has faith tested but sees the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I've enjoyed this season more than last. Doing well in the cup has helped.
Hear! Hear! May our glasses always remain half-full......UP THE STANLEY!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..